Tool help!! I need a good metal cutting saw.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I like the 14 inch cold saws a lot but I wish they made a larger miter saw version. The 10 inch will only cut 1.5" thick on the 45. I'd need at least 2".

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I use a chopsaw for light gauge tubing for all the heavy stuff I like the bandsaw for the set it and forget it while it cuts.

Hint: Do not use HD or HF bandsaw blades and always use vari tooth blades.

old_man

Adventurer
I use only Starret blades. They last many times longer and are actually cheaper in the long run. The coolant also makes about a 10x difference in the life.

You can pick up a cheap HF horizontal band saw for not that much. They have issues but are better than a chop saw. The 7x12 from Harbor Freight (around $800) is actually a really good saw for the money.

Waters

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-x-6-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw-w-Swivel-Head/G9742

Cuts like champ, has run like a top for 4 plus years of heavy use. And its accurate. I have shaved of a big 1/16" off of square tube, channel, etc. If it broke I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Also have an Evolution dry cut saw. It cuts fast but it is super loud and hot chips of metal fly everywhere. And I cant get it to cut straight for the life of me.

Edit: I saw someone posted the Evolution already. Thats a smoking deal for that saw. And the base on mine is very heavy duty, it is about 7 years old so maybe its a different version.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
Also have an Evolution dry cut saw. It cuts fast but it is super loud and hot chips of metal fly everywhere. And I cant get it to cut straight for the life of me.

I have a dust collector that I use close to the saw and all of it is gone. I have the newer one and it cuts straight...
Kevin

Sikocycles

Adventurer
I bought the HD Evo saw thats on sale because it was in the budget. I think it will serve my purpose without spending crazy money

davis31052

Adventurer
Picked up the Northern Tools Ironton 14" dry cut saw today. :wings:

The in store price was $299 but I got them to price match the online price of $239, then they gave me an additional $50 off! SCORE!! I added a 1 yr replacement warranty for $29.00. So out the door it was $238.xx.

Now, when I get past this bout with the flu, I'll make some cuts and provide a review.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven