The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
That red wire probably goes to the exterior lights. I don't know about removing the carpet. Losing a lot of insulation that way.

Yes, I am now pretty sure the red wire is the hot wire to the exterior camp lights, and the green wire I found is the hot wire to the rear floods.

Good point about loosing some insulation by removing that piece of carpet, also a place that could form some condensation. Will be replacing the carpet with something, not sure what yet.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Could you show a pic of the interrior from the door so we can see waht a shell really looks like .Thanks .Good luck with it.

Here is a link to the FWC interior 360* view of a shell model. http://www.panowelten.de/index_htm_files/WK2-WEB_out.swf

That might help more than photos of my interior as my shell is not finished like normal shells. I deleted a lot of things that I was just going to tear out. No flooring, no carpet, no cushions, etc.

Please excuse the mess. Here is a quick shot of the interior. I will try and get a better view tomorrow.

img0538hd.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nice progress today.

The headliner trim started,

img0543tg.jpg

The Fantastic Vent opened up in preparation for a powered fan,

img0528ph.jpg

Starting prepping the lifting panels for the Blue Performance bags,

img0536d.jpg

Installed two Starlight camp lights,

img0531q.jpg

img0532eh.jpg

Also went to the builders supply and picked out the aluminum I will need for covering the lower part of the interior benches. And picked up a roll of insulation for under the finished floor.

Hopefully tomorrow working on the camper will win out over doing something uninteresting like taxes and laundry.

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Looking good to go!
Makes me want one of these even more. I think I'd rather have the creature comforts though. I do agree with having more weight on the pax side due to the driver side lean.

eugene

Explorer
Does toyota not offset the engine/transmission to the right some to offset the drivers side weight like other trucks?

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Hey Nathaniel, is there a chance you could post links to the things your installing when installing them? I'm sure you've probably posted links of these things earlier in your thread, but I can't seem to find anything about those organizer bags on the lift panels or the lights you mounted.

Cheers,
West

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Does toyota not offset the engine/transmission to the right some to offset the drivers side weight like other trucks?

The Tacomas have a drivers side lean. If they are offset it is not enough. The lean gets even worse when there is just a driver and no passenger.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hey Nathaniel, is there a chance you could post links to the things your installing when installing them? I'm sure you've probably posted links of these things earlier in your thread, but I can't seem to find anything about those organizer bags on the lift panels or the lights you mounted.

Cheers,
West

All the details and links to the products are edited into the first post of this thread. But I will try and post links along with things when they are finished.

Thought one of these would work as a nice storage solution on the rear lifting panel. I am thinking keys, headlamps, and maps/brochures.

10564.jpg

I will also put one at the front of the camper, as a place to stash small things needed in the night.

blueperformance.com

Thanks to westyss for posting information about his outside light.

The Smart Light with Star Monitor

lightve.jpg

Best place to buy looks to be on ebay.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Looks like the heavy tanks and storage will fit nicely across the front floor. Careful planning is paying off.

img0545s.jpg

Storage cases, camper's water tank, propane tank. The trim compressor is not going to be a permanent part of the camper.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
So it appears that, when you buy a shell model, you miss out on several cu ft of storage below the bed rails...? Or am I missing something?
The normal campers are cut different in the bottom section to make more interior space.

pods8

Explorer
So it appears that, when you buy a shell model, you miss out on several cu ft of storage below the bed rails...? Or am I missing something?
The normal campers are cut different in the bottom section to make more interior space.

Look closer, hinged lids over the space you are thinking is missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater