Thoughts on Ram ProMaster FWD Vans?

homemade

Adventurer
If I get serious about a Promaster I'll probably try to rent one for a week and see if I like it or not.
Regarding E series vans, I had a E150 conversion bought new in 1990. I enjoyed it but never want another, the engine hump encroached badly, it handled like a barge (the conversion was minimal and light weight) and I would never want to take it "off road" even if it would have had a 4wd. I also had a '95 Astro AWD, I think that was functionally great. I was plowed in snow parks and got out without shovelling or chains (I did have studded snow tires) snow higher than floor worked well on ice with the studded tires. The ?4.3 V6 had plenty of power. The ergonomics were horrible - the engine hump made the passenger seat miserable unless maybe you only have a right leg, the driver side floorwell wasn't much better. the windshield roofline was so low that I would have to duck down with my face on the steering wheel to see traffic lights and it made it impossible to enjoy scenery on a drive. I have/have had RWD, FWD,AWD and 4x4 (F350 and xterra). FWD might not be perfect but I would take it any day over RWD alone capability, I don't plan to have a rear heavy vehicle or tow so that might make the stated FWD issues less of a problem.

KMG

Adventurer
Don't over look the Nissan NV.
Full frame with a 5.6 V8. No engine doghouse interfering with leg room. Haul 4,000 lbs., tow 9,000 lbs.
I have 12,000 miles on my NV3500 Quigley 4x4 with zero issues! Great vans!

IMG_0556.jpg

mojogoat

Observer
Be careful, the amount you haul, lessens the amount you can safely tow, the transmission can only work so hard and brake performance.

simple

Adventurer
The width of the Promaster at it widest point, where I have my bed set up, is 6' 3" and that's with insulation on both walls plus the fact its lower overall was the the main selling point for me. I was able to configure a setup in a van 19.5' long. Easier to get in and out with one less step in and, less affected by wind as it has a lower CG and less height. My total height is 9' with the AC on top.

Of all the vans manufactured for the north American market (new and old) the cargo space in the promaster definitely has the best design.

jmp81sc

I think the NV may be the best offroad option.

It is smaller, heavier and gets worse gas mileage; but probably the strongest and easiest to convert to 4x4.

Lots of great options out there, and in a few years the used market will open up for the DIY crowd.
John

xleratin

I don't know what anyone else has for experience with these vans, but we have two of them for company vans which are both 2014. We have had nothing but problems with them. It seems like they have spent just as much time in the shop than as on the road. It has been nothing major, but just consistent small things that need replacing, and the headlights burn out like nothing I have ever see before. On the positive side however, they are one of the most nimble vehicles of that size I've ever drive. The maneuvarbility of them is pretty impressive for such a big vehicle. If they were offered in 4wd I would be impressed. They seem to be well thought out...just leave a little to be desired in terms of reliability.

simple

Adventurer
I don't know what anyone else has for experience with these vans, but we have two of them for company vans which are both 2014. We have had nothing but problems with them. It seems like they have spent just as much time in the shop than as on the road. It has been nothing major, but just consistent small things that need replacing, and the headlights burn out like nothing I have ever see before. On the positive side however, they are one of the most nimble vehicles of that size I've ever drive. The maneuvarbility of them is pretty impressive for such a big vehicle. If they were offered in 4wd I would be impressed. They seem to be well thought out...just leave a little to be desired in terms of reliability.

Are your vans early 2014's? Seems like the first year of any newly produced vehicle can be plagued with bugs.

KMG

Adventurer
Be careful, the amount you haul, lessens the amount you can safely tow, the transmission can only work so hard and brake performance.

Yes. I should have typed "Haul 4,000 lbs. or tow 9,000 lbs". Thanks for the correction.

wanderweg

Man, I take my Sprinter deep into the 'cut' sometimes. I hope the doors don't fall off of it, but so far, it seems so solid and responds like a rwd truck. With the right skill and risk gauge up in your head (or no risk gauge at all) you can really go quiet a few places. I've always thought RWD was a better choice than FWD in big vehicles. That way you can throw sand in the back and gain traction by equaling out the weight as much as you can. Men my dads age took RWD all over the desert. Mostly company trucks commandeered for the purpose of desert excursions. The stuff they did twisted and smelling of bourbon back in the 60's would have me stumped with a lifted Baja racer. So, a little courage goes a long way in where you take your vehicle, above and beyond the discussion of off-roading parts and lift kits.

xleratin

Are your vans early 2014's? Seems like the first year of any newly produced vehicle can be plagued with bugs.

Yes they are. Could be the problem. We went with them over mercedes due to the massive price difference, and for the most part they have worked really well. The amount of material you stick in one is pretty impressive. Just got a lot of bugs to work out.

rkariniemi

What can are you referring to? I'm thinking about a transit or Nissan nv but I'm open to all ideas. I want a good reliable van w off-road (mainly really bad forest roads) capable van

Stevigee

Speaking of Promaster. Im thinking about the 3500 diesel and doing a conversion and wanting to tow my 2dr jk. Dodge states it has a tow rating of 5100lbs. and payload of 4100. Has anyone heard of a diesel promaster towing a jeep?

macman58

KMG, like you I am a big fan of the NV, though I haven't pulled trigger on buying one yet. I'm surprised there's not more buzz on this site about them. How's the gas mileage on V8? Still debating V8 vs V6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL