Time for another flatty expedition build!

trek_diggity

Yeah there will be a bunch of sheet metal surgery involved, along with the body stretch I will be raising the front fenders and rear wheel wells. I found a decent CJ3B tub, does anyone know if the tubs (aside from the cowl and firewall) are similar enough to mix and match panels with the 2A and 3A? Seems like they are, to the naked eye.

trek_diggity

Yeah I bought that 3B and I've been cutting it all up. It's actually the body from the frame that I'm using. The guy who had it had made a rat rod (I hate that term) out of it, cut the load floor out of it to fit a Jaguar IRS setup, along with cutting the center of the front floors to clear the driveline. It sounds like a total mess, but the body is actually in pretty decent shape, aside from the typical rust from the tool box. I've got the load floor all patched back up and a new floor riser installed, I think I need to start mocking up my drivetrain, so tomorrow I'm going to pull the M38 in tomorrow to get the transfer case out. That'll be a good chunk of change for the conversion bellhousing and transmission-transfer case adapter. My motor mounts should be here on Wednesday. I'll have to get some pics of it up tomorrow if I think of it.

trek_diggity

little update... haven't found the time to upload all my photos until now...

I had quite the productive long change this week. after I got the rear floor/tub section squared away I decided to tackle the cowl sectioning... it turned out pretty well:

I found that these jeeps weren't made with the strictest quality control (i'm sure you all knew that by now)... the only thing I can't get to line up quite right is a 1" section at the very edge of the driver's side where it meets up with the fender line. it's only out about 1/4" or less, but it still bugs me. I haven't tacked anything up yet, because i'm still wrestling around with the idea of putting a 2a, 3a, or M38 dash in it... I really don't care for the single large gauge on the 3b dash (looks too AMC-ish), but I might just live with it.

then yesterday, I decided my hand at the teardown of the D18 case from the M38. we stripped out the ford V8 and pulled the transmission/transfer case, and put it up on the bench. WHAT AN EXERCISE IN FRUSTRATION. NOTHING came apart easily, and after watching several youtube videos on these cases, I got it apart. I had to use the press on a couple of pieces that weren't supposed to require pressing. of course, the thing is about 63 years old, so I suppose some of that is to be expected. funny thing was, I was seconds away from just coming inside for the nite, before I remembered that pill-shaped interlock on the shift rods, and the rest of it basically just fell apart. so that motivated me to put everything in the solvent tank and start washing everything up. i'm going to order the master rebuild kit from novak, along with the SM420 rebuild kit and conversion pieces. I just can't wait to tear that transmission apart, i'm sure it will be frustrating as well.

today I got my axles sort of hung in place after I cleaned up the garage. I can't wait to see what this looks like with some wheels and tires mocked up... if I could find something for the right price. I have my mind set on 35x12.50R15 BFG KO2s with some cool old looking wheels, like Ansen sprint wheels. i'd really like to find something that looked old WITH beadlocks.

I need to figure out what to do with this overdrive... it looks like it has the same PTO/overdrive kit that herm sells. I have no use for the PTO part, and just want the small aluminum cap that most of the ones I've seen have. and of course, the smaller shaft, too.

if I remember, tomorrow im' going to call novak and talk with them about my drivetrain bits and make sure their hydraulic clutch setup will work with my conversion bellhousing. can't wait to start mocking up the drivetrain.

I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I think I lucked out on one of these jeeps I bought. somebody already did a swinging pedal setup with power brakes at some point. hopefully i'll be able to use most of it. I guess the next thing i'm going to look out for are a LHD DJ steering column, steering gear from a later model CJ or FSJ, and the ever-elusive 8274 winch...

SheepnJeep

Hey there, just saw this thread and I have a couple of questions / comments.

I have been thinking about building a 'Modernized' flat fender for a few years now. I was thinking of building my own stretched frame. After all of the work you did to lengthen your frame, would you do it like that again or simply build one from scratch? I am also wondering about your axle choice. I think stock 2a/3a/3b axles are about 51 inches wide. Are you sticking to that or going slightly wider?

I think I'm going the direction of building a flatfender with about a 100 inch wheelbase and maybe building the body wider to keep wheels on wider axles inside the wheel wells like stock. I also think I'll build a fixed hard top and finish out the interior. Soft tops are alright, but for a daily driver it can get old. Just ideas at this point of course...

If you aren't in need of your PTO adapter for the overdrive maybe we could strike up a deal. Adding an overdrive to my willys is on the to-do list this summer but I already have a rear PTO winch in place. I'll need an adapter to keep everything working.

Can't wait to see your build finished!

-Jesse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy