Tire repair kits, should I carry one?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I found I can break the bead on my Fuso rims pretty easily with a couple of cheap Harbor Freight tire irons. The compound bends on one end worked perfectly.

luk4mud

Explorer
Good thread. I carry a good quality ARB kit, got it an an off road expo for like $20, replace the plugs every year or so. Valve stem tool is on the end of one of my caps. Tire irons can be had at HF for like $6 each, not sexy, not the best quality, but they work.

I also carry a cheap rachet strap- comes in handy when you break a bead. Wrap the strap, rachet, pull the stem, hit the tire with some co2 and it pops back on. Rachet strap has a zillion other repair uses.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Good thread. I carry a good quality ARB kit, got it an an off road expo for like $20, replace the plugs every year or so. Valve stem tool is on the end of one of my caps. Tire irons can be had at HF for like $6 each, not sexy, not the best quality, but they work.

I also carry a cheap rachet strap- comes in handy when you break a bead. Wrap the strap, rachet, pull the stem, hit the tire with some co2 and it pops back on. Rachet strap has a zillion other repair uses.

I think you may have a valve cap with a slotted extension on it for tightening or removing the valve core. A 4 way valve tool has internal and external thread cleaners, two arms, as well as the ability to remove or tighten the valve core.

Be very very careful with the ratchet strap. If you have used it to compress the tire, and then inflate the tire until it seats on the bead, the ratchet strap can come apart and cause serious damage.

In the last repair clinic I gave one of the participants talked about this very thing happening and causing serious head injuries to the person repairing the tire.

My recommendation would be not to use the ratchet strap as the first method used to get the tire up against the bead. If you look at the videos at http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tireclinic.html you'll see there are some easier techniques to use initially.

If you do use a ratchet strap be very careful. Use it only until the tire starts to hold air, remove the ratchet strap, and then inflate the tire until it seats on the bead.

If you keep the ratchet strap in place until the tire seats on the bead you risk catastrophic injury.

emmodg

Adventurer
Again, you don't need to build anything to break a bead. Learn how to use a HiLift. It jacks, spreads,clamps, winches, and breaks beads(easily). Learn how to use one safely and you have one of the most effective tools in your arsenal. I've used them in sand, mud, rock, and on ice. (We also instruct students to use them on this various terrain) Buy a 60" HiLift and you're done!

PS - This, I thought, was an "expedition" board. If you do not have some ability to get air - compressor or tank - and instead rely on fix-a flat you're doing yourself a dis-service.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Jim

I usually do them at events like Overland Trophy or Overland Expo, but there's no reason we couldn't arrange something for Southern Cal.

It's something that could be done at our shop, we'd just have to coordinate me being there and enough people signing up.

luk4mud

Explorer
I think you may have a valve cap with a slotted extension on it for tightening or removing the valve core. A 4 way valve tool has internal and external thread cleaners, two arms, as well as the ability to remove or tighten the valve core.

Be very very careful with the ratchet strap. If you have used it to compress the tire, and then inflate the tire until it seats on the bead, the ratchet strap can come apart and cause serious damage.

In the last repair clinic I gave one of the participants talked about this very thing happening and causing serious head injuries to the person repairing the tire.

My recommendation would be not to use the ratchet strap as the first method used to get the tire up against the bead. If you look at the videos at http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tireclinic.html you'll see there are some easier techniques to use initially.

If you do use a ratchet strap be very careful. Use it only until the tire starts to hold air, remove the ratchet strap, and then inflate the tire until it seats on the bead.

If you keep the ratchet strap in place until the tire seats on the bead you risk catastrophic injury.

Good insights, always willing to learn. I do pull the ratchet strap after the tire starts to hold air. It has always worked well, is a simple and cheap method. I'll have to watch your videos for other ideas.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Jim

I usually do them at events like Overland Trophy or Overland Expo, but there's no reason we couldn't arrange something for Southern Cal.

It's something that could be done at our shop, we'd just have to coordinate me being there and enough people signing up.

Thank you Sir!

Maybe we can have a Meet & Greet and a Garage Sale to go with it.... :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues