Towing Question

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I have an E150 4x4 with a 5.8L and an 8.8 rear axle and the tow capacity is pretty low. So I have a dana 60 sitting on the garage floor(it was for another project) and was thinking of throwing it under my E150.( Yes I was planning on changing the front axle ring and pinion to match rear). It will have 4.56 gears and 33" tires. The van tows pretty well now, but I am pushing my luck and figured the easiest thing to do was swap out axle. I know there are a few logistical things I will need to do also. My big concern's are frame strength(I am beefing up hitch) should I box the frame, transmission is 4AOD. I'm sure there are more but that's what pops up . This is not my first build.

So here is the magic number 10k lbs. What are everybody's thoughts?

Thanks

cwsqbm

Explorer
Its hard to say what the limiting factor is for towing capacity, especially on a modified vehicle. The rear axle's weight capacity may or may not be an issue, but there's also the size of the brakes (fronts especially) to consider, plus spring rates, sway bars, center of gravity height, engine cooling, and last but not least engine horsepower. Changing the gearing allows the engine to run faster, producing more power for a given gear at a given speed, but it only helps so much.

Will you be safe? There's no solid answer to that question. The only thing known for sure if that if you're in an accident, the total weight of your rig will be an issue regardless of what mods you made to effectively (but not legally) increase GCWR.

CJ_Tiz

Things to think of
Spring ratings.... That's one of the big differences. See if you can find a set from a E350.
Frame If i remember right the frame is different between a E350 and E150. The E350 is a thicker box style.
Engine and Transmission Cooling. Plan on going electronic and auxiliary cooler for your trans.
Brakes and master cylinder. Research the parts and see if the E150 and E350 share the same MC.

I use the E350 as reference as I imagine they are close to the same as F350. See if F350 springs line up. They are rated for more than what your looking for.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Thanks guys I have 1 ton front springs now and was planning on running airbags in rear and possible changing rear spring pack. The 1/2 ton has a 2.5 wide leaf compared to 3" on 1 ton. It would not be that hard to change out spring hangers. Brakes are something I was also thinking about especially on front. I just have not decided if I want to also put a dana 60 on the front which would solve that problem, after I change brake M.C. and booster. I have installed 1 ton running gear on a 1/2 truck before and learned a few lesson's. The trailer I have has 7k pound each axles with brakes to match on all four wheels. This will not tow this weight more then 3 times a year, at a distance of about 1000 miles.
Engine power is the one I can not get around. I have not decided on what to do on this whole problem.
I know it is not ideal. I use to have a 1 ton truck and could not justify keeping it with cost of insurance and registration cost so I was hoping to make van work .

Thanks

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
You may run into a height issue on that spring hanger swap. Height of the frame that is, I believe the 1/2 ton is shorter. Should be easy to verify though.

Toolman

Explorer
consider a transmission cooler, which comes part of the factory installed tow package with a 10,000 lb max tow rating. BTW you can get an E350 registered as an automobile, or RV if it meets all criteria and save big time on insurance and registration. File a statement of facts to the DMV for your intended purpose and they will modify the registration accordingly. Takes a few minutes and you need to be extra sweet to the lady with the nice manicure behind the counter but it can be done.

For all the work you have to do to get it where you want it, I'd consider selling and moving to a E350 platform. There are a few for sale right now under $15k out there.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
consider a transmission cooler, which comes part of the factory installed tow package with a 10,000 lb max tow rating. BTW you can get an E350 registered as an automobile, or RV if it meets all criteria and save big time on insurance and registration. File a statement of facts to the DMV for your intended purpose and they will modify the registration accordingly. Takes a few minutes and you need to be extra sweet to the lady with the nice manicure behind the counter but it can be done.

For all the work you have to do to get it where you want it, I'd consider selling and moving to a E350 platform. There are a few for sale right now under $15k out there.

Thanks guys! I have come to the realization that it's time to start looking for E350. Maybe a diesel. It just makes more sense.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad