The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Putting one in the rear will probably work well.

Maybe for the front one, put it on the front wall of the camper somewhere?

I don't think you will be able to attach one to the front folding lift panel, because there is not enough room up there for that. Our campers have a really nice, low profile cabover design, but with this design there is no extra room up in the cabover bed area for bigger items when the roof comes down.

The other thing that works well is making velcro hangers for items. These can be attached to the velcro strip on the inside of the camper (the camper velcro strip is normally used for the arctic package)

:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought one of these would work as a nice storage solution on the rear lifting panel. I am thinking keys, headlamps, and maps/brochures.

10564.jpg

I will also put one at the front of the camper, as a place to stash small things needed in the night.

Attachments

• hanger.jpg
    hanger.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 71

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Putting one in the rear will probably work well.

I don't think you will be able to attach one to the front folding lift panel, because there is not enough room up there for that. Our campers have a really nice, low profile cabover design, but with this design there is no extra room up in the cabover bed area for bigger items when the roof comes down.

Not going to have a dedicated bed mattress, so I will have about 4'' of cabover space to play with.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Not going to have a dedicated bed mattress, so I will have about 4'' of cabover space to play with.

I wanted to explain this a little better.

I have decided that I will be using my Therm-a-Rest Dreamtime XL as my bed mattress. I was then going to have couch cushions custom upholstered to work with my seating area. After doing some math, and adding up the amount of space dedicated couch cushions would take up when stored, I have decided that I will use the Dreamtime as the cushion for the seating area as well. Of course this is something of a major compromise, and most people probably would not want to do this. (I know a big thing in a small living space is to have as little "set up" as possible.) But the amount of space that would be used, and the need to be able to stealth camp with the top down, makes me think this is the best option for me.

So, depending on where I store my Dreamtime, I will have some available space in the cabover.

beer belly boy

Nice thread

Hi Overland Hadley,

Nice thread. I just started reading tonight and have only skimed over a few pages. It is bringing back memories.
I purchased a new FWC Grandby shell in 2000. I had it on a standard duty 2000 Silverado 4x4 for a couple years and used plastic Sterilite drawer units until I figured out the floor plan that works best for me.
I decided to up grade to an F-350 XLT 4x4 with every heavy duty option available in 97. My reasoning was that if I ever decided to go to a larger hard sided camper I would not need another truck. (Fuel was a little cheaper then.)
After going with the F-350 I did a custom wood interior. I used an alcohol single burner marine stove that fit into a drawer when not in use. I could carry it outside if I wanted to cook outdoors.
The truck was totaled in 2006 and my camper has been sitting in the garage ever since. I stripped it down to see it there was any damage to the water tank I had installed and never put it back together.
The camper became burried under junk. I just finished cleaning up the garage today and was seriously thinking about scrapping the camper tomorrow, even bought some sawzall blades. I haven't been on EP for a long time untill tonight. After reading some of your posts I may just save the camper.
I had a blast in it and hate to see it go, but sale or scrap it's gotta go soon. We no longer camp since we now have a cabin. I need to make room for my latest project, an 81 Scrambler.
I'll try and catch up on your posts and give you any advice I can.
John

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hi John,

Thanks for the post.

I hope you have not scrapped your FWC, even if it is totaled I bet there is somebody that would make use of it. Although I see that you are in PA, not as many FWCs out that way.

Do you have photos of your interior setup? I am always interested in seeing what other people have done.

Any advice you would have for my build would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

beer belly boy

It's gone, (almost)

I started scrapping it today.
I don't have time to put it back together and decided I wanted to keep the electrical system components for use in the Scrambler.
I'm not sure if I can find the pictures on short order. I know I don't have many of the interior. I can take some of the cabinets next week.
I probably still have some scetches of the floor plan. It was pretty basic. My theory was keep it simple and easily servicable or replacible. I was setting it up for dry camping, sort of a basic but comfortable approach.
I was able to keep an open floor area roughly 4'x6' IIRC. This was great for carrying tree stands, backpacks, screen house and so on. I did not have a dinette table, just used a small folding TV table.
There was a bench across the front wall. Under the bench was a water tank against the front wall. In front of the tank were two cabinets each with two drawers. next to these were the porta potti.
For a fridge I used an old Coleman ice box style cooler. The type that has runner style handles and an ice compartment and faux wood door. I had tried a 12v electric cooler and did not like it to much. It was a cheapy, not one of the high performance compressor types.
The cooler was in the rear passenger side corner, strapped to the side of the camper.
I used my camper for weekend camping with no hook ups in state forests or in fields at sprint car tracks. I also used it for month long stays at campgrounds with electric only while working away from home.
We did one three week road trip around Nova Scotia with the new interior and F-350. It was actually our Honeymoon. Everything work out great.
My next phase of the build was going to be a swing away tire carrier and installing a larger rear tank once the spare was relocated. The new tank was going to be plumed for the Espar heater. I installed the heater infront of the drivers side rear tire, between the inner and outter sides of the bed. It was accessible through a removable panel inside the camper. This did require cutting a hole in the side of the truck bed.
I'll see what I can dig up for you. It may take me some time with work and vaccation coming up.
John

pods8

Explorer
I started scrapping it today.
I don't have time to put it back together and decided I wanted to keep the electrical system components for use in the Scrambler.

If the frame was solid it's a shame you scraped it out, I'm sure someone would have grabbed it up.

eugene

Explorer
Yea, don't scrap it out, an electrical system is easy enough to make, the frame is the hardest part, skinning the outside and inside are easy too. If I had any $ I'd have bought the frame, I could transfer parts from my old camper into it.

Lighthawk

We just returned from our latest camp out with friends, hauling a large, smelly bag of food garbage in the 12" x 12" aluminum storage box I mounted on the rear of my Hawk. I've learned I can carry a military duffel full of firewood (oak 3-4" diameter logs from the all the downed trees in my neck 0' the woods), on the way out of town and carry trash home on the way back. Other times, we store a 5 gal. race fuel jug in the box which was the original intent. The firewood/trash hauling has just been icing on the cake.

beer belly boy

rear storage

I mounted a 10 gallon Igloo industrial cooler to my rear bumper. I used the OEM bumper mounting bolts to secure the cooler mount. In the summer I would put ice and water in it, sometimes canned beverages also.
In the winter I would put warm water in it. Hot water will expand the foam and make it bulge inside. I learned this the hard way.
This worked out great traveling with two large dogs. It also was great surfishing. I had water to rinse bait off my hands and a flat place out of the sand and wind to place my single burner stove.
I would also use it around the outside of the camper as a step stool to roll up and roll down the window covers. They were just out of my reach whith the camper on the F-350.
I would used a heavy duty nylon bag hanging from the cooler mount to hold trash.

John

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thinking about what to do with the space between the cabover and the truck.

I will use a wind fairing, not sure if I will custom make one or just buy a Thule fairing. Also remember that I am going with an 8'' shorter cabover to keep the camper behind the airflow coming off the truck.

gallery_2463_124_141323.jpg

gallery_2463_124_2030.jpg

Here are some interesting ideas for the space that was recently posted on WTW.

I've been thinking of putting together a fairing for the front of my 2009 Eagle on my 2004 Tacoma. Here are my thoughts so far:

1) There is quite a large gap between the cab and the bottom of the camper, since the newer models have taller cabs.

2) The large gap is wasted space, and not good aerodynamics.

3) If you mount anything to the top of the cab, you would have to remove it whenever you take the camper off, so why not attach it to the bottom of the cabover part of the camper?

4) If you attach to the cabover, you could use a box that is the max size of the space between the cab and cabover, make solid side doors that open, insulate the top (to insulate the bed area), and slant the front to create a wind deflector.

5) The box should be as light as possible, so make the frame of aluminum angle and skin it with light aluminum sheeting. If there was a place to buy FRP cheaper than aluminum skin, use that.

Some interesting ideas here, including mounting the wind fairing to the camper instead of the truck. I also like the idea of insulating the bottom of the cabover. This would make a major improvement in keeping warm while sleeping. My original thought was to make a small storage area and keeping and ARB X-Jack there. But maybe just adding some insulation and a wind fairing would fill the gap between the camper and the top of a Gen2 Tacoma.

Thoughts? Ideas?

EDIT: There is about 3'' of space to play with between the camper and the cab.

Last edited:

beer belly boy

Keep in mind that your cab and bed are on seperate body mounts and flex independently of each other, if the truck "twists" off road those dimensions could change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater