Tire carriers

Jwood

Observer
Hello all, I'm currently in the market for a good tire carrier for my TJ. I'm really considering the LOD Expedition but I can't really find many reviews on them. Does anyone have experience with LoD products? Or any other suggestions I should look at?

shogun

Adventurer
They seem to be lacking any details on the hinge. From the pics it looks like the old trailer axle trick. Many people have had them break, some people dont have a problem. Personally I would never buy any tire carrier with trailer axle hinge again. I personally know of six failures locally, including mine, which lasted the longest at 3 years.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I would consider weight also. If you are carrying a 33 spare or less, I don't think you need a spare tire carrier, unless you are doing other things with it. On my 2003 TJ I carried a 35 on the door no problem and my son has had a 33 on his for the last couple of years...

The Big Daddy Offroad tire carrier I have is so heavy I am considering getting rid of it....
John

Septu

Explorer
Hello all, I'm currently in the market for a good tire carrier for my TJ. I'm really considering the LOD Expedition but I can't really find many reviews on them. Does anyone have experience with LoD products? Or any other suggestions I should look at?

I'm running a slightly customized front mid width from them. They were amazing to work with, and their customer service was top notch. And I love the bumper. Have had it about 7 mths now, and still looks new. Well it would if I washed the mud and dirt off of it.

If I hadn't scored a good deal on my rear bumper, I would have ordered one of there's for the rear too.

Weeds

Adventurer
I like my Rockhard it has no problem carring fuel and whatever I hang on it. The hinge is strong and the latch does not rattle.

KellyM

Adventurer
I like my Rockhard it has no problem carring fuel and whatever I hang on it. The hinge is strong and the latch does not rattle.

Same here with my Jeeperman (very similar to Rockhard). 32" spare, two Jerry cans and a Rockhard Trail rack. I've had that set up for three years and everything works great with no rattles.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Same here with my Jeeperman (very similar to Rockhard). 32" spare, two Jerry cans and a Rockhard Trail rack. I've had that set up for three years and everything works great with no rattles.

X3 While I don't run one of their product I have 4 friends who have them on JKs & TJs... from several months to a decade...
They are modular so ax the $$ comes available you can add to the carrier...

Curt

BBailey

Explorer
I have the OR Fab Rotopax Tire Carrier on my JK. As noted, the install is a bit of a pain without the proper tools but its still easily done in most anyone's garage. Allows for carrying up to a 37" spare and 2 Rotopax 3 gal jugs.

Have a 37" MTR on a Pintler Beadlock on mine and its solid as a rock. Even pounding down washboard or whooped up dirt roads.

Very good looking, well made piece of equipment.

lysol

Explorer
Hanson Tire Carrier w/Cargo System

Anyone have experience with these? It appears to open with the door now. Their older model had a separate latch system. If you get the cargo system however, there is a second manual latch though that you depress, but then open the door with the door handle like normal. Seems nice, but I don't know much about their tire carrier hinge.

Here's a few pics I grabbed online:

107_4629.JPG

attachment.php

PJ2002-3.jpg

main.php

biere

Observer
Where does something like the gr8tops tj tailgate reinforcement come into play?

I bought a bumper with a tow rating because I wanted something made to tow and something that was assembled and tested for it. No tire carrier on the bumper.

The more I see racks on top of spare tires and fuel cans to the sides of spare tires the more I wonder about reinforcing the tailgate and building around that.

Anyway, figured I would see if this might work for the original poster or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach