To Wheel Space or Not to Wheel Space....

KevinMLee

Wannabe
So I was driving down the highway in California when suddenly I saw a an 80 lifted, mud tires, and looking a bit wider than normal.

Aside from rock crawlers needing that extra clearance, what do you think of Wheel Spacers? If so why?

If you do use wheel spacers, how far out are you and what do you think of the durability? Has any spacers ever failed you or torque out? And what brand are you using?

I'm interested only because it looks cool! It gives the 80 a wider more dominant stance and, I imagine, better stability. I could easily just do without, but was considering (keyword is "considering") 1"-1.5" space.

I wanted to see what peoples thoughts are...

I've used spacers on a few vehicles and never had any problems with them. It's not any different handling wise than if you got offset rims. The only failures I've ever seen was someone forgetting to tighten one down and it broke the studs off going down a dirt road. That could have happened the same with a loose rim though. They can make changing the rotors/axles/ etc more of a chore so if you do decide to run them go ahead and take care of all of that maintenance first.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Where did you see the rig?

I run 1.5" spacers on my cruiser mostly because I have FJC wheels and they don't have the same back spacing as factory wheels.

KevinMLee

Wannabe
Where did you see the rig?

I run 1.5" spacers on my cruiser mostly because I have FJC wheels and they don't have the same back spacing as factory wheels.

Oh it was up here in San Francisco area. It looked like a kid and his rig, but more of a "Never-Go-Offroad-so-I-have-Bling-Bling-Rims" sorta deal. It looked cool, so I was just wondering.

I've used spacers on a few vehicles and never had any problems with them. It's not any different handling wise than if you got offset rims. The only failures I've ever seen was someone forgetting to tighten one down and it broke the studs off going down a dirt road. That could have happened the same with a loose rim though. They can make changing the rotors/axles/ etc more of a chore so if you do decide to run them go ahead and take care of all of that maintenance first.

You do bring up a good point! Brake changes can seem like a chore if you have to take off extra parts, though I use my buddies lift at his shop so brake changes aren't quite that bad... I can get all 4 changed in about 45min. He does one side, I do the other... But we'll see... spacers seem cosmetic to me at this moment... I don't have wide enough tires to really warrant spacers.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Any spacer is going to put extra stress on your wheel bearings and other parts of the front axle, period. You might not experience any trouble, but you are compromising strength - it's simple leverage. I know people who use spacers and have no issues, but I know people who run six-inch lift blocks on their leaf springs and have no issues either. It's still courting wear, at least, down the road.

It's basically the same as running wheels with less back spacing. The advantages are looks and slightly better stability. The cons have been covered pretty well by other people. Personally, if you feel like you need a wider track width for the added stability then wheel spacers are a good temporary option until you can get your hands on wider (and preferably stronger) axles. As always YMMV.

Silver dude

Xplorer
There will be a few that will say they are dangerous. I've been told certain tire shops won't touch them. But, google search for horror stories of wheel spacers gone wrong and you'll find very very few real world examples. I looked for a hour for a picture of a accident scene or even just fender damage from a wheel coming off do to spacers. I couldn't find any that didn't admit to improperly torquing the wheel. I'd say the trouble with them is almost on par with torquing normal wheels. But, many talk bad about a product they have no experence with.

I considered using them to as you said make it look cooler and stablize. But, then I realized it places additional load on my front end components with the additional leverage out from the hub so I passed. Sure not more then aftermarket wheels but in a expedition enviroment I feel the headaches of using them are not worth the end result. Makes the truck a little more time consuming to service. Also provides more stuff to go wrong in the field. I've all ways been a K.I.S.S. fan... Keep It Stupid Simple. But, to each his own.

Ben

Cimarron13

I had a failure on my old Jeep Rubicon. Rear wheel came off causing me to roll totaling the Jeep. All bolts were torqued correctly when installed. I assume they loosened because 2 studs were sheared off and the other 3 were stripped. It happened when I left Moab heading back to Texas. I had done Prichett Canyon the day before, which I assume loosened them up. It felt like a ujoint failure was happening so I was slowing down to check so luckily I was only doing around 40 when the wheel came off. Even luckier that it happened before I got to I-10. Funny story about the accident was as I was sitting back right side up collecting myself my tire came bouncing down the road and smacked my driver side door. I wouldn't trust them again myself but I consider what happened a fluke. I think proper rims are a better choice.
One thing to consider is when installing spacers you now have 20-24 extra nuts to routinely check.

KevinMLee

Wannabe
One thing to consider is when installing spacers you now have 20-24 extra nuts to routinely check.

Thats pretty valid... more hardware and extra things that need tightening is no bueno!

I've all ways been a K.I.S.S. fan... Keep It Stupid Simple.

lol. I always thought KISS stood for Keep It Simple Stupid (or at least thats what my photography professor used to yell at me.

It's basically the same as running wheels with less back spacing. The advantages are looks and slightly better stability. The cons have been covered pretty well by other people. Personally, if you feel like you need a wider track width for the added stability then wheel spacers are a good temporary option until you can get your hands on wider (and preferably stronger) axles. As always YMMV.

Any spacer is going to put extra stress on your wheel bearings and other parts of the front axle, period. You might not experience any trouble, but you are compromising strength - it's simple leverage. I know people who use spacers and have no issues, but I know people who run six-inch lift blocks on their leaf springs and have no issues either. It's still courting wear, at least, down the road.

Both Valid points... I hadn't thought of basic physics with more leverage and more torque... while it isn't by much, it can be the straw that breaks the camels back... hmmm... since it is all cosmetic at this point, I'm going to opt out on them... It was just one of those Sunday thoughts as your driving somewhere...

Cimarron13 made a good point about checking the torque on them. I have always used Locktite on the spacers and still check them after a quick fast trip down a gravel road and at another 100-150miles. If any turn then I add another short interval check. The stripped lugs with some sheared are the signs that they worked themselves loose. The exact thing can happen with your standard rims and I've seen that quite a few times Thankfully with no one being hurt badly.

krazytoy

Adventurer
How about a 3.25" back spaced wheel instead of a 4.25" back spaced wheel. Same thing as a 1" spacer...

IMAG0395.jpg

Sempertoy

Explorer
I run 1.5" spacers on mine. I had an issue that was kind of a freak accident, I was in a huge hurry to get done and may or may not have torqued them all down. My wheel fell off at about 30 mph and I slid or my rear driver side rotor for about 50 feet. I jacked the truck up, bolted the wheel back on and drove home. I took it to a shop and they gave everything the once over and said I was fine.

Needless to say I put Loctite on all nuts after that. Have been running them 6 months now since that accident and have had no issues. What I really like about them is they allow me to run FJC steelies that I got for cheap.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Who made yours and can I ask how how much?

I have 1.5" spacers on my BJ74 so I can run factory 80 series alloys. I cleaned all the studs with brake clean, then a drop of blue loctite on each stud, and torque to 90 pounds. After the first week I re torqued them all to be sure. I'll re check them all every tire rotation.

I know quite a few folks that run them and have had no problems following this regimen. I hope I'm the same :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk