2nd Gen Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins / The “Puller” Project

landman

Also here are some pics when I was in Moab a little bit ago. Don’t mind the missing light bar, someone only tacked the mounts in and didn't full weld them in. 🙈

IMG_9930.jpegIMG_9935.jpegIMG_9892.jpeg

landman

What do you capabilities do you expect to gain after this new round of SPENDING that you do not already have???
You seem upset.

To be honest it this round of SPENDING sounds like a fun project, so I wanna try it. It will give me a little more clearance, my steering system will be the largest improvement with the hydro assist (For all the obvious reasons).

I wont do all this if it upsets you though….

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You seem upset.

To be honest it this round of SPENDING sounds like a fun project, so I wanna try it. It will give me a little more clearance, my steering system will be the largest improvement with the hydro assist (For all the obvious reasons).

I wont do all this if it upsets you though….
Spend On!

None of my business how much you SPEND of your money!

Looks to me like the truck is already plenty capable which prompted my question of what you expect to gain.

Clearance and steering I understand. Has this been a limitation in where you can go?

landman

Spend On!

None of my business how much you SPEND of your money!

Looks to me like the truck is already plenty capable which prompted my question of what you expect to gain.

Clearance and steering I understand. Has this been a limitation in where you can go?

Thanks for your go-ahead …. My world was paused waiting.

Yup, truck is super capable as is, but just sounds like a fun engineering/build/“figure it out” project to do the 37’s. Plus I have yet to build a hydro system, so I‘ve been looking for a rationalization to do it.

The clearance has been an issue once in a while, but not super often. I don't take trails if it’s obviouse ill be dragging my my gear all over the place. During the times I have been in difficult spots having to realign many times or take super tight corners in heavy rocks the 35” and stock under powered gear box makes turning a noticeable effort (which is annoying after a few hours). At a dead stop in the same terrain, it can be very hard to turn the wheels and the steering gear box really hates that.

I recently drove my buddies truck with hydro assist and it was amazing. 1 finger to turn the wheel at a dead stop. Also it’s amazing how it makes the larger truck track dead straight down the highway, no wandering (which 2nd gen Dodges love to do). So getting rid of the wandering alone for long road trips will make a huge difference.

Last edited:

shellb

Adventurer
I sub’d to your build from the very beginning so that I would be notified when you’d eventually post it up for sale.

Looks like I’ll keep waiting for the notifications!

Such a great truck and build. Happy to see you posting!

landman

Just had the 37s mounted to check for clearing issues. I had to trim the bottom of the fender a little for now and maybe more later, but for street driving it clears great stop to stop. I’ll flex it on the lift soon to really check that. Ill probably come back in and do some sheet metal work and close that cut area back up.

This Friday ill be starting the PSC hydro assist (and associated fitment & bracket fab work) + rear leaf shackle flip extension brackets (getting rid of those block finally), the new 4” exhaust, new rear bump stops, and a few more odds and ends.

I think once its done, flexed out on a trail, checked, and double checked ill do a full walk around update video also.

I hope you all are having a nice week.

IMG_5857.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg

landman

Well, it’s been a slap fight to say the least, but let’s dive into the rear end first. I ordered some shackle extension mounts/flip kit from a company called hog back Fab out of Colorado. The purpose of these was to remove the 4.5” lift block from my rear axel And also gain about a 1.5” rear lift to level the truck out. I originally wanted to simply order new progress springs for Alcan, but to get rid of the big lift blocks and still get a 1.5” life in the rare the leaf pack would have to have been super arched and it would have become way too stiff. Plus my stock leafs are very goId with the weight I have in the back.

These new brackets were good and super beefy. The only down side is the that bolt holes don’t totally line up with the old industrial rivet holes so I had to drill out the frame a little more to make them fit. I also had to decide to do some welds to keep them in place for long term.

Also I installed a new 4” exhaust system. I ended up shortening it since the new leaf pack setup would have been in the way.

I added some new bump stops as well. I have some Barnes4wd Dana 80 bump stop perchs to weld in, but I will go flex it out first before putting those in place.

IMG_5876.jpegIMG_5877.jpegIMG_5879.jpegIMG_5880.jpegIMG_5881.jpegIMG_5882.jpegIMG_5884.jpegIMG_5885.jpegIMG_5886.jpegIMG_5887.jpeg

Last edited:

landman

Front end has been a bear, but it’s getting there. Its not total done, but for now here is what I have going on.

1) New steering gear box from PSC went in well. I had to cut a little but of my bumper away to allow the bolts that hold the box to the frame to come out, but easy all around.

2) I mounted the PSC Res on the intake side of my motor using some of the OEM bolts there. Seem like a good as spot as any.

3) The new PSC pump went in, but on the first test drive it failed, just put in the replacement (warranty) in yesterday.

4) I had custom crimped lines made then using those threaded on lines. I also had 2 spare made to keep in the truck at all times.

5) For now I put the ram in the same spot where the steering stabilizer shock went. It wont be there forever, but it will be there for now. I am reinforcing that mount area as it was never meant to have the forced the ram will put on it. I should have those new brackets made and installed by weeks end 🤞.

The ram will live in a different spot eventually, I dont like how it’s exposed to rocks, but for now it will be where it is. It’s gunna take a lot of thinking and playing to move it to the other side (drive side) and for the next few months I don't have that time. So it is what it is for now.

IMG_5888.jpegIMG_5891.jpegIMG_5892.jpegIMG_5893.jpegIMG_5894.jpeg

landman

IMG_5889.jpeg

With the new PSC gear box being offset more from the inside of the frame the old steering gear box supporting bracket wouldn’t fit. So i cut it, moved it over, and re-welded it in with some extra support. Made sense to keep it.

IMG_5911.jpeg

ExpoMike

On the rear shackle flip, that kit replaces the front and rear spring hangers? I have seen some that just replace the rear and once you remove the lift blocks, the pinion angle is all out of wack. I am happy with my current springs but want to get rid of the blocks. My '97 Ram I had National Springs build a custom pack, built to the weight of my camper (was on full time). I loved the way it rode (11 leafs) but they are gone. Did you measure you pinion angle before and after?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner