Tired of Old Junk but no Interest in Newer 4x4s

Ozark_Prowler

Have you driven the new Tacoma? We have a 2021 Tacoma Manual extended cab. It's fantastic for what it is. Crazy mindless reliable for the first year. Toyota pays all maintenance for 2yrs. We bought it new for $35k (dealers will negotiate manuals on their lot - be willing to travel). It could sell for $45k around here used.

I've owned a 1998 Tacoma and 2013 Tacoma. And a handful of 4runners.

There's no reason to knock the 3.5L motor. It's worlds better than the FJ80 engine. We average 21-22mpg. It gets 21mpg consistently driving to town (climbing 1,500ft in elevation) and general around town driving. We added the URD short shifter and accumulator delete. Fun to drive. Plenty zippy. You won't find a better manual vehicle. And it's the last of the kind. Go buy a new one before they are gone. Manual sales are incredibly low. It makes sense why manufacturers are dropping them.

I agree. Old vehicles are a hassle to own. Unless you completely rebuild them or find a "rare" preserved and maintained rig $$$. Go for a new rig... it might fit your desire more than you think.
Yea I’d be open to a newer manual Tacoma but it’s not really in my budget right now.

beef tits

New trucks, old trucks… they all break off roading.

I have owned just about every Toyota platform and wouldn’t trade my GX470 for anything. Good size. Quiet. V8 torque. Triple locked. Still gets 16-17 MPG.

ThundahBeagle

I'm tired of dealing with all the headaches associated with older 4x4 trucks like my current 1997 Land Cruiser and my old 1998 Tacoma. for some reason it seems like these older trucks are just endless moneypits and always cost an arm and a leg to fix. I like Tacomas, but the frames are junk and they all have shot suspensions and need a ton of work since nobody bothers to maintain them.

Meanwhile, modern 4x4s are junk IMO, or at east just not fun. The new Tacoma literally has a Camry drivetrain, and the new Bronco is all bark and no bite with its pathetic front end. Newer Jeeps just don't interest me, in fact any four wheel drive without a proper manual transfer case lever doesn't do it for me.

After owning arguably the ultimate 4x4 truck ever brought to the US in the 80 series Land Cruiser, it might be the end of the road. The repairs are just adding up too quick and it feels like it's time to cut my losses. Running trails is fun and all, but I hardly get to enjoy the LC anyway and it just doesn't seem worth all the heartache.

Anybody else in a similar boat? I'm about ready to give up and get another Subaru, at least then I can have another manual gearbox.

Big fan of the manual 4x4 lever like on GMT400 trucks but they are gone.

Manual gearbox Subaru? Maybe on 2 models only now. Otherwise get a 10 year old one.

ThundahBeagle

A new vehicle is an $84K vehicle. A perfect old truck might cost the same amount and be as reliable as anything brand new but it might still cost $84K. Either one needs maintenance. Old is not really any more expensive or less reliable than new.

I have 2 TJRs. The '05 with 400K kms is now parked and I drive an '06 with 110K kms. The new one cost $12K....... so $1K a year to keep it mechanically perfect is a buy and I don't have any of the silly nanny things like Braking Differential traction Control or Tire Pressure Monitors. TJs are just old trucks with a clutch, shifter levers, wind down windows and solid axles..... perfect. I'll never buy anything newer.

If you are thinking about spending $84K on a new vehicle you will hate..... why not spend that on an old vehicle you will love.

Or

Lots of choices between $12K and $84K.

84 grand? Sure, for a brand new, fully optioned GMC Sierra k2500 Denali or Chevy K2500 High Country maybe. A new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is in the 50's to 60. I dont know where that extra 24k comes from

EDIT: just priced out a brand new GMC Sierra K2500 HD Denali Crew Cab Long Bed -the most expensive platform - with every expensive option and reached $86,400.00 USD. How many people here are buying one of those?

Priced out new GMC Canyon AT4 with a mixed bag of options for between $43k and $48k and wasn't being shy with either. Could have gotten one for in the $30's. I do know these dont fit the OP's bill, but just talking typical new price here.

C'mon, man. If someone asks for advice and you want to throw numbers around, throw around real ones.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Have you driven the new Tacoma? We have a 2021 Tacoma Manual extended cab. It's fantastic for what it is. Crazy mindless reliable for the first year. Toyota pays all maintenance for 2yrs. We bought it new for $35k (dealers will negotiate manuals on their lot - be willing to travel). It could sell for $45k around here used.

There's no reason to knock the 3.5L motor. It's worlds better than the FJ80 engine. We average 21-22mpg. It gets 21mpg consistently driving to town (climbing 1,500ft in elevation) and general around town driving. We added the URD short shifter and accumulator delete. Fun to drive. Plenty zippy. You won't find a better manual vehicle. And it's the last of the kind. Go buy a new one before they are gone. Manual sales are incredibly low. It makes sense why manufacturers are dropping them.

I agree. Old vehicles are a hassle to own. Unless you completely rebuild them or find a "rare" preserved and maintained rig $$$. Go for a new rig... it might fit your desire more than you think.

I'm not trying to be snarky but any and all one-year -old vehicles had better be crazy mindless reliable or I'd trade it in.

Ozark_Prowler

84 grand? Sure, for a brand new, fully optioned GMC Sierra k2500 Denali or Chevy K2500 High Country maybe. A new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is in the 50's to 60. I dont know where that extra 24k comes from

EDIT: just priced out a brand new GMC Sierra K2600 HD Denali Crew Cab Long Bed -the most expensive platform - with every expensive option and reached $86,400.00 USD. How many people here are buying one of those?

Priced out new GMC Canyon AT4 with a mixed bag of options for between $43k and $48k and wasn't being shy with either. Could have gotten one for in the $30's. I do know these dont fit the OP's bill, but just talking typical new price here.

C'mon, man. If someone asks for advice and you want to throw numbers around, throw around real ones.
To be fair my 1997 Land Cruiser probably sold for about 70-80k new when adjusted for inflation.

ThundahBeagle

To be fair my 1997 Land Cruiser probably sold for about 70-80k new when adjusted for inflation.

Maybe. We should calculate that out if you are trying to make a financial decision. Either way, the Land Cruiser has never been a typical-tier vehicle, much like the 2500HD Denali. Sure lots of people own either, but nowhere near as many as who own a 4runner or k1500 SLE instead.

86scotty

Cynic
They don't make em like they used to, and thank goodness they dont. An old truck is fun for when you want to drive the old truck.

Let's not pass up this subtle nugget of absolute truth. It kind of sums up the problem and the solution. I love it.

Ozark, as an owner of a new Jeep JLU (and I've had lots of older ones) I know why you probably aren't excited about new Jeeps. They are beyond ubiquitous and boring but last I checked they had a manual transfer case, and they are probably one of the easiest off-roaders to find with a manual tranny if you want that too. I used to be a hard liner with this, not any more. The 8 speed automatic is amazing, just like a manual transfer case is.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The quote was ground up restomod. Not baselining.
Exactly. Beat me too it. Huge difference there. And yes, I agree probably $150,000 for a ground up restomod. Lots on BaT for big money.

EDIT: just priced out a brand new GMC Sierra K2500 HD Denali Crew Cab Long Bed -the most expensive platform - with every expensive option and reached $86,400.00 USD. How many people here are buying one of those?

I don't think that's unreasonable. Bear in mind he and I are in Canada. A mid level half ton 4x4 is 70K here.....
Screenshot 2022-04-25 085249.png
Screenshot 2022-04-25 085602.png
Screenshot 2022-04-25 085751.png
Screenshot 2022-04-25 090026.png

If you want a Lariat, Laramie or SLT half ton 84K is def in the ballpark. And that's if you keep it stock.... Nevermind any accessories... So a new Rubicon or half ton could easily be 84K here.

If talking strictly about Toyotas, Land Cruisers / LX570's 84K USD are def in the ballpark of 84K for a low mileage 1/2 year old model.

Or an Overland Farckled up Tacoma / Tundra.....

Last edited:

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city

Although you say it's out of your price range, I think that encompasses part of the issue. No that is not a personal hit as it applies to most of us. Old vehicles are fun when they work. New vehicles are fun because they DO work, almost all the time.
It sounds like you're just burnt out. Continuous maintenance is draining for some, especially me. No one wants to replace a water-pump with another. Now upgrading tires, suspension, brakes? Fun.
If everyone out there still drove an 80 series LC, you probably wouldn't like them either.
I'd guess your best options are:
1) Switch interests/hobbies to get some distance between you and this culture. Maybe distance will make the heart grow fonder?
2) Buy new-ish. A Tacoma, 4Runner, Jeep, Frontier, ZR2, etc. can be nice with a warranty, unique packages, or modifications.
3) Buy a boring DD and make tinkering with the LC the fun night/weekend thing to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333