Thoughts on an 2005 Ford F-250 as an overlander? (And just in general)

My Quadvan project is going on a truck to a new home tomorrow, and while I'm sad to see her go, the money will get me something that doesn't need a new engine.

And right now, this is the frontrunner candidate for a new daily driver/light expo vehicle:

2615.jpg

2005 Ford F-250, 5.4L, 4WD, 5-speed manual and zero options. Doesn't even have carpet inside the cab, just the way I like it-but what it does have is a big service bumper and a 12,000 pound Warn winch.

What it ALSO has is the infamous 5.4L tick. From what I've read, opinions are pretty split on whether that's completely inconsequential and can be fixed with either a sensor or just 15W40 oil, or it means the engine's about to explode.

I've seen quite a few of these trucks on here, and I really like that one, ticking aside. But, aside from the Quadvan, I've never owned a Ford before. What are people's thoughts on the gen-1 Super Duty trucks? Anything to look for, anything to avoid, known major problems, ect.

If I did buy it, plans would be pretty minimal to start-some more lights, a sleeping platform in the back, maybe a levelling kit and some 35"s since the tires on there only have a year or so left in them.

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
I have owned three 4x4 Super Duty trucks, albeit all with 7.3s. My current DD is the same configuration as that truck, ECLB. Even with the boat anchor of a 7.3 and a steel bumper on the front of mine, it rarely has trouble going where I want to go. Its no jeep but with 35s and that lightweight motor, your biggest problem will be width. Length doesn't come into play nearly as often, and that being an 05 it has a much tighter turning radius than my leaf sprung 99.

As far as the engine tick, use it as a negotiating point. If you get a good enough price on the truck, anything is repairable. Odds are you can fix it cheap and just change the oil regularly. I make a little side money parting out busted Super Duties and I have seen very few 5.4s "exploded". Ford makes a solid truck, and with a base model interior and a 5 speed you won't have many issues.

If the price is right, go for it. It's a sweet rig already, with a head start on the expo mods.

Yeah, the price is solid-$12,000 for ~160,000 KM (Which, in the Yukon, is a good price)-it's cheap because it's such a barebones truck, but the total absence of options is actually the whole reason for wanting it specifically.

I'm not too concerned about it being a hardcore offroader-if I want something that turns like a Jeep, I'll just use the Jeep I own already. :p

I told them about the tick already. They're looking in to it, and most of the fixes for it are pretty cheap too. I'm a little gun-shy on engine problems after that van, but at the same time my TJ has ticked like a clock for 100,000 KM now, and still runs. If they don't fix it, I'll probably try and bully either new tires or a contractor cap in to the deal and see what happens.

TeamWild

Observer
Look up cam phasers. This is usually the cause of the 5.4 tick. There are even youtube videos on how to replace them. I have a 2004 5.4 2v and I haven't had any issues with it. It has been a solid truck.

Look up cam phasers. This is usually the cause of the 5.4 tick. There are even youtube videos on how to replace them. I have a 2004 5.4 2v and I haven't had any issues with it. It has been a solid truck.

Yeah, I just heard back from the dealer and they've been replaced already. So it's either just sensors or needs a heavier oil.

They gave me service records and the truck has been really well-kept, so it looks like if the bank says yes, it's a go.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Great choice. The Excursion has the same frame and lots of the same parts as an F250 and I drove the crap out of my X. I had it in High School and part of college and, looking back, I'm surprised that I got to some of the places I did. One problem I know of is the spark plugs being ripped out. It usually happens around 100,000 on the odo with the V8 and V10 engines...make sure they've been replaced which I assume they have....if they haven't then make sure the mechanic working on it knows about the problem. They tend to just break off and you have to get a new head or you can get a helio coil I believe is what they're called.

Other than that it is a solid platform. Not small like the F150 but not overly big like the F350. And it's manual which you don't see much of

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal