The Time Has Come: My GX build

BonnerBB

TexGX - did you drive your vehicle with the tricked rear air suspension before you replaced the rear shocks to ICON?

TexGX

Explorer
BonnerBB,

I did not, but I see no problem with it if you don't go past the normal high setting.

TexGX

TexGX

Explorer
Took the GX up to Colorado for my big week long trip. Everything was fine until I made a driver side turn up a switchback over a ledge and popped the rear airbag off. I had to ride out on the bumpstops. Not wanting to have this happen again and with airbags taking a week to get in at the local Toyota dealer, I decided to switch to coils. I will miss the leveling feature, but will gain a ton of confidence that I will not get stranded with a popped airbag. I found the OME coils up at Safari in Grand Junction. After an eight hour round trip, I had the coils. I would have loved to spent more time at Safari, but a friend was driving and in a hurry to get back. I think my wallet would have been lighter if I stay around any longer then I did. I found a local guy in Durango willing to get me in the next day. Lance at 4X4 and More really did a nice job. He had to fabricate upper and lower coil mounts. After a full day of work, the truck looked great. The ride hieght was perfect. I spent the rest of my time in Colorado testing everything out. The truck actually rides better then it did with the airbags set higher. I am very happy with the results and ride.

TexGX

Coils.jpg

TexGX

Explorer
A few pictures of the trip after the coil switch.

Colorado2012 002.jpg
Favorite Campsite
Colorado2012 010.jpg
View from above
Colorado2012 013.jpg
View from chair
Colorado2012 016.jpg
Baby Big Horn

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Bummer that had to happen on your vacation but looks like you wound up with a more robust setup in the long run. Sorry we couldn't hook up while you were here. Next time!

DanKunz

Adventurer
Still waiting on my turn in the shop. They are building an expo trailer in front of me, then my rear bumper is on deck. Should be a few more weeks for a quote, then coordinating the actual build time.

Should be faster now, since I opted to wait for SAS because the cost was so high.

TexGX

Explorer
A few updates:

I still love the ride of the coils. I have no regrets taking out the airbags.

The other day after talking with Hunter Off-road at his shop, I was rear-ended on the freeway on my way home. It looks like the rear bumper is my next priority. I am looking at a single swing out with tire and rotopak. I will need to wire back up lights and my rear view camera to the swing out. I am wanting something fairly light but I do tow trailers, so need it to be strong.

I am having snorkel envey. I love the look of Bundu Gear's Iron Man on the GX. It might be next after the bumper.

TexGX

DanKunz

Adventurer
My snorkel was extremely easy to put on (also Iron Man). The only trick is the inner connections as the fender is a VERY tight fit. The back bolts are almost impossible to tighten. Let me know when you get one and I would be happy to share any hiccups/fun that you might run into.

Getting rear ended is always a love hate thing, you hate getting damage, love the insurance check and the excuse to add a mod! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism