Titans?

fowldarr

Explorer
I asked this in Fireside Chat as well, but why so few Titans? I know they are a little big for most people's expedition style vehicles, but I have a family, and a dog...

exploreFL

Observer
I say go for it! I don't personally have one, I opted for the 06 Tundra crew cab. I hear they are pretty reliable and they have plenty of room for a family.... and dog!

hovenator

Explorer
I have one as well. They are great trucks and the aftermarket is finally on board with upgraded parts for the Titan/Armada platform.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Just my personal taste, but I find them to be odd looking to just flat out Butt-Ugly.

That said, they're good trucks and while they're big for most trail use they're certainly great for camping and hauling Family around in and not any bigger tehn the Tundra wich get's alot more spotlight (although the Tundra is quite a-bit beefier in some respects, the Titan is certainly not UNDER-built in any way). I've never really heard anything bad about the V8 in them either, I know I sure like the SOUND of the ones I've seen. I'd say if you like the Truck then don't let the lack of seeing many here on Expo stop you. There are a few and the Portal could certainly use more different rigs eh. That and as said above, the After Market is finaly catching up (snd it's definatly better then the AM for the First Gen Tundra too). SO, like I said if ya like them go for it. They're good trucks from everything I've read.

One other question on the subject of the Titan: Weren't they supposed to do a major overhaul and re-design like last year or the year beofre (I also thought that there was something to do with Dodge Trucks being part of it too :confused: )??? And if so does anyone know if Nissan just put it on hold cause of the down-turn in sales of big trucks at the time???

Cheers

DAve

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Titan trip: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46586

I maintain my dads 2005 Titan for him and drive it quite a bit. It's a great truck with a ton of room. His has over 100k miles with no problems to speak of. The Tundra is something else to consider. Honestly neither truck is pretty. The Titan has a strange moon rover look and the Tundra looks like a marshmellow haha. The fully boxed frame of the Titan is a big plus in my book opposed to a c frame. And that V8 is fantastic:)

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
One other question on the subject of the Titan: Weren't they supposed to do a major overhaul and re-design like last year or the year beofre (I also thought that there was something to do with Dodge Trucks being part of it too :confused: )??? And if so does anyone know if Nissan just put it on hold cause of the down-turn in sales of big trucks at the time???

Cheers

DAve

I believe the major re-design will be for 2012 with a possible HD version (hopefully), nothing was ever really put on hold. They called the deal off with Chrysler to make a re-badged Ram the new Titan (thankfully).

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I believe the major re-design will be for 2012 with a possible HD version (hopefully), nothing was ever really put on hold. They called the deal off with Chrysler to make a re-badged Ram the new Titan (thankfully).
Ok that's what I'm remebering now too. That said I don't think that having a RAM as a basis for your big HD truck would be a bad thing. AS far as I'm concerned the Ram's by FAR the best Diesel HD PU out there. you could Do ALOT worse then a 6.7L Cummins if you really wanted to step up to a comercial grade truck. Although I wouldn't want to see it REPLACE the tritan, but maybe stand in addition like the F150 and the Super-Duty trucks are. We need more quality SMALL trucks then big monsters nowdays. IMO the "Pathfinder" Armada was a dumb move... just call it the Armada and move on with a new line. To me it just confuses things and I completely forgot for awhile that they still made the Pathy cause all the soccer mom's were rushing to get into their new giant Armadas for more little timmy safety or lack there of in their hands :rolleyes:

I agree, neither of the "Big" Japanese trucks are really lookers. The Titan's "Big Head" bubble cab I'm sure makes it nice and airy inside, but it looks so out of proportion to me. I also seem to see them ALL with really littel beds and quad cabs so maybe that's part of it.

I LOVE the wail the V8's make though. There was a really cool Semi-Score/chase truck out at the dunes this summer and the thing made the hair on my arms stand up when the guy got on it. plus it was just flat out FLYING around and the fols inside were all comfy and happy in their AC and stereo setting... Looked SO cool. I tried to catch up to him to ask him about the truck... Funny, my 22RE JUST couldn't seem to catch him once he decided to use the V8 power he had... Strange HAHAHAHAHA

One thing I'm also kind of curious about with the Titan is how many of them get crashed that often to supply the Fontier and Xterra Guy's and Gals with the front diffs. Sure seems like ALOT of Nissan folks go that route. Are they getting uninstalled OEM diffs or are they wreckers cause it's too new a truck still to have THAT many to part out eh.

to the OP: Get a titan and make it sure we then give us all LOTS of pictures to drool over. i can imagine it looking alot better with a bed-rack and alot of Expo-kit on it, I've just not seen any built that way. Like I'm saying, they're good trucks for sure so I don't think you can go wrong unless the physical size is a problem for your trails. That said if this is the case a new Tundra isn't going to cut it either so... Get the Titan.

Cheers

Dave

fowldarr

Explorer
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input, I haven't ruled them out yet. Still getting a feel for all my options. Stay tuned, hopefully getting something in the next few months.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Has anyone used a Bully Dog Gas Tuner on a 5.6L Tundra/Armada? If so, what kind of real world results are you getting?

http://www.bullydog.com/search_vehi...year=2008&engine=59&vehicle.x=31&vehicle.y=13

I haven't heard much about anybody using the bully dog tuners on the Titan or Armada. A company called Uprev is really popular among us Nissan drivers. They offer their osiris engine management that's basically a full custom tune. They have different programmable tunes (track/highway/economy/etc.) that you can switch between with your cruise control buttons.

http://www.uprev.com/index.php

I've been to their office/dyno a few times and watched Frontier/350z/370z/Titan get tuned and even had a timing advance done on my Frontier. All the results I've seen have been very good.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I usualy tend ot think of Bully Dog as a Domestic Diesel tuner, but if Fishy's above co. can do it you may want to go with filks that are used to playing with Nissan's motor's.

SOOOO are we gonna see a new Titan around here now?!?!?!?!?!?! THat will be cool.

Funny thing, this thread came up and now I've been seeing Titan's EVERYWHERE. Sadly they're all Bling-d out and none of them appear to have been taken off-road at all. Poor 4wd's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3