Towable Sailboat "Trailer Sailing"

openboat

Montgomery Sailboats

I sail a Montgomery 17, which has been mentioned in a previous post. Of course it's my opinion that the M17 is the worlds finest trailerable sailboat. As has been mentioned, it is a Lyle Hess design, and mine, a '92, was built by Jerry Montgomery (the boat is manufactured in So. Cal. still by Bob Eeg). There are a couple very comprehensive websites (my apologies if this is a rehash--I didn't read all the posts in this thread):

www.msogphotosite.com
and
www.msog.org

Just a little more info... obt

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Yeah, she is a traditional Dutch boat, the design dates back 200 years but is very practical, can be easily handled with one or two people.

I've heard very good things about the Sea Pearl. I agree, leeboards work surprisingly well, they can be shaped so they are asymentic, and can be angled in slightly so they can get more lift or bite in the water than a centerboard. They also work from the waterline down as opposed to centerboards which work only from the bottom of the boat down. Last advantage, you don't have this big centerboard trunk in the middle of the boat so you have more space and a stronger hull for grounding. Even though our boat weighs 17,000 pounds fully loaded, you can really feel the lift from the leeboards.

You might want to check out "Furled Sails" http://www.furledsails.com Noel the editor/interviewer has a Sea Pearl and he has some great interviews. It is directed to water expeditionrs and boat design.

Getting back on topic, here is a picture of our boat on a proper trailer.

LemsteraakOnTrailer.jpg

This photo was taken in a small harbor just off Lake Ocochobee being loaded to go long. Note the stout cradle, once the trailer gets to the seaport, the boat and cradle get transferred to a special low trailer and rolled into a car carrier to cross oceans. The leeboards and rudder can be taken off and stowed on deck making the whole package even smaller. We left the rudder leeboards on because we weren't sure of the facilities at the other end. I'm thinking of making a steel cradle that can be taken apart and stored in the bilge of the boat to make the process even easier. This way you don't have the hassle and cost of trailers, storage, and having a tow vehicle. I think it is less expensive and easier in the long run.

Rich H

paulj

Expedition Leader
There was a time I dreamed of getting something like a Thomas Colvin steel boat with a Junk rig, and sailing the world :)

I have to be careful when looking at that West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron web site. I think of my self as being on the West Coast - but it's a different one (WC of the USA, as opposed to WC of Florida).

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

What does everyone think of the MacGregor 26'.

http://www.macgregorsailboats.com/

I'm liking the very light trailer weight, and it would fit in my driveway. I know it's not the ideal sailboat. But it would get you out on the water just fine!

Check out the "Gale" Video at the link above!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal