Towing a 16ft Airstream with a 4runner? Other alternatives?

No, it is occupants plus luggage. That number is never referred to as payload anywhere on my door or owners manual.
I'm sorry, you don't understand what you are looking at or reading. It doesn't matter if you call it luggage or cargo. I expect your door sticker says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed...." This combined weight is your "payload" but you can call it whatever you like. Regardless of what you call it, the weight on that sticker is the max you can add. People, stuff in the back or on the roof, trailer tongue weight and after market stuff you've added. FWIW, the door sticker takes precedence over any other numbers you might find because it is specific to each vehicle, depending on trim level and options. Hope this helps.(y)

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Cute story but it's unfortunately a myth, hopefully you don't use that one too much:

The advice you give isn't good. A 4runner will 100% "pull it", just like a Miata would, but it's not the best tool for the job as many have stated.

If you have a 4runner and you want to pull this trailer it would work, you'd likely be outside it's design intent but your call, but there are better options per the OP's question.

Made you go look to see if it was true!!!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
you've come here with a lot of facts that aren't so factual.

I know you're trying to "win," but please stop providing bad advice.
Its ok let him load up his family that apparently weigh nothing then max out his tow rating it will be fine. I bet he runs after market over sized tires at factory door sticker PSI too because thats what the sticker says.

NoDak

The 4.0 liter wasn’t a replacement for the V8 since they offered both in the 4th gens. It was a choice and sadly Toyota stopped offering the choice so the 5th gens got just the 4.0 liter. The 4.0 liter replaces the 3.4 liter. Both the 3.4 and 4.0 are fine motors but neither are well suited to towing at capacity, in the mountains.

The bottom line is that the 4Runner is not an optimal towing rig if you tow at rated capacity. If the OP wants a 4Runner for towing then the V8 would be a better choice as evidenced by how Toyota equipped it with towing related equipment.

Toyota makes equipment purpose built for towing and they call it the Tundra. Aside from the cost of the thing, the Tundra might be a better choice since he wants to live in the trailer.

I still love my 4 Runners but only one of them is good at towing and frankly it’s just better to stay well under the rated capacity no matter what you drive.

In anything else the 4.7 V8 is great. In the 4th gen Runner it was ruined by the flimsy crap manifold design prone to cracking or completely blowing out. If towing and getting the EGT's up that will only make it worse.

Last edited:

tlrols

In anything else the 4.7 V8 is great. In the 4th gen Runner it was ruined by the flimsy crap manifold design prone to cracking or completely blowing out. If towing and getting the EGT's up that will only make it worse.
The exhaust manifold? Maybe I am lucky but so far no issues with that. I have heard Dough Thorley headers are the go to fix.

NoDak

The exhaust manifold? Maybe I am lucky but so far no issues with that. I have heard Dough Thorley headers are the go to fix.

Yeah. I had both originals replaced not long after I bought mine for leaking and those two replacements were also replaced at different times again later under warranty. One actually blew apart at the flange next to the head.

I wish I could have done the DT headers at the time but could never find them in stock when I needed them. Between down time and labor costs I could have paid for those 5x over.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The headers get blown from running it hard and hot. The LC’s were prone to this as were the Sequoias when driven hard

NoDak

The headers get blown from running it hard and hot. The LC’s were prone to this as were the Sequoias when driven hard

My dad has an 06 Sequoia with the 4.7 and pulls a car trailer with it; 3 times with my 4Runner on it. Never had an issue with his cracking or leaking. The only thing I pulled with my 4Runner was my 16.5' Alumarine boat.

The last time the manifold literally blew out I was just merging onto the interstate.

bkg

Explorer

common problem across all 4.7's... not just a 4runner thing at all.

NoDak

So it's safe to say then if living out of a vehicle setup that will be very close to or over max GVWR and GCWR that anything with the Toyota 4.7 V8 is a bad choice.

tlrols

Yeah. I had both originals replaced not long after I bought mine for leaking and those two replacements were also replaced at different times again later under warranty. One actually blew apart at the flange next to the head.

I wish I could have done the DT headers at the time but could never find them in stock when I needed them. Between down time and labor costs I could have paid for those 5x over.
Great advice. I will buy some Thorleys and pay someone to do the swap. My knuckles have bled enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach