Thoughts on 5.8 in E350

Dirtysailor

I am new here and am really into the expedition van concept. I have been trying to locate my own project and came across a 96 E350 long body with the 5.8 L Ford. I have been a GM guy all my life, so all kidding aside know nothing of the Ford engines. It has plenty of room and but engine mileage is 179K. So just looking for some advice from those on here who know more than I do around how well this engine holds up over time, and any big issues to look before going to look at it.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
The 5.8 will hold up just fine over time the question is how well it was taken care of til now.
If you're considering purchasing this van/ motor I would try to do the best check on it possible, by that I mean leak down test and compression test and obviously check all fluids and spark plugs while you're there. Hopefully that will help you did you to determine the condition of the motor and how much longer it will last.

dar395

Adventurer
Sometimes I change my mind, I just purchased a nice straight E150 with the 5.8, put a little work into her and took the 1st trip to LBL and all the way down to Memphis TN. Round trip 1815 miles. I drive anything Ford or GM, my pick-up being a Ford Sport Explorer, Daily Driver GMC Yukon and my 1st Van GMC love them all.

The Ford Van, 5.8 with just 17k on her was way underpowered when compared to the 5.7 GMC, the trans always searching up and down when pushed in the higher hills of TN, the 5.8 just did not seem to have the toque of the 5.7, the GMC in the Rockies never had this happen, Ford: just hills of Tennessee, sometimes it's not just the motor but the tranny as well, give it a he!! of a test drive.

The Ford as far as visibillty was better than the GMC by maybe 15-20%, but three other glaring items were the foot space on both the drivers side and pass sides of the Dog House, on a long drive this was murder, the suspension was like a wave ride where the GMC nice and steady/solid (Remember mine was a E150 not E350), than the back doors GMC/GM opening much greater access if your truly looking at the Camp side of the van. By the time you take the frame rails for attachement, factory frame battery boxes, wall bracing for paneling all better in GM's, the Ford would be passed on if it were me hands down.

Meeting a van traveler with a Chevrolet Astro with just 231k on her I made a deal to sell the Ford and was very happy to return to the GMC/Gm product line. I hope that the new owners are happy with her, I was glad to see her go!

mikracer

Adventurer
5.8's are pretty solid motors. I had one in a '95 Sportsmobile (2wd). As someone posted earlier, it did feel underpowered to me as well, but my application was a fully dressed Class B motorhome with 3-4 people and camping supplies. If you are planning a light build, I think it would be ok...just don't expect to win any races.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
The 5.8L is the venerable 351 Windsor small block Ford found in many Ford Truicks, Broncos and Vans. Great motor with a very good service record. 180,000 miles is a lot of miles for any engine if oil changes were few and it was used hard. I have a '96 E250 RB Sportsmobile with the same engine, that we are building into a Sportsmobile we will be able to abuse hard. We are building it with 17 inches of front wheel travel and about the same in the rear with FOX Bypass Shocks, 37" tires... we won't be afraid to get some rock rash on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk