Thoughts on Full-Size overland build? 2018 Ram Power Wagon 68k miles

clawfilm

Figure out what type of trails you'll run and how often and buy or build a vehicle to suit your needs. That powerWagon certainly looks great and the modifications are first class for the most part, but are they appropriate for your abilities, strength and goals? For example, I'm almost 70 and in pretty good health. But I struggle with remounting an 80 pound wheel when I rotate them or after a flat. Those 40 beadlocks probably weigh more than 100 pounds each. As I age, I am always trying to adjust what I can do with what my body is capable of.

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 with 152k miles on it. I purchased it used in 2018 with 18k miles and have only added modifications to make it as reliable as possible. While lifting trucks seems to be the first thing new owners do, I have always been of the belief that the engineers who initially design these vehicles generally know what they're doing so it still sits at its original height on stock tire size. I replaced the bed with a flatbed so I could carry my camper but all of the suspension bits that wear out have been replaced with upgraded components without altering height, drivelines etc.

Knock on wood, in 7 years traveling all over the US, up to Tuk and Deadhorse and down to the tip of Baja, it has never left me down. Many of those miles were offroad on a variety of trails and I have always made it through. Since I live in the midwest, I typically travel days on the interstate to access trails in the west and having a pretty stock vehicle makes those highway miles relatively drama free. have traveled with friends with heavily modified and lifted trucks that have experience all sorts of problems because their modifications to one part caused problems with others. Some of my friends actually started trailering their rigs to avoid interstate driving since the modifications make the ride horrendous.

After a long search, I did buy a 2015 Jeep Rubicon last year that was pretty bone stock but worn out. I intentionally avoided all the "built" rigs for sale for a variety of reasons. I replaced most of the worn drivetrain, and added a small lift but it still runs on the stock wheel and tire size and its not a bad ride, even on the highway, and I'd be comfortable taking it on most trails. I modified it based on what my goals and capabilities are, not on what looks cool. I can't say whether $80k is too much for that truck or not without seeing it but I agree with others that there are lots of vehicles out there going unsold because the owners expect to be repaid for their choices. Find a blank slate and make it yours.

Cheers
Thanks for taking the time to write this. It’s helpful to hear. Yes the beadlocks are no joke in terms of the weight.

I’m fortunate to be able to treat this truck like an RV. I won’t be using it as a daily so intend to keep accruing miles on the hwy + trails. Hopefully that will help the longevity of the truck. I have a shop near me that is used to working on these type of vehicles to help tackle any problems I might have out of my scope.

Glad to hear your 152k miler is still going strong!

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Brand new Power Wagons with the much better 8 speed tranny are trading in the low 60's in Utah. Tradesman models in the mid 50s. Full factory warranty has some real value especially if you extend it before the bumper to bumper is up. A real key with any recent new vehicle with all the issues across all brands. Power Wagons are great but payload is really bad. I'd buy a 2500 or 3500 and mod it. You'll love those 40s for everything except for your regular life.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
You'll love those 40s for everything except for your regular life.
When you have 40s, you don't have a regular life. Every trip is a parade, every meal is a banquet, every meeting is a congregation, every narrow trail is Lion's Back, every turn is the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, every Influencers/YouTuber wants to be you, every tire salesman wants to be with you 😇

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
When you have 40s, you don't have a regular life. Every trip is a parade, every meal is a banquet, every meeting is a congregation, every narrow trail is Lion's Back, every turn is the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, every Influencers/YouTuber wants to be you, every tire salesman wants to be with you 😇

Haha. I have a love hate relationship with my MPT81s. As in I hate them for anything on pavement!

Last edited:
Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete