The Triple Threat Grand Cherokee (2003 WJ)

theksmith

Explorer
rear storage

until i one day have a rear bumper with tire carrier, i keep the tire inside as i don't like it on the roof. stacking stuff on an uneven shaped tire has always been a problem during trips as well as getting to the tire without unloading everything. so here was my solution:

P1090805.JPG

P1100109.JPG

P1100117.JPG

the tire will easily slide out while everything stays loaded on top of the platform. this allows me to get the tire out as well as access the spare tire well underneath it where i have the batteries and air tank.

P1100131.JPG

the bag in the center of the wheel is spare parts. i also use the "corner" space between the back seat and tire to store spare fluids in 64oz nalgene rectangle bottles, and also have room for the spare front and rear axle shafts to sit in there - oh and some spare metal for emergency trail repairs with the battery welder (yeah, the back end of this thing is heavy!)

P1100127.JPG

and while i was at all this, i incorporated a pull-out table for making food and such when on trips (was intended to match the fake wood interior):

P1100111.JPG

P1100121.JPG

the table is on lock-in/lock-out slides and has been one of the greatest additions i've ever done to the jeep!

also added a light inside the rear hatch that shines down on the table and immediate area when on. the light is from Adventure Trailers and was 'spensive but very bright and has dual red/white led's to allow it to be on and not ruin night vision:

P1100751.JPG

P1100791.JPG

P1100790.JPG

here's the table in use as an emergency foul weather cook station:

DSCN4653.JPG

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
random photos

was messing around and made a couple cool designs from some of the shots of my WJ (style goes with our whole Offroad Passport stamp style logo):

expo:
wj_stamp_01_small.jpg

flexo:
wj_stamp_02_small.jpg

thought they'd look good on a shirt, so i got some:

489262334v10_480x480_Front_Color-Natural.jpg

also did a buddy's XJ and TJ too in that style for fun.

here are a couple pics that a photographer friend took when i brought him along on a trip, just thought they came out nice:

OffroadPassport20101016_0022.jpg

OffroadPassport20101016_0084.jpg

one of my other favorite pics is from a crazy little last minute run to see some snow (trip report here: http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881)

P1020467-hdr.jpg

then i was messing around on ebay the other day and i bought this old magazine ad for the jeep to hang up:

pinnacle.jpg

and with some quick playing in photoshop, i was seeing what it would be like to put my jeep into that pic ;)

adpshop.jpg

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
the last major trip was a return to the Mojave Road in February (brrrrr).

this was a great trip, we had sportsmobiles, chevys, toyotas, fords, jeeps and nissans with us. we weren't sure of what we would find as far as river depth or the "dry" lake conditions and so was a true exploratory expedition!

a great pic from my friend Diane:

DSCN6256.JPG

some of my shots:

P1110153.JPG

P1110254.JPG

P1110275.JPG

P1110315.JPG

P1110216.JPG

rolled over 126,500 miles exactly as pulled back onto pavement at the end of the trip!

P1110318.JPG

coming home we took an alternate route (back-road) which turned out to be a mud fest!

P1110328.JPG

P1110360.JPG

still had a great time though!

P1110359.JPG

theksmith

Explorer
OBHS - On Board Hot Shower

wanted to mention this mod because it makes those long trips better, the on-board hot water shower system.... it uses the engine heat to warm up water and uses a RV pump to push the water. there are different commercial systems like this, some use battery pumps, all sorts available, this was my attempt at a DIY system.

the pump:
P1100044.JPG

the heat exchanger:
P1100062.JPG

the interface:
P1100070.JPG

first test:
P1100078.JPG

cover for the interface:
P1100793.JPG

so you start the jeep. hook up one hose to the interface input and drop it in a 5 gallon water jerry can. hook up the shower hose to the interface output. flip the "on" switch. adjust the temp to your likeing. take a shower! the on-off valve on the shower head allows you to turn the whole system on/off because the pump senses a pressure build up and shuts off. the hot output is has a thermostatic mixing valve that regulates the temp so that you don't get scalded after having water sitting in the heat exchanger while you were busy soaping up. there is also a "cold" output that bypasses heat exchanger so in the summer if you want a nice cold shower you can have that too.

the full writeup (including plumbing diagram) is here: http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754

future plans are for an onboard water tank integrated into the system instead of using water jerry cans.

UPDATE - had to replace the connectors due to rust issues, info here:
http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13246#post13246

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl