The Triple Threat Grand Cherokee (2003 WJ)

theksmith

Explorer
thanks guys!

my axle swap has more or less been done for a bit. of course now there are some new issues to work out though... hoping to have it ready for a test run very soon and i'll post full details then. i'm having trip-withdrawl-sickness currently!

teaser:

P1020994.JPG

theksmith

Explorer
Are you still heading to GSW? I hope so I want to check out your rig!

unfortunately not going. even if i get all of my known issues worked out in the next couple of days, too many things are unproven - the entire drive-line and half of the suspension changed and i haven't had it on dirt yet. i don't want to be "that guy" everyone is waiting for to fix his junk on the trail. unexpected breakdowns happens to all of us at times, but heading to an event with completely untested mods would be irresponsible.

hopefully next year (been saying that for 3 years!)

theksmith

Explorer
Nice rig! Where did you pick up your burrito warmer? I haven't seen one like that.

yeah, the inline-6 jeeps have a nice flat area on the manifold that you can just throw some tin-foil wrapped stuff directly on. my v8 engine bay is way more crowded!

so i took a medium sized loaf baking ban, riveted a hinge to it and to an aluminum plate that i cut to match the shape of the pan (to be the "lid"). then added a magnetic latch on the front and a high-heat handle screwed to the top of the "lid".

i had to move a couple vacuum hoses slightly and had to make one little steel bracket to hold it (which mounts to where the ABS module bolts in nearby). it rests right on the valve cover and just below that is the exhaust manifold, so it stays toasty. it's tucked in there and just barely fits actually. i had bought 3 sizes of pans and the middle size was perfect.

P1110131.JPG

Your Jeep is outstanding!

thank you very much!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Very nice setup and some great ideas. After awhile you get used to the scratches and dents to the point that you become ecstatic when you hit a rock so hard it dents your sliders or belly skid, and you keep trying the same line your buddy's buggy on 38's just went up! And I haven't been to GSW in the 12 years I have owned my Jeep, I prefer smaller groups and going in cooler weather, and especially avoid EJS. On our trip to Moab almost 4 weeks ago one of the people in our group had a food warmer on their manifold that cooked up some tasty salmon for all of us to try. I read the entire thread you posted from your Colorado trip and it made me miss Colorado a lot, lived in Colorado Springs for 7 years. I haven't done that particular trip, but did do a few passes including Hagerman and Mosquito, as well as Wheeler Lake. Utah has some great wheeling spots, but nothing like Colorado.

theksmith

Explorer
so a few updates.... mainly i'm chasing vibration problems since the axle swap. but in between that:

i was giving it a nice cleaning the other day when Noche decided to help

P1110910.JPG

i finally installed a speedo corrector after having lived with the speedo/odo/mpg all being off for years. the full writeup is here...

P1110932.JPG

my friend Number 7 helped me with a few things, including new ball joints in the used JK axles

P1110958.JPG

took it for it's first run since the axle swap. didn't really hit the full limits, but overall made sure nothing was completely wrong. i did kill a shock, but it was several years old. i think i'll spring for some limiting straps.

270772_1936120517901_1088970932_31684481_2208941_n.jpg

270176_1936124037989_1088970932_31684495_1528064_n.jpg

DSCN0057.JPG

also took the new Kodiak tent out for it's second trip, really loving it now that the sticker shock has had time to wear off!

P1030448.JPG

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

srmitchell

Observer
Love the build man.

I'm an xj guy, but my dad has a 2004 WJ. I love it.

I'm getting some thoughts about selling my xj and upgrading to a WJ. Are you happy?

theksmith

Explorer
i miss the more nimble handling of the XJ sometimes, the rear leafs (and only ~4" lift that i had) made it more fun to haul *** on forest roads and pitch it around the corners.... the WJ rolls around corners after the 6" lift like a boat on the high seas!

other than that - i love the WJ! the V8, a little more room, the V8, more towing capacity, much nicer interior, the V8, the heated seats, the pretty decent soundsystem, and mainly not having my right leg cramp up due to that damn wide hump in the middle (i'm tall)... oh and the V8 ;)

overall it's just a different level of vehicle, but everything costs twice as much for it and there is half the aftermarket stuff even made for it... so again, not apples to oranges at all. best i can describe is if you've ever driven a base TJ and then driven a limited XJ... the WJ is like that sort of up-step in many areas, but even much more disconnected from the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl