The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I've been wondering about the dometic 970 series toilets for my build.

At the moment for #2 where a cat hole isn't feasible and and outhouse isn't around I just used a couple gal bucket with a trash bag in it and cat litter. An actual seat seems like a nice prospect.

P.S. Don't ever drink out of the orange nalgene in my camper. ;)

That Dometic 970 looks like a good option for a small wet toilet.

A real seat is nice. I bought the PETT when my traveling partner had a bum knee, so squatting was not an option, and have taken it on each trip since.

I need to pick up an orange Nalgene...

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Anybody have any information about the shelter that is off the back of this FWC?

It was photographed at the Abenteuer and AllRad show in Germany.

Any info or leads would be helpful. Thanks.

tenti.jpg

fwcteny.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Also looking for some info on brackets for side mounted sand ladders. I have copied a couple photos below of examples. I can see the aircraft tie down rails, but what is the bracket between the rails that the ladders are mounted to?

Thanks for any info.

(These are also from the Abenteuer and AllRad show in Germany.)

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Weight of shell model?

Great amount of info here but I must have missed the estimated weight of a finch shell...how much less are you estimating the weight compared with a finished camper (est 660 lbs on FWC.com)...I still am having a hard time giving up the FWC flatbed idea on my tacoma...just worried about my payload...at 1200lbs I don't have much to work with...
Thanks
Matt

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
That was a "one off" custom built rear shelter from what I have heard.

One of the owners from our Germany Dealer had it made up as a sample to see how it worked and to see if it might be something worth selling.

The guys at the German dealership have been coming up with some cool ideas the past couple of years. Look forward to more advancements in the near future with the FWC options.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody have any information about the shelter that is off the back of this FWC?

It was photographed at the Abenteuer and AllRad show in Germany.

Any info or leads would be helpful. Thanks.

Attachments

• tenti.jpg
    tenti.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 50

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Also looking for some info on brackets for side mounted sand ladders. I have copied a couple photos below of examples. I can see the aircraft tie down rails, but what is the bracket between the rails that the ladders are mounted to?

Thanks for any info.

(These are also from the Abenteuer and AllRad show in Germany.)

Those all look like conversions from Tom's in Germany: http://en.toms-fahrzeugtechnik.eu/de/.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Great amount of info here but I must have missed the estimated weight of a finch shell...how much less are you estimating the weight compared with a finished camper (est 660 lbs on FWC.com)...I still am having a hard time giving up the FWC flatbed idea on my tacoma...just worried about my payload...at 1200lbs I don't have much to work with...
Thanks
Matt

Finch shell is 520 pounds.

I know what you mean about watching the payload on the Tacoma, that is why I am being such a nut about weight. Every little thing adds up.

One thing that helps is that I will mostly be traveling solo now, and that saves some weight. I am also being very careful to keep the weight in front of the rear axel, (main water tank is in the cab of the truck etc) making the weight I do carry a little kinder to my truck.

When I was researching a FWC for my Tacoma I added up the weight of the current setup I am using. Surprisingly, I will be at the same weight with a FWC as I am now. This is mainly due to the type of traveling I do, six to eight weeks at a time. (So I can carry a bulk propane tank and it will weight less than carring a few of the small disposable tanks.) I do need to be careful, as fixing out the interior quickly adds weight.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Look forward to more advancements in the near future with the FWC options.

Perhaps a rear awning/shelter from Germany?

It looks like a nice prototype. Typically I like to be able to break camp in less than two minutes, and would want to avoid carrying the extra weight. But there would be times (when staying for an extended time in one place) that I would be interested in carrying a setup like that.

Keep us up to date Stan.

chvy39z

Observer
I dont know if anyone is interested but I put a kill switch on my Tundra. I figure a thief isnt going to take the time and diagnose why it will not run if they try to steal it. Pretty simple to do.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I dont know if anyone is interested but I put a kill switch on my Tundra. I figure a thief isnt going to take the time and diagnose why it will not run if they try to steal it. Pretty simple to do.

That would be better than the truck being driven off with you inside the camper. What kind of system kill switch did you use?

(I remember there being a system highlighted in OJ a couple years ago, anybody remember the brand?)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Review of the Lagun table bracket

Review by leadsled9

I was lucky and got one of the last Lagun mounts before the huge price increase. With that said....knowing now how nice it turned out....I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even with the price increase. The table is such an integral and central part of the entire camper functionality. With such a small space inside of these campers...the table functionality becomes a major issue IMO. The before and after functionality of the table means having a table that can be easily adjusted to exactly where you want it.....instead of having a table that is always in the way.

A few issues that the Lagun table mount cleared up for me: 1) I had my table made to larger than normal specs...but that created an issue in that I couldn't open either lid on my under-the-seat storage to it's fully open position with the table mounted as the lids hit the table edge. Now I simply swivel the table over a few inches one way or the other to get full access to the storage boxes. 2) the table leg and mounting pedestal was always in the way for my feet...and I could [not] easily put my feet up on the opposite seat cushion....easy to do now. 3) I always had to dismount the table when traveling....not any more. 4) I like the table at different heights depending on whether I'm typing on my laptop or eating....easy to adjust now. 5) I like the table in different positions depending on what I'm doing....easy to adjust now. 6) the space between the two storage boxes is used for storing large items...and it was a pain to do with the table mounting disk in the way...no problem now.

The Lagun table mount is really a quality product. The materials and the machining work was top notch. My buddy didn't want to mess up the beautiful work on the original mount.....so he cut the necessary amount out of the MIDDLE of each piece...then welded it back together....ground it all down even....and refinished it with a beautiful powder coat. When he handed the mount back to me....I couldn't even tell they had been modified except that they were the correct length (see picture #1). You might want to consider doing the modifications the same way so as not to effect the machining or the design of the original mount. He did such a beautiful job and he wouldn't even let me pay him...so I bought him some Blue Moon beer....his favorite.

You may choose to alter the lengths of the vertical and horizontal mounts or not....but if you want to mount in the same place as I did...you will have to have the mounting plate modified so the nuts/washers will have clearance. The mount plate originally fit perfect if you didn't need the clearance. The height went right to the top edge of the shelf.

I advise those of you that wish to use a similar mount to get a table made that is larger than the standard FWC table. I'm very pleased with the way the mount turned out.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4643/page__pid__53997__st__0&#entry53997

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
So, who wants to help start a community collection plate so Natey-poo can finally get his camper? He's been saving for a year....that's like a new world record (for an American).

chvy39z

Observer
Overland
A simple kill switch you can make yourself. There is a fuse that controls the ECU,which you can pop the fuse,simply solder on one lead of that fuse a small switch and I put a fuse in series with that switch.The other lead of the original fuse is soldered to the other contact on the switch and completes the circuit when turned to the on position. You can hide the switch anywhere you want. Just leave it turned off until you are ready to drive it. I guess a simpler method would be to pull the ECU fuse every time but that would kind of be a pain in the keaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater