Tire Size Question for an 04 DII on stock 18in alloys

Wideheavyload

Hello everyone!

My 04 DII has been in need of a suspension replacement for quite some time, so this week I ordered an OME Medium Duty kit, which will apparently garner me an additional 2-3 inches of lift.

At the same time, my tires need to be replaced. I currently have the 18 inch alloy stock rims. I am not interested in switching to the 16 inch rims at this time, so I understand that limits my tire selection a bit, but I'd like some advice on which size/brand to go with. I intend to do very light off roading, mostly fire road type stuff.

I've done my research, and unfortunately most folks appear to have the 16 inch wheels, so I thought I'd ask the forum.

I'm considering 275/65/18 BFG ATs. Any reason NOT to go with these tires?

Thanks in advance!

Howski

You'll likely get closer to 2" out of that lift. It really all depends on how much your factory springs are sagging. You may get some occasional rubbing in that size but it shouldn't be too bad and only when you're really crossed up. I'm not a fan of the BFG A/T, I'd consider looking at the GY Duratrac instead. I believe they'd better suited for the sticky clay while still providing good road manners and low noise.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
You'll likely get closer to 2" out of that lift. It really all depends on how much your factory springs are sagging. You may get some occasional rubbing in that size but it shouldn't be too bad and only when you're really crossed up. I'm not a fan of the BFG A/T, I'd consider looking at the GY Duratrac instead. I believe they'd better suited for the sticky clay while still providing good road manners and low noise.

Same here. Why aren't you switching to 16s? Cost prohibitive? Appearance?

16s give you much more options as far as width and brands.

Howski

Same here. Why aren't you switching to 16s? Cost prohibitive? Appearance?

16s give you much more options as far as width and brands.

I had both 16" and 18" wheels on my D2 and think the OP should be fine with the 18" wheels if he's just planning on fire roads and lighter action. The 16" wheels/tires were a big improvement in the rocks where the sidewall could flex and grab more but the 18" wheels were fine in mild terrain.

Wideheavyload

Good stuff!

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I fully intend to avoid rocks for the time being. I don't have any armor other than the factory stuff, so I have no business in the danger zone. I plan to mostly do light camping and mountain biking, and will be primarily getting too and from the trails.

So the 275/65/18 is an ok size? My current suspension is REALLY sagging. I'm at 120k miles and should have replaced it 40k ago. So 3 inches wouldn't surprise me, although you are probably right. 2 or less from factory, which is great. I'm not trying to skyjack, just want a better ride.

I've not seen any recommendations for the GY Duratrac. Mostly either the BFG ATs or Nitto Terra Grapplers. I'm open to whatever works though.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I really like the tread pattern on the GY DT's, and have driven them on a 2012 LR Defender with joy. I didn't venture offroad enough to give an accurate recommendation, but I have no doubt they could hold their own. I do not like Nittos at all, and I was given a set of Terra graplers because the previous owner hated them so much.

As for the 16" suggestion, I only mention it because you can likely find a set of used 16"s and buy tires for a similar price than the 18" tires. Then you have two sets of wheels just in case.

Cheers!

Howski

I've not seen any recommendations for the GY Duratrac. Mostly either the BFG ATs or Nitto Terra Grapplers. I'm open to whatever works though.

I think the more open tread pattern of the DuraTracs will really help here in the southeast. Even on mild trails you'll encounter some of that extrememly sticky red clay so the more you can keep out of your tread, the more traction you'll have.

And yes, 275/65/18 should be fine. If you look on some of the more Rover specific sites or even do a search on here you should be able to find some more detailed information on this tire size. FWIW I ran 275/70/18's on my D2 with a 2" RTE lift, which generally rides about .5" -.75" higher than the OME lift, with little rubbing. I failed to mention earlier you may have to do some very minor trimming if you plan to retain your factory front bumper, a small portion of the lower black plastic portion of the front valance, just to avoid some rubbing. It's so minor it won't even be noticable so I wouldn't let that deter you.

Before you buy have a look at the Trxus MT. I've been running these on two separate trucks for about 4 years now. On my F250 I put about 40,000mi on them and they still had about 1/4in of tread. On my Discovery I've got about 15,000mi and they are wearing much better than on the F250. I've found they are great on ice and snow, good in mud and sand, and decent on rocks. To be better on rocks they'd have to be bias ply but then you give you up a lot on the road. They aren't loud like the TSL's but still look aggressive. I've never ran into anyone who had too much traction on fire roads, and should you get in a bind you most likely wont be able to blame the tires. JMHO I know a lot of people who like the AT's I'm just not one of them.

troy

Adventurer
FWIW - I have the OME mediums and BFG AT 265/65/18s. I got them used with a couple thousand miles. I don't rub at all, but I have an ARB bumper on the front. For some reason the 275/65s are cheaper, must be more common. I'd say go for it.

You will notice a firmer ride with the spring and tire swap. Mine came with OMEs and stock tires. Going up to the load range E tire was noticeable. Not too rough, but not as cushy as before.

Wideheavyload

I did pull the trigger on the 275/65/18 size BFG ATs. With the OME Mediums and those tires I am hoping for a firmer ride. I have the factory suspension and tires now, and at 120k miles, the suspension is like driving a shopping cart on springs. Not fun.

The work is getting done on Monday, tires on Tuesday. I'll report back and let the thread know how well it rides. Thanks again for all the feedback! This forum rocks.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Just an aside as I am a day late- avoid P rated tires for anything beyond highway. And another option that I run on my LR3 is 265/70-18 for little taller thinner tire, which also yields a touch better fuel economy...

Wideheavyload

Thanks guys. The Disco is in the shop getting the OME lift installed now. Tires immediately after. I'm pretty excited to drive it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven