Tire repair kits, should I carry one?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I totally forgot about the bead buster. That does make using the Hi-lift easier. But, you are correct, the hi-lift is a complete pain compared to the Tyrepliers.

There is a set of tyre pliers with us when we head out as group and I am glad they are there. But, I have practiced with a hi-lift for those times when it is not around.

Wow! know you know what your missing. Must make breaking the bead with the Hi-lift even more frustrating having used the Tyrepliers.

zjsheller

Observer
By all means. Cheap insurance for simple punctures...

Any commercially available kit will work. The more expensive kits contain better quality tools and a handy carrying pouch. At a minimum, you should have:

Pair of dykes/pliers to remove the offending item (if necessary)
Reamer / rat tail file to clean/clear out the puncture
Insertion tool to insert the plug
Rubber cement
Tire plugs
Dykes / razor blade to trim the plugs 'tails'

Length of time will vary on access to the puncture. With tire off the vehicle, a couple of minutes tops. On the vehicle, the fronts are easier to plug

Some kits may be complemented by tire patches that require dismounting of the tire from the rim so the patch can be applied on the inside.

Oh, and a way to reinflate the tire

As a guy who repairs tires for a living, you have all missed one important piece of equipment that helps insure a good plug seal. A lighter. The best way to ensure a good seal on a plug job is to light the ends on fire and melt them down to the tire. I've never seen one repaired in this fashion fail. Never. Add a lighter.

njtaco

Explorer
That's a new one to me, but it makes sense. We set patches on fire, why not plugs?

I can see this working particularly well if multiple plugs are used to repair a large hole, especially in the sidewall (I know, your not supposed to repair a sidewall...)

Thanks for the tip!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Lots of great ideas and thoughts in this thread. I don't have much more to add but this picture. I though this was a clever way to advertise a tire repair kit. Literally hundreds of plugs and it still holds air.

aussie4 127 (Medium).jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I think that when I add all of these new goodies to my total off-road gear I can start to justify a trailer! :victory:

michaelgroves

Explorer
While you can't go wrong carrying a kit, do you really need it all the time? I think it depends a lot on terrain and distance. Because I'll try tougher terrain in my Jeep it gets the kit all the time. A simple weekend trip to the Sierras in my truck and I figure the spare is adequate insurance. Add more miles and then things like that get thrown in.

You're right - it's not necessary for a short trip. But it's also not that heavy or bulky, so why not have it all the time?

One you get really practised at using the plugs, they are really quick to do. You can often have the hole completely and properly plugged before the tyre is flat! Certainly most often it will take less time to plug the tyre than to change the wheel, and it will probably be a cleaner job, too. (I'd rather plug a tyre on my way to work than change a wheel, providing re-inflation isn't a problem).

winkosmosis

Explorer
How about Fix-A-Flat, the stuff in the can? It makes a mess but it seems worthwhile because it's easy, quick, and doesn't require any expertise. You can worry about the mess later

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Looks like the valve stem puller got covered. The unit in those pictures is what I was thinking of. What I have right now is a cable device that I think is made by Camel though I could not find it on their page. Looks like a short section of Speedometer cable with a crossbar swaged onto one end and a thimble that screws onto the stem on the other end. Operated the same as the pictured tool, but lacks any of that tool's leverage.

I carry the basic plug stuff in the side pouch of my little MV-50 air compressors. Both 4wd's have their own such kit, and they just stay in the trucks.

My bead breaker looks like below. I've posted it before, but it is a rather simple fabrication job. This one uses a Snap-On 24" long breaker bar for the lever. The one that I built for MISF uses his Hi-Lift handle for the lever. Small part that doesn't weigh much, so it is easy to pack. I still need to modify the chain to have a LC/Mini lug nut (& matching bolt) on the end opposite of the VW lug bolt (w/ nut). I like that I do not need to remove the wheel & tire from the vehicle to break the bead. In fact it is preferable to not remove it.

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Jim

We carry the Tyrepliers, irons and repair kits because they are simply the best on the market. Unfortunately the wholesale to retail mark up is very low and there just isn't enough to go around. Even as a package deal it doesn't make sense.

I understand. For me it is something like $325 + 8+% tax + shipping, close to $400 for two tire irons, a bead breaker and the ultimate puncture kit.

emmodg

Adventurer
I'd stay away from fix-a flat stuff.

Yes, carry a plug kit. Learn how to use a HiLift to break the bead - it's easy and safe and works. (Why carry more stuff than you need?)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper

Yes, carry a plug kit. Learn how to use a HiLift to break the bead - it's easy and safe and works. (Why carry more stuff than you need?)
I quit carrying a Hi-Lift in my 4wd some years ago after carrying it for many years. It got used once, and was extremely far from optimal for the job. Just isn't the best option for where I go and what I do. A small floor jack on a skid does a far better job.
Jack.jpg

I never would have put a HL in the buggy as it is way too heavy for it. The Baja will have a 70's era GM bumper jack. Same job, 1/4 of the weight. We'll see how much it gets used. It may also get spot for the floor jack.

So lacking that option, I built a bead breaker that doesn't require me to remove the wheel & tire from the vehicle.

bmonday

Adventurer

If you don't have an air source, you will need the fix-a-flat to re-inflate the tire after you repair it. If you have a ready source of air (I carry a PowerTank offroad, but not always during daily driving), then you are right, best to skip the fix-a-flat.

BMonday

bmonday

Adventurer
I quit carrying a Hi-Lift in my 4wd some years ago after carrying it for many years. It got used once, and was extremely far from optimal for the job. Just isn't the best option for where I go and what I do. A small floor jack on a skid does a far better job.
Jack.jpg

I never would have put a HL in the buggy as it is way too heavy for it. The Baja will have a 70's era GM bumper jack. Same job, 1/4 of the weight. We'll see how much it gets used. It may also get spot for the floor jack.

So lacking that option, I built a bead breaker that doesn't require me to remove the wheel & tire from the vehicle.

A jack like that doesn't even touch my Jeep's axles at full extension, not to mention lifting it high enough to get the tire off the ground, and I only have 33" tires. That's why I carry a Hi-Lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater