Top Ten Vehicle Modifications for Overland Travel

Touring4x4

Adventurer
That is part of the fun. Lots of people don't drive 70 series trucks around the world, although they are the most common choice from countries they are available from. I drive a Discovery against my better judgement because I love the car, but I am aware of it's limitations. A G-wagon is ultimately a better choice but suffers from a near non-existent support infrastructure.

I love to debate such things, but in the end, a 70 series is the most logical choice- but not always the best for an individual. That is where research and compromise comes to play along with heavy dose of "gut". :costumed-smiley-007

My apologies as I seem to have fired up some major off topic discussion. :oops:

Here in Oz H1s are a rare novelty, H2s are all blinged up mall cruisers and H3s (the only ones actually brought in by GM) are seen as appealing to the Dodge Nitro crowd more than the Prado/Pajero class competitor that they are. Hence my interest in how they are viewed in their home market.
FYI the 70 series dominate the mining and exploration market here and Hilux and Prado (150 series) dominate the private sector. The Oz military use Land Rover (modified 110" and 130" with Isuzu diesel engines) but in the private sector the LR brand is poison.

southpier

Expedition Leader
okay, i'll bite.

i think a sucessful writer will write to address his targeted audience, and that's how i interpreted the original post. a rocket surgeon addressing a worldwide conference of his peers will present the information differently than, say, if he was going to career day at his son's middle school.

i going out on a limb here, but i think most (per cent wise) members benefiting from the original post will be in the group of people who, through economic constraints or experiences, would be most likely to purchase one of the vehicles mentioned and perform, or have performed, some or all the modifications which would increase the potential of the vehicle.

if an "explorer" already has invested 100,000 anything, pounds, dollars, rupees, he probably has had enough previous vehicles to make his investment one of value. and has little need to limit himself to the aforementioned vehicles.

but for the greatest percentage of forum members, those with vehicles or with the means to obtain one in the future through planning, i think the original post was a great incentive and offered direction based not only experience, but practicality.

i mean, ****** good is a $3,000 kitchen faucet if you have to send to germany and wait 6 weeks for a washer? yeah, it's a beautiful faucet, but i'm going out back and prime the pump 'cause i'm getting real thirsty ...

Touring4x4

Adventurer
Don't let the guys over at AULRO hear you say that! :)

Ha, Im sure they would agree! Poor dealer service has done more damage to the brand than any perceived problems with the vehicles and now they only have about a dozen dealers Australia wide so service and support in the rural areas is non existant.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Ha, Im sure they would agree! Poor dealer service has done more damage to the brand than any perceived problems with the vehicles and now they only have about a dozen dealers Australia wide so service and support in the rural areas is non existant.

No argument on that! That fact has killed LR pretty well over here too, except for those who have a lot of money and concern for status symbols. Have to face it, Land Rover lost it's world share to Toyota a long time ago because of wrong moves like that. Seems like there are still a dedicated bunch over there, if AULRO is any indication, just like here.

David

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
How many of us REALLY know (From experience...) how well our vehicles would work as a world-wide expedition vehicle?

I know that my Liberty works great for what I need it to do, but I don't exactly expect it to be the perfect equipment for MORE than I do now. When that time comes, I will defer to the educated opinions available.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Why don't we forget about what vehicle is the "best" and just talk about what to do with the vehicle we have/choose? :)

David

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Why don't we forget about what vehicle is the "best" and just talk about what to do with the vehicle we have/choose? :)

David

Not really sure how this all got started, but here is what the article says.

I. Purchase the correct vehicle for the job: This applies on both ends of the spectrum, as a Unicat MAN truck would seem just as silly a choice for a trip through England as a Cadillac would be for an expedition across the Simpson Desert. This point cannot be overstated.* Buy a vehicle with reserve capacity and capability for the intended route and conceivable challenges.* If your goal is to travel solo through small colonial towns in Central Mexico, than a large camper is just not appropriate.* If your goal is to cross the Sahara mostly off-piste, then a HiLux is a better choice than a Subaru

II. Simplicity is Key: Determine the core requirements of performance, comfort and integrated systems before turning the first bolt. Simplicity is the solution for reliability and enjoyment of the adventure.* The more complex the vehicle, the more a distraction it becomes in your travels. The more complex the modifications, the greater affect they will have on the base vehicle's reliability. Keep it simple and spend more time enjoying the scenery.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- *Leonardo da Vinci

And that is good information.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Not really sure how this all got started, but here is what the article says.

And that is good information.

Yes. Agree completely with that statement. Somewhere along the line it became a manufacturer discussion though, which it needn't be. Like the article says, there is no "best" vehicle for all cases.

David

SFROMAN

Adventurer
I have driven a humvee on 4 of the 7 continents of the world. The older
m998s sucked. the m114s have yet to prove to me how big pieces of crap they are. Now I dont know if the military vehicles are the exact same thing as the H1 so I am not talking about the H1. I am talking about humvees specially built for the special ops community.

However,
When I am at "work". Most of our "expedtions" are vehicle dependent. We overwork, OVERLOAD, and abuse our gun trucks with little or no maintenance. keep in mind that not every one is a car guy or a real good driver for that matter and yet these vehicles for the most part keep going.

I have seen numerous companies for the last 10 years try to replace the humvee and I have yet to "test drive" one that could meet our demands and needs.
The only other vehicle that we have used is the toyota hilux. Again same thing with those trucks. abused in every way and never let us down.

So to me I would consider the humvee one of the best vehicles out there. I have combat tested them for the last 10 years. I am not an expert car guy, I am not an expert driver, I am not an expert mechanic. Hell, I am not mechanicly inclined but I know for my purposes at work under the most extreme of conditions the humvee has more than proven itself.

For the record there is no way that I would drive one of these vehicles for the purposes of this forum.

To the OP.
I know the artice or the discusion was not about what is the best vehicle for combat. I also know that you have a cetain aduience in mind when writing your article.

Respectfully,
My 2 cents

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
In breezing through the, uh... banter... I saw some mention of the HMMWV or HUMMER for use as an "Expedition" platform, and it reminded me of a crew of guys I met through a mutual friend at SEMA that were from Venezuela that have been using the H1 as their platform for years. I haven't been to the website for a while, so I don't know if it's been updated.

www.hummerexpeditions.com.ve

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
1. tools
2. parts
3. air compressor
4. long rage fuel tank w/ fuel
5. communication cb/ham
6. recovery gear
7. protection skids, bull bar, ect.
8. navigation
9. storage
10. extra $ for the road.

rezdiver

Adventurer
1. tools crescent wrench
2. parts duct tape
3. air compressor foot pump
4. long rage fuel tank w/ fuel jerry can
5. communication cb/ham hand gestures
6. recovery gear duct tape
7. protection skids, bull bar, ect. duct tape
8. navigation map
9. storage in the back
10.extra $ for the road. cash in dirty underwear (the ones you are wearing:), the only ones you brought)

fixed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater