The_ExploreMore_4Runner - The Go Everywhere 3rd Generation 4Runner

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What are you shopping for? I just bought a '96 runner on monday. It's my 3rd vehicle after the 3500 and Land Cruiser, but I wish it had some of the goodies yours does!

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
I came across a 2006 GX470 that was too good of a deal to pass up. Just hoping to find a good home for the 4Runner! It's dead set for anyone looking for a weekend warrior kit.

Arktikos

Explorer
I cannot believe your truck is still for sale at that price. Stoked to see where you go with the GX.

Yes, it has a lot of money invested in add ons. I'm beginning to wonder if fuel pump failure is a common issue with these. Any history of fuel filter being changed ? That may have been the cause of mine failing at 144K miles, about a year after I got it. Though it had been well maintained otherwise, I found no history of fuel filter replacement. My fault, I should have changed it immediately after buying.

Are you sure GX is bigger than this truck? I'd think they're about the same.

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
I couldn't find much in the history about the fuel filter being changed. The pump gave signs of giving up the ghost for awhile in retrospect.

It would occasionally have trouble turning back over right after shutting it down. Once the pump got switched out, never had that problem again!

The GX is a bit larger, but not by a dramatic difference. The V8 to V6 is the most noticeable change. It's certainly not a whale like a 200 Series, but the larger cargo area is perfect for the dog and will still fit through PNW trails.

almony9

Keepin It Alive

I was strolling thorough the forum searching for past 4Runner builds and what do ya know. Came across this. The 4runner is doing well. I have been trying to tackle some maintenance items. Swapped the Motor, Trans, and Tcase(Manual J-Shift). Just replaced the bushings on the R lower control arm.

Attachments

• 4Runner Maint.jpg
    4Runner Maint.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 30

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
So stoked to see that you are helping extend its life! Some days I miss it.
Hope to see it on the trail soon!

I am the same way with mine. Ironically, my buyer also just swapped the engine.

That little 3rd gen will always have a place in my heart. Served us well for many years, 100,000 miles, and countless memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk