To make up for loosing my Mojo... M101cdn military trailer

Abitibi

Explorer
I lied!

Two more pictures before mounting it on the trailer. Turns out my good friend Jay was bored and while I was away he drop by for a nice surprise. Check this out, nice anti-slip rolled on the top lid, cool hey!

464781de-c873-aff0.jpg

464781de-c859-e073.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
Haven't weight it yet but it feels like around 75-80lbs. I'm sure an aluminum one would have been lighter but I wouldn't have the satisfaction of having it done on my own... And this puppy should be strong like a bull! Bonus, I can take it off, flip it over and it doubles as a emergency canoe! Hahaha

I tossed it onto the trailer last night to see how it fits and it's perfect! I have about 3/16" clearance all around the lid. Still need to mount the piano hinge, struts and tie down clamps, it's all coming together!

Cheers
Mr. D

b897de7e-05a1-5c29.jpg

b897de7e-05b6-1a02.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
Getting closer to hit the road... Today I secured the lid to the trailer with a front stainless piano hinge. Stupid me I bought one without holes in, lesson learned! (yes, it's a lot of fun drilling stainless with a hand drill)

I also mounted the clamps at the back. I chose these ones as they are stainless (marine gears) and can be locked. Still need to install some struts and the RTT then I can call it a day!

Here's a picture of my buddy Rich posing for fame...
464793b9-ff4d-ace9.jpg

The front hinge that gave my drill bits hell:
464793b9-ffa0-72bd.jpg

And the rear clamps.
464793b9-ff82-75c0.jpg

Cheers
Mr. D

dinoevo

Adventurer
Nice work you guys! Yeah I remember Jay, working like a ghost. Next time you check it´s done already.
Not a fan of the light grey though, but at least it fits to the RTT.
By the way how did you attach the tent to the lid?

Abitibi

Explorer
Ahhhhhh, just about done!

46479779-36af-b022.jpg

Tonight I sandwiched the front and sides of the lid between the piano hinge and a 3" flat aluminum bar to tighten things up. Very happy with the results. On the sides I used left over airline tracks.

46479779-3763-130f.jpg

I made sure I could open the tailgate with the lid closed...

46479779-36c6-7289.jpg

46479779-3777-bb51.jpg

46479779-37aa-e07d.jpg

Felix, unless you came helping me paint the lid you don't get to comment on the color! Funny I don't remember you helping... ;-) I secured the tent via the supplied tracks directly to the roof of the lid, very secure that way.

46479779-37db-18a6.jpg

Still have to fit struts and some electrical until I can call it a day!

Cheers
Mr. D

Abitibi

Explorer
I just realized I've never posted pictures of my little trailer in use!
Here's a couple pics from a summer trip (3500 miles) with my two young boys while I managed to convince my wife to stay home and work on the house instead! ;-)
(that's what happens when one doesn't like camping!)

On this particular trip I had over 200 gallons of veggie oil plus a bunch of camping gears store inside the trailer plus the RTT, hwy scale said 2800lbs for trailer alone. My truck runs on veggie oil so I managed my entire trip without having to buy any fuel! I thought I might be pushing the limits on the trailer but it never felt or became a concern for the entire trip. Amazing little piece of engineering!

dy8y8apu.jpg

utavy2es.jpg

adagemyp.jpg

5aty4u6u.jpg

u6uru7e8.jpg

ajuhevu8.jpg

Cheers
Mr. D

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great work! Looks like the boys had a blast.
Cool that the TV runs on Veggie oil.
Do you get the same milage as diesel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven