Tilting a Maggiolina RTT for more Aero & Toys

Lisponger

I just acquired a 1997 Dodge 2500 cummins ext cab longbed and need a solution for my gear.

It currently has a Hi-Boy Cap on it which I am selling as I already have a tent solution on my M101.

I was wondering if it is possible to raise and lower Thule Xsporter racks with a tent on it?

More so lower the back racks but leave the cab forward ones high for more aerodynamics and vice versa for the toys snowmobiles, bikes, etc...

Will weight be a problem to lower and raise the Thule racks? That I guess is my main concern.

Here's what I'm working with to give you guys an idea.

I have the Maggiolina Grand Tour XL I believe.

Aerodynamic Streamlining Template - Mozilla Firefox 1302014 12924 PM.jpgmaggiolina tent.JPGRoof Top tent.jpg

pray4surf

Explorer
I found that manually raising/lowering a mounted RTT was too much for this old man to do himself - Save for laying on my back in the bed of the truck and invert leg presses to raise. Even with the little lady helping, manually raising was cumbersome. Could you do something like Box Rocket did by adding a gas-charged strut to each corner?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23624-Box-Rocket-Homemade-trailer-build/page20

You might find my RTT rack build interesting - see link in signature

Lisponger

I totally understand the angles with the mounting. Indeed it wouldn't work and would 100% damage the tent.

Inverted Leg presses are what I've done to get the truck cap off the last few I've owned. Sketchy and stupid would be a few words to describe that task.

Gas strut option looks doable. My plan there would obviously keep it inboard of the truck bed.

Fab shop here we come!

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
The Thule Xsporter can be raised and lowered, but as noted, it is a weighty problem with a tent fitted to the bars, and you would NEVER want to tilt the tent when moving the vehicle.

What you CAN do for aerodynamics in your situation is the mount the tent with the front of the wedge pointing to the rear. The XL tents are 91" long, and you must allow room between the cab and the tent to swing open the latches on releasing them. So, with a full 8 foot bed (96") you should be able to lower the Thule Xsporter so the the rear of the tent (facing the front now) is at cab height and the tent level with the bed across the length of the tent bottom. This will give you the envelope that you are looking for.

Post a photo...

Mike S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven