Tight-lines and Timelines, a Wyoming and Montana Wandering

TheGreenBeast

Minus the fly fishing (which I've never done but seems like good fun) this is an awesome trip. I'm sad I couldn't make it this time. Stupid money... Keep the posts coming!

40tude

Adventurer
Day 10

This was our Yellowstone Day, it was amazing the amount of wildlife we were able to see in just one day, luck was on our side. I will go ahead and let the pictures do the talking for the most part.

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

Weasel?

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

The story of this grizzly cub was pretty funny, there were a bunch of people taking photos of a black bear (we were too), but when we turned to leave Mrs. 40tude somehow managed to spot a momma grizzly about 80 yards behind us (which quickly dipped out of sight and no one else even saw it), the cub was less shy.

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2668%2520-%2520Copy.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

40tude

Adventurer
IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2762.jpeg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2828.jpg

We stopped to fuel up right outside the park in Montana in order to get a fishing license. Sometimes I learn from my mistakes. It was already basically dark and now we had to find a campsite, which was harder than I thought (Montana was not exactly camper friendly). We also dipped into Idaho momentarily, somehow I didn't realize I had routed us through Idaho. After midnight we finally found somewhere to camp.

IMG_2838.JPG

IMG_2853.jpg

40tude

Adventurer
Minus the fly fishing (which I've never done but seems like good fun) this is an awesome trip. I'm sad I couldn't make it this time. Stupid money... Keep the posts coming!

I don't know what this "Minus the fly fishing" stuff is, but it sounds like blasphemy.

caprob

It's a fantastic sport. I use to fish over near Aspen. (Basalt Outfitters) also up in New Hampshire. I have a 3-5 for trout and a #12 for Tarpon/Sails. Lot's of work though with all the false casting. I had a question for you since you use to live out by Vail/Aspen/etc. Do you know of any offroad Gentlemen like competitions out there? Thanks in advance. PS liked your pictures.
Rob

caprob

It's a fantastic sport. I use to fish over near Aspen. (Basalt Outfitters) also up in New Hampshire. I have a 3-5 for trout and a #12 for Tarpon/Sails. Lot's of work though with all the false casting. I had a question for you since you use to live out by Vail/Aspen/etc. Do you know of any offroad Gentlemen like competitions out there? Thanks in advance. PS liked your pictures.
Rob

40tude

Adventurer
Rob

I can't say I know anything about any off-road comps out there. How does one catch sailfish on a fly rod?

grogie

Like to Camp
Day 9

The mosquitoes that night were unbelievable, we had to get in the tent without spending any time outside. They were stacked on the tent walls, and some came in with us. We thought we had only brought in one or two, but after turning on our light, the horrors were revealed. Armed with only our headlamps we waged for endless minutes killing over 20 of those buggers.

Well mosquitoes are Wyoming's state bird after all. :)

40tude

Adventurer
I apparently needed a kick in the pants for a long overdue update...

Day 11

We awoke to what seemed a nice enough campsite.

IMG_2877.jpg

We then found out that the lake had some sort of disease and fishing and boating were prohibited...yum.

This was the potable water listed on the map.

IMG_2881.JPG

The world's second fastest animal is a pretty good runner. This was right after some guys on dual-sports blew by us on Red Rock Pass.

IMG_2888.jpg

Further down this deserted road I spotted a helicopter zooming through the canyon. (hmm?) A few minutes it was in the middle of the road. Apparently an older gentleman out camping had collapsed, I am not sure as to the outcome.

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

This day turned into our Historical Education day. I would consider Nevada City a must stop for anyone in the area, it is an extremely cool place. All the old buildings are fixed up as they would have been in the heyday of town.

IMG_2935.JPG

They also had a bunch of old music-making machines which were still working. Mrs. 40tude got all hopped up on sasparilla and danced around like a fool. (no pics)

IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

Also present in town was what I can only imagine is the coolest overland rig ever.

IMG_3025.JPG

Next we were on to Virginia City, another ghost town type of deal, but more more touristy. Not my style...except for the ice cream.

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_3041%2520%25281%2529.jpg

40tude

Adventurer
There is a Taco Bus where we live in Florida, and apparently in Dillon, Montana. I have scientifically deduced that any Mexican food from a bus is splendid.

IMG_3053%2520%25281%2529.jpg

Care to guess the next stop?...another ghost town! This time it was Bannack State Park. The town of Bannack was apparently donated to the state under the stipulation that it not be fixed up to look like it did in the day (ala Nevada City), but must be kept in true ghost town fashion.

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3093.JPG

First jail in Montana

IMG_3079.jpg

Rules for teachers, I was a big fan...the teacher was not...may or may not have caused an argument...

IMG_3142.JPG

2013%2520trip%2520055.JPG

On the way to find camp we played peek-a-boo with this little guy for a while.

IMG_3203.jpg

That night we camped a Twin Lakes which was not a bad little place at all, and I caught a few brookies.

2013%2520trip%2520057.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

Foy

Explorer
Ahhh, you read my book!

You nailed my suggestions, 40tude!

I maintain that the food at the taco bus in Dillon is the finest Mexican fare that can be found anywhere.

Bannack has held my fascination for 35 years, through a half-dozen visits, including 3 Bannack Days festivals.

I've only visited Twin Lakes but will spend some time, and fish for some brookies, next time out that way.

Looking forward to more on your most excellent trip report.

Foy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater