The Time Has Come: My GX build

TexGX

Explorer
I finally decided that I would take a whack at building my tire carrier. I think it came out pretty nice. I will run it like it is until I decide there are changes needed. Pic:

IMG_20121119_131730.jpg

IMG_20121118_192247.jpg

IMG_20121119_172614.jpg

TexGX

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Clean and simple, I really like it.
What did you use for the hinge side?

TexGX

Explorer
I used a 3/4 inch bolt thru a solid piece of tube that had a 3/4 inch hole. Welded two tabs on either side of the main bar with 3/4 inch steel plate.

TexGX

Explorer
The weekend after Thanksgiving a group of us did a quick camping trip. I went to load my trailer up on Thursday night and realized my tire on the carrier is too low. I will correct that this weekend and move the plate. The tire carrier did work great on the trip. I am very pleased so far. The Wednesday before, I stopped by Sierra Expedition to install something I needed for awhile now. Can you find it? It is hidden.

Winch.jpg

The truck is really coming together. The new shocks made a huge difference on the trail. Being I did not have the trailer, I was able to test things out a little more.

TexGX

TexGX

Explorer
JaminGX,

Thanks. I bought the hidden winch mount from Asfir, but we did have to fab up a filler plate behind the bumper.

TexGX

Explorer
There is a gap between the plate and the plastic bumper that has to be filled some how. It is about 4 to 6 inches.

TexGX

Explorer
Finally finished the tire carrier. I had to add the receiver hitch, trailer plug and light for license plate. I tied the main bar into the frame on both sides. No affiliation with Hannibal, just won the tire cover at a rally.

Bumper.jpg

TexGX

Explorer
After living with the bumper for awhile, I decided that not being able to open the rear door while attached to a trailer was not going to work. I redesigned the rear swing out to just one side of the bumper, but left the tire in the center for looks. I also added a stop to keep the bumper from swinging around too far. I seems to be working out great.

Rearbumpershort.jpg

TexGX

NOIBN

Observer
After living with the bumper for awhile, I decided that not being able to open the rear door while attached to a trailer was not going to work. I redesigned the rear swing out to just one side of the bumper, but left the tire in the center for looks. I also added a stop to keep the bumper from swinging around too far. I seems to be working out great.

View attachment 158001

TexGX

I'm not following what you did there?? I can see the latch moved, but I'm not seeing how exactly it changed. Maybe a pic of it open would show it better??

TexGX

Explorer
I shortened the arm. It ran the length of the bumper, but it would hit the trailer hitch when attached. I made it shorter so I can open it with a trailer attached. I then had to remake the arm for the tire. I will try and open it up and take another pic. Working well so far. Thanks for looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism