To lift or not to lift...

Sherman134

Observer
I own a 1995 cherokee with the factory upcountry package. This suspendion upgrade allowed me to install a set of 31 inch bfg all terains. However, I know the rear springs sag when fully loaded. This made me nervous about taking the jeep offroad while loaded. The obvious remedy would be a lift kit, but I know the low cog mentality is becoming popular.Therefore I was wondering if anyone with experience in the field could help me in making this decision. I am looking at purchasing a 3 inch rough country lift kit and the adjustable trac bar to match

Whiskeymike

I own a 1995 cherokee with the factory upcountry package. This suspendion upgrade allowed me to install a set of 31 inch bfg all terains. However, I know the rear springs sag when fully loaded. This made me nervous about taking the jeep offroad while loaded. The obvious remedy would be a lift kit, but I know the low cog mentality is becoming popular.Therefore I was wondering if anyone with experience in the field could help me in making this decision. I am looking at purchasing a 3 inch rough country lift kit and the adjustable trac bar to match

I have two Wranglers, both lifted and I wouldn't hesitate to lift others in the future. My experience may not translate to a Cherokee, so I'd seek folks that have done it on your platform. COG is important and may be a reason you want to limit the size of the lift. Again, may not apply to a 95 Cherokee, but 3 inches on a JK Wrangler is a big lift. Mine are lifted 2.5, and you probably have options to use take of springs or harder springs to combat sag, but not necessarily significantly higher. When I compare my JK /w 2.5 to others with a 4" lift, it affects the balance significantly more on theirs. I feel much more stable in mine than theirs in off camber situations.

But the question is what is that breaking point on a 95 Cherokee? Don't know.

I recommend you go with a high quality lift. There are different brands that specialize in different years/models. My Teraflex coils drive significantly better than stock springs as a daily driver/weekend warrior regardless of the height advantage.

Good luck

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I would also look at the ARB OME Heavy Duty packages as well....you will be carrying weight...camping gear, dog, passengers etc. I have this lift on my WK and it has been great.

greggNJ

Observer
I had my 2000 Cherokee for 12 years and It sagged when loaded as well. I was running 30" BFG's and I decided to install an Air Lift System. It worked well for me. I ran it at 15-20 psi when unloaded and added air as needed when carrying a load or towing.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I suppose it really depends on your intentions and what you like to do with it. For a lot of what I do a lift really is not needed. I just put Rubicon factory 32s on my JK and that gives me more than enough height to get over anything I may need to.

If you are just worried about the sag get have someone bend you a new lift spring or add manually inflatable air bags to the back if you are worried about ride comfort.

Sherman134

Observer
I had my 2000 Cherokee for 12 years and It sagged when loaded as well. I was running 30" BFG's and I decided to install an Air Lift System. It worked well for me. I ran it at 15-20 psi when unloaded and added air as needed when carrying a load or towing.

By air lift do you mean air shocks? A couple of the lift kits I had seen required you to purchase shocks seperately. So they may be an option. However, at seventeen my budget is pretty tight, the rough country lifts were cheap and included shocks. I chose 3 inches as it was the smallest lift offered. As a point of reference, my budget is about $400-450.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
There's not enough info provided for me or anyone else to make a very good judgement call on this. If you are after a taller tire size or that lifted look, then by all means, get a lift. If you have heavy bumpers and a winch, rack, etc. a spring lift will be fine, but if you don't I would advise against it unless you want a harsh ride. If you are running stock bumpers, I would add spring spacers up front and maybe a set of rear lift springs. The rear lift springs will be noticeably stiffer, but will work well loaded. If you just want to improve the spring capacity, try some new factory ride height springs or add a leaf for the best no hassle improvement. Air bags work good, and that may be the right choice for you but there is more maintenance/issues with them than with leaf springs.

Sherman134

Observer
I apologize for the general lack of information, I am familiar with stock jeeps as I have grown up with them. This is my fist vehicle, and my first time modifying anything pertaining to the mechanical or suspension components of any vehicle. Therefore I thought I would look to a group people who are more familiar with lifting vehicles. I chose to post to this forum as after lurking for about six months, you all seem to build vehicles with a more utilitarian mindset and i appreciate a vehicle with both form and function. Any how, thank you for your assistance in differentiating between the various lift options. My vehicle is currently bone stock other than a set of 31 inch bfg ats. Luckily mine came from the factory with most of the basics, ie skid plates, tow hooks, tranny cooler, limited slip diff in the rear, etc. As for my intentions, I would like a vehicle which is used primarily for road duty with the ability to still tow our boat. I also would like to be able to venture offroad for a weekend at most without permanently scarring my flares. I'm not asking for you to make the decision for me, I just wanted some help in making my decision.

Last edited:

Reboot11133

Observer
The Cherokee is an excellent platform to build. I really like the coil front and leaf rear configuration. Having the leafs in the rear really helps stabilize a lifted vehicle in off camber situations and the coil front makes for decent ride quality. I have friends who drive these and they perform really well off road with 3 or 4" of lift. They are excellent for camping etc with all the space inside. I am in the process of installing a long arm in my LJ but was really tempted to convert to leafs in the rear. But I am not ready to invest in something that may actually ruin my LJ. I had a YJ before the LJ and was able to do a cheap lift by shopping on jeep forums and Craigslist. I am not even sure what I ended up with but it was a lot of fun building it and wheeling it. Unless you can afford it don't bother spending a lot of money on it just spend what you need to and go have fun. After driving it for a year or two you will then know what you really want. Maybe you will want to upgrade the Cherokee or maybe try another vehicle. Don't spend everything you have until you really know what you want.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
My brother has the budget spring spacer and block lift for his 96 xj with some 32" on rubicon tires. He really likes it for its superior ride characteristics on and off the road. If you do choose to lift and don't plan bumpers I would highly recommend it. It's budget priced but there's nothing wrong with this lift method. If you think you may do bumpers, look at the old man emu suspensions. They can be bought by the piece which makes them affordable and they ride great with a bull bar and winch. I'm running their heavy coils and shocks on my jku and I love them.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
450 dollars is a lot of gas to get to a lot of places.....
Think about just making what you have stronger so that it will carry the weight better.
A stock Jeep will get you a lot of places. Just think about where the money is going and what you are trying to do with it.
My vote. Look at the options mentioned above to make it stronger not make it taller
Cheers

tommudd

Explorer
I guess I look at things differently than some on here with suggestions of spacer lifts etc
Your XJ is now almost 20 years old, springs and shocks are weak and springs are sagging . After building 3 XJs I know after 60-70,000 miles mine were past upgrading. ( Actually two of them I upgraded suspension before they had 30,000 miles on them
I would look at OME or similar 2-3 inch lift for not only a way better ride than new but also ability to haul whatever you want on weekends
Adding a spacer style lift is like putting a bandaid on an 9 inch gash across your chest.

Sherman134

Observer
I guess I look at things differently than some on here with suggestions of spacer lifts etc
Your XJ is now almost 20 years old, springs and shocks are weak and springs are sagging . After building 3 XJs I know after 60-70,000 miles mine were past upgrading. ( Actually two of them I upgraded suspension before they had 30,000 miles on them
I would look at OME or similar 2-3 inch lift for not only a way better ride than new but also ability to haul whatever you want on weekends
Adding a spacer style lift is like putting a bandaid on an 9 inch gash across your chest.

This has been weighing heavily on my decision. Both of my mechanics have mentioned that my rear shocks are worn out. At 110,000 miles on the odometer, most of the suspension components are well past their expiration date. I began looking at lift kits as most kits replace the aging suspension components such as lower arms, shocks and of course springs. I would love an ome lift, but at nearly $1000 they are out of my price range at the moment. I understand the cherokee is very capable as a stock vehicle. After gaining experience driving off road, I realize the vehicle is only as capable as the driver.

Thank you all for your assistance making this decision. Prior to posting on this forum, I only knew which lift kits were best for rock crawling. While hardcore offloading is nice, I'm just not into building a vehicle for the express purpose of trying to get stuck. In florida the terrain is primarily soft sand and mud. While not as rigorous as other areas , some trails do require a little more articulation than a stock xj can supply.

After doing some reading based on information I have received from this thread, I believe a new set of front coils and arms combined with an add a leaf in the rear will suit my purposes nicely. Two companies I have been researching are rough country and rubicon express. Does any one have any experience with either company, or a company which may be a better alternative?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3