Those that have run AirLift 1000 bags?

RACKMAN

Observer
To those of you that have run the Airlift 1000 (in coil) airbags in your jeeps...Have you found that they have/do hold up well? Air leaks/tears/abrasion from coil rub/etc? Do they hold air reliably enough to NOT have to install an automated system to maintain pressures? After exhausting all existing off the shelf coil springs(in terms of finding a heavy enough spring rate for the rear of my VERY heavy LJ), I'm installing a set of Airlift bags in my rear coils(which are OME 4" with 235lbs/in) and hoping to just fill up the bags with my compressor and check the pressure once a week or so. Eventually, I will plumb the bags into a tank with a regulator and use my OBA compressor to automatically maintain set pressures...but I'd like to put that off for a while if possible. Any other tips or advice for using/installing these bags? Thanks.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have a set in my 2005 Jeep WK for towing. I only have them plumbed into the stock schrader valve mounted in my rear bumper, will put in a pump some day. About 12 months in and they hold all the air I put in them, they don't drop pressure at all. They are amazing, at 25 PSI I can town the trailer and eliminate all rear sag. I played with the pressure and can tune the ride quality.

Never going back.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The only issue they have at the dealer here with the airlifts are people not keeping an eye on pressures. Once they goto zero, and they freeze they can stick together from the moisture in the air when you fill them. then, when people goto inflate them, they split. However, the warranty is awesome and a new bag is over the counter to replace it. but if you keep them with 5 psi or so, you will never have this issue. I am running them for load carrying as well.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got them in both of my 2006 Wranglers. The set in my red pickup has been installed for almost 7 years now and works fine. The set in my black LJ leaked down once without me noticing and when there's no air in them, they can spin around when the springs compress, which will twist and eventually destroy the air hoses. I called Air Lift wanting to buy new air hose to replace the damaged one (only the passenger side got damaged BTW, don't know why only that one did) and they sent a new hose kit to me for free. I replaced the one hose and they've been fine ever since.

LJ8TJCompare1_zps222afeb9.jpg

kojackJKU

I've got them in both of my 2006 Wranglers. The set in my red pickup has been installed for almost 7 years now and works fine. The set in my black LJ leaked down once without me noticing and when there's no air in them, they can spin around when the springs compress, which will twist and eventually destroy the air hoses. I called Air Lift wanting to buy new air hose to replace the damaged one (only the passenger side got damaged BTW, don't know why only that one did) and they sent a new hose kit to me for free. I replaced the one hose and they've been fine ever since.

LJ8TJCompare1_zps222afeb9.jpg

I officially hate you now. ha ha! awesome rigs....I WANT A ROOF!

RACKMAN

Observer
Well this is good news and feedback. Thanks guys. Any comments regarding the articulation being severely limited when off-roading?

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I've never seen these before but I expected them to be much more expensive than they are. Looks like amazon has them for $81 right now. I'm going to have to look into them closer to help with sag when my trailer is finished.

RACKMAN

Observer
I've never seen these before but I expected them to be much more expensive than they are. Looks like amazon has them for $81 right now. I'm going to have to look into them closer to help with sag when my trailer is finished.
thats another reason I'm doing the bags...going to be building a trailer with RTT so another 150-200lbs of tongue weight...

kojackJKU

Yep, bags work great if you keep on them. make sure there is air at all times. just 5psi when empty. or more when needed.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The only comment I have about them other than "They Rock" is that I can hear them sometimes in the coils. Not loud, just a squeeky rubbery sound from time to time. Certainly not annoying... just there. My friend uses them in his RAM 1500 1/2 ton. He said the difference in towing with and without was night and day, and he uses a load leveling hitch too. Removed all sway and improved ride dramatically.

And so cheap!!

kojackJKU

The only comment I have about them other than "They Rock" is that I can hear them sometimes in the coils. Not loud, just a squeeky rubbery sound from time to time. Certainly not annoying... just there. My friend uses them in his RAM 1500 1/2 ton. He said the difference in towing with and without was night and day, and he uses a load leveling hitch too. Removed all sway and improved ride dramatically.

And so cheap!!

The reason why I am using them too. Keep my jeep on the level, and in control when I have my trailers and a load in tow.

yaya

Hi all. I just finishes installing a set in my jk this afternoon. I have a steel rear bumper, tire swing, roof rack and a rtt. That bites into the wight limit capacity without even starting to load up for a outing. By that time the jeep would be significantly affected, limiting the break over and departure angles. Anyhow, I pumped up to 15 psi, which raised the rear by a 1/2", and went for a quick drive. I noticed the difference immediately.
Btw, install with the valve facing up and run the air hose through. The instructions must be generic and show the valve facing down. I called the tech support just to make sure.
Good luck.

kojackJKU

Yes, I am running my hoses through my teraflex spacers, into the bags. Then putting my valves in the bumper tucked away.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
An update on mine - after having the leak problem and fixing it (the fitting in one of the bags worked loose and was leaking, Airlift replaced the bag free) I decided to install gauges in both Jeeps to monitor the air pressure. I highly recommend installing a gauge if you're going to run the Airlift bags, now I always know the status of the bags.

GaugeInstalled_zpsvoq2xl7t.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat