The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Captm

Adventurer
I have not used the Traffic Master product mentioned in the earlier post. I'll have to go back and look up the product I used but it has not worn well and nicks up easily. My pocket door has rub thru the veneer, granted I should have taken the door off and planed it down. The dogs have scratched it up quite well. I feel the Amtico has a better formula for their product. I don't want to sound like I'm pimping their product but when I find quality I want to pass on the good word. Unfourtunately my product **** list is way longer.

pods8

Explorer
Sounds good. I was just wondering considering the basic floors the manufacturers put in most of these campers are roll vinyl.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was just wondering considering the basic floors the manufacturers put in most of these campers are roll vinyl.

Anybody know how much the basic roll vinyl floor weights per sqft? It is not lightweight either.

EDIT:
Okay, it looks to be between .5 to 1 lb per sqft. That puts the factory flooring (Eagle) at 10 to 20 pounds.
I feel much better about the added weight of my fancy flooring.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Started looking into Amtico a bit more as it sounds very promising and googling around caused me to stumble upon this site : http://www.yachteng.com/amtico.html which shows toward the bottom that one can get Amtico in Teak with White Maple. Googling a bit further on that subject brought me to a yachting forum that had a link for this : http://www.flexiteek.no/ . . . however the poster in the yacht forum stated, "... I am using another called Flexiteek on our production boats. It is a PVC-based material, very similar to real teak, easy to clean, really non-skid even when wet and only drawback is that it is as sensitive as real teak when it comes to stains of oil and grease. But it can be protected by a sealer to reduce this risk."

A little more food for thought ?

PS - have a look at the other tabs on the yachteng.com site, there are other products noted as well . . .

PPS - the DIY version of Flexiteek is called, "Isiteek" and both look a bit pricey for what you get (custom made for you or DIY). The Amtico is looking better and better :)

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
A little more food for thought ?

PS - have a look at the other tabs on the yachteng.com site, there are other products noted as well . . .

PPS - the DIY version of Flexiteek is called, "Isiteek" and both look a bit pricey for what you get (custom made for you or DIY). The Amtico is looking better and better :)

I had looked at FlexiTeak, but my bookmark for it is not working. If I remember correctly it was extremely expensive.

Amtico or iCore look to be the best choice for a long wearing and tough high end flooring.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Nathanael,
Yup, Flexiteek looks really pricey, especially when using the installed per square foot prices shown on the yachteng.com site.
Can't imagine the DIY Isiteek being reasonable enough to use in place of Amtico, etc....
Try the yachteng.com link and then click on the Amtico photo. It'll take you from there, but the Amtico site does not show the Teak with White Maple that I can find.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
This is a quote from a Jonathan Hanson article.

It was a reminder that a Four Wheel Camper is a genuine investment—as if prices on the used market weren’t reminder enough. We sold ours (to pay off our land) for 85 percent of what we paid for it new, despite all the use and mileage. [150,000 miles on two Toyota's]

Ack. I just reminded myself that we sold it. Take my advice: If you buy one, keep it. Who needs land if you have a home on wheels?

(Article found Here)

6836406-13934013-thumbnail.jpg

The amazing aluminum frame, a work of art.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
This is a quote from a Jonathan Hanson article.

(Article found Here)

6836406-13934013-thumbnail.jpg

I had my '91 Granby down to the frame two weeks ago. Even after 20 years and who knows how much abuse (at least one significant accident which broke one of the vertical tubes @ a rear corner) , it's still a great foundation to work from. Repair was strait forward once we got the skin pulled back - the biggest challenge is that the thin aluminum tube FWC uses (.040 wall) is too thin to reliably weld with a MIG.

The overall camper is pretty simple, which makes rebuilding them relatively easy and not too expensive.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Exterior Camper Lights

Just ordered some exterior lighting for the camper.

The light in the front will be controlled from inside the truck cab, and will be used while driving off road or when looking for a campsite in the dark.

The light in the rear will be controlled from inside the camper, and will be used when in camp and when things go bump in the night.

I hope to go places (in the dark) with these lights on my camper.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Those are awesome lights! I have seen the remote control ones in action, one on a boat, and one on a utility truck.

I was impressed!

One on each end of your rig should be perfect!

On another note, I'll be in your neck of the woods the last week of Sept. Going to try and get a spot at Esther Lake or Devilfish.

Going up for a week of fishing, grouse hunting, and Moose watching!:elkgrin:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Those are awesome lights! I have seen the remote control ones in action, one on a boat, and one on a utility truck.

I was impressed!

One on each end of your rig should be perfect!

Thanks! I have been wanting a GoLight setup for years and finally decided to give it a try. The remote function should be handy, and fun! Just need to figure out where I am going to mount them.

Sent you a PM about you coming to my corner of the woods.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater