Timing Belt Question -Help

While changing my timing belt yesterday the Passenger side cam spun on me. Both cams and crank had stayed a at least a tooth within TDC all day yesterday, I had the new belt and tensioner on and realized that I had forgot to install the new crank sensor. I removed the new belt and tensioner and while doing this the passenger side cam spun.

After some struggle I now have have both cams and the crank TDC.

Do I need to have any concerns?

As long as I have both cams and crank at TDC should I be good to go?

Thanks

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I don’t have any experience with Mitsubishi but,
Is it an interference fit engine? If it is and the timing is too far off you could bend valves.
Whenever I do a timing belt I turn the engine over by hand after to make sure the pistons aren’t hitting valves.
I’ve messed it up before, felt it lock up(turning the engine by hand) as pistons hit valve. I took the belt back off, figured it out, put belt back on and it was fine.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
It’s possible to have all alignment marks correct and still be timed wrong because the cam(s) spins half as fast as the crankshaft. The cam(s) spins once for every two times the crank spins.
So if you made a revolution with any one gear and put it back together with the timing mark lined up it would be wrong.
If the gear moved a little(say less than a revolution) and you turned it back I think it would be fine, but if you moved it forward(completing one revolution) to get the mark lined up the cam would be out of sync with the other shafts.

When I turned over the engine by hand would have I discovered an issue?

I have it all back together, can I start it?

Thanks

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
It looks like that is an interference fit engine and damage will occur if everything isn’t timed and in sync.
I think you would have noticed a valve hitting a piston after 4 revolutions of the crank.

PacS14

Adventurer
When I did my timing belt on my 99 Montero the FSM called for the manual rotation and they key was that eventually (after four full rotations I believe) all the marks align again if I remember correctly. Sounds like you should be fine, but if in doubt you can always turn it over a few more times if you want to be 100% sure nothing is binding.

PacS14

Adventurer
If you can download the fsm for your car and look it up. I'm almost certain that if you aligned all the marks and then put on the belt you should be fine, the only thing the fsm calls for a specific piston to be at TDC that would be the only thing you might have to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh