Tires: Wide or Narrow?

Hawk Thor

Do you guys run tire chains over there?Just curious.

No we don´t use them on our 4x4s. We use chains on heavy equipment and commercial trucks.

Many use studded tires, mine are only siped. Chains would cause you to dig down too easily and they´re not that great at speed.

ben2go

Adventurer
riiiiight

I did take the go arounds is some of the harder sections.Sorry,my comment was misleading and incomplete.

No we don´t use them on our 4x4s. We use chains on heavy equipment and commercial trucks.

Many use studded tires, mine are only siped. Chains would cause you to dig down too easily and they´re not that great at speed.

Thanks.That makes sense.I run chains here in the winter.We get mostly ice storms.When we do get snow,it becomes ice on the roads.Chains or studded tires are the only way to get around sometimes.

Scott Brady

Founder
Ah, one of my favorite subjects. . .
wrc-2006-swe-xp-0033.jpg

Running a 75-85% aspect ratio tire is the best choice for overland travel. Adjust the tread design for the conditions, the height based on clearance requirements and air down accordingly.

Technical terrain (i.e. not roads) requires a highly specialized tire, sometimes making a wider tire a better choice. The more specialized the terrain, the more a single attribute of tire construction becomes important. There are many attributes and as a result, many compromises and specializations.

1. Deformation
2. Mechanical Keying
3. Adhesion
4. Deflection
5. Carcass construction
6. Load rating
7. Rubber composition
8. Etc.

You must pick from these attributes and consider fitment, rotating and reciprocating mass, ease of availability, NVH, tread design, ease of balance, radial vs. bias ply construction, frontal resistance, etc. In the end, overland travel will result in a compromise towards a smaller, lighter, narrower and more easily sourced solution.

And just wider is not the solution for anything. There are environments where flotation is required and that comes from surface area (PSI). Is a 31x12.5 better than a 35x10.5 for flotation just because it is wider? Of course not.

In the end, an argument FOR big/wide tires in 99% of overland conditions cannot hold weight. The argument FOR big/wide tires requires emphasizing highly specialized conditions. If your goal is to only explore Iceland, then of course your tires will be highly specialized. For everything else and everyone else, stick with the 75-85% aspect ratio choices. . .

chasespeed

Explorer
You know, part of this whole discussion, should be...

What you consider overland

What vehicle you use

The weight of said vehicle and gear

My case, I have a heavy rig..... I have 315/75-16s. They arent 9 or 10 inches wide, but, they certainly arent 15....

I wouldnt run a narrower tire this size(35"), under a truck this heavy... But, that is me. On my lighter stuff, I ran 33x105s, and found that to be a great blend of capabilities.....

There is no RIGHT tire, but, I can say, there sure is a WRONG tire for any occasion....

If you want hardcore.... go on over to Pirate, and be sure to tell them what is what.... This isnt a hardcore forum, and most of these rigs couldnt handle anything "hardcore" To me, hardcore is climbing waterfalls, and ledges.... so... no offense to anyone... but.....

Chase

ben2go

Adventurer
You know, part of this whole discussion, should be...

What you consider overland

What vehicle you use

The weight of said vehicle and gear

My case, I have a heavy rig..... I have 315/75-16s. They arent 9 or 10 inches wide, but, they certainly arent 15....

I wouldnt run a narrower tire this size(35"), under a truck this heavy... But, that is me. On my lighter stuff, I ran 33x105s, and found that to be a great blend of capabilities.....

There is no RIGHT tire, but, I can say, there sure is a WRONG tire for any occasion....

If you want hardcore.... go on over to Pirate, and be sure to tell them what is what.... This isnt a hardcore forum, and most of these rigs couldnt handle anything "hardcore" To me, hardcore is climbing waterfalls, and ledges.... so... no offense to anyone... but.....

Chase

I consider overlanding traveling to far out places that involves traveling backwoods and unimproved roads.Washed out dirt roads are part of life around my area.I drive a 2001 Ford Ranger standard cab stepside bed.My whole rig loaded with two people weighs just under 4000lbs.My truck cane with 235-70-15 tires,roughly 28 inch diameter tire.I'm told I can go up to 31x10.50-15 without rubbing.I'm not sure I want to add that much circumfrence or wieght.My happy medium is a 235-75-15(29in.) or 30x9.50-15(29.5).I rarely have to deal with deep snow or mud.We usually have less than 6 inches of snow on our roads in winter.We do have a lot of ice in winter.So I am looking into these. http://tirechain.com/car_chaininstallationinstruction.htm

craig333

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty much with the majority. Narrow for most uses. Wide for deep snow, mud and sand. Since 95% of my driving isn't on those I run 33-10/50s on my Jeep. Everything is a compromise. Few of us can afford to mount up different tires for different conditions.

I used to do the Rubicon, Dusy, Fordcye etc, and still only had to break out the winch once.

Truck runs a narrow tire because at 8k lbs I can't imagine trying to get it to float on anything and its not going to fun getting that out buried up to the frame rails.

im gonna beat a dead horse and give my explanation.

Skinnies are superior until you get stuck.

With light mud with a hard bottom you will have better traction and control. Bigger tires will be slipping and sliding with little controll.

same thing goes with lighter snow and harder sand.

You will get better gas mileage and have less wear on our vehicle.

But when the snow sand or mud becomes soft and deep, you will be burried up to your frame while others are on top of it.

That said i like skinnies.

One advantage to wider tires is you dont HAVE to air down as often.
One example on a beach near my house i often visit theres a soft spongy part. if you cross that section with skinnies you get stuck. if you air down your fine. Its only a 20 foot soft section, this is just a quick joyride and your 2 miles from home, it was unexpected and now your stuck. If you had wider tires you couldnt have crossed it, with skinnies you need to air down and back up just for a LITTLE joy ride

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal