Toyo M-55

Erik N

Adventurer
My review of Toyo M-55 255/85/16's

Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of Toyo M-55’s from a Les Schwab dealer. My prerequisite for a new set of shoes for the truck was an E rated tire (for durability) in the 255/85/16 size. That left few options. They replaced a very old set of Chaparral AT’s (made by Cooper, D-rated, narrow with buttery soft sidewalls), which one was kept as a spare. I love to discuss tires, so after about only 900 miles on them on an ’88 Suburban ¾ ton 4x4, here is my review.

The first impression of the M-55 is of their clean, businesslike appearance. As I have posted before, I was seriously considering the Toyo MT as well, but that is such an ugly tire IMO with its tribal tattoo patterns that I just couldn’t bring myself to get them. The M-55’s smooth sidewalls and commercial-looking tread really “match” the classic old-school look of my square-body 'Burb. I like that ;) ...Time (and some mud) will tell if I regret not having an aggressive MT, but as far as appearance goes I am happy.
IMG_4068.JPG

Next I started fiddling with inflation pressures. I had the tires inflated to 40psi all around at installation, and drove them like that for about 200 miles to break them in. The daytime temps were in the 90’s, so they got in a few decent heat cycles to loosen them up. Others have posted about the M-55’s stiff sidewalls and consequently harsh ride, especially on smaller vehicles. My Submarine weighs 5920lbs unloaded with a full tank of gas. I loaded up the truck with my 2 sons and camping gear and set out for a week of fishing the mountains.
IMG_4039.jpg

Even loaded w/ roughly 850# of people and gear, plus 40 gallons of gas, 40psi was still (barely) too harsh on pavement. I tried experimenting with the pressures to run them just below the stiff sidewall “slap” over potholes and expansion strips, while monitoring a full contact patch (ie chalk test). The “sweet spot” turned out to be 36psi front/38psi rear, loaded. I would drop a pound or 2 out of that when unloaded. At the proper pressures, they had a comfortable, resilient, confidence-inspiring feel, with almost zero road harshness. I tried running 34psi, but the tall sidewalls would begin to “lean” slightly around higher-G turns when loaded. I would bet that 90% of the population wouldn’t even notice the difference, but I tried to pay attention. The tall sidewall adds to the comfort of the tire, but I could imagine that this tire in smaller aspect ratios (hence shorter sidewalls) could be a harsh ride on lighter vehicles.
IMG_4064.jpg

On the subject of tall sidewalls, there was a difference of 5psi going from cool AM temps to late afternoon, full sun, hot rolling temperatures. I think the UV rays hitting the huge black sidewall area might account for this large difference in inflation pressure, because my low-aspect ratio Porsche tires only change a few psi at most during the day, unless being beat-up at the track. Also, the pressures increased an additional 1psi for every 1000’ altitude change. As I mentioned before, the “sweet spot” was a sensitive range of pressures, so going from a morning sea-level start up over an 8000’ pass would result in a somewhat “slappy” ride over the torn-up alpine pavement, unless some air was let out along the way.

The sound of the tire is as how others have mentioned. It lets you know there is some traction there, but it’s not obnoxious. It is like an “rrrrrrr” winding-up sound, as opposed to an “AARRRR” sound, or a "HUHRRR" or the “RROWWL” of a mudder. The noise starts quickly on rotation, gets loudest at medium speeds, and dies out around 65mph to wind and engine noise. Incidentally, 65mph is when it tosses out its final bits of gravel from the voids (and it does like to pick up ½” gravel). I thought the noise was actually kind of pleasant to listen to, not an overbearing or demanding sound at all.

The off road driving I did consisted of about 60 miles of dry, rough, rocky trails. IMO, this type of driving is generally where the 255/85/16 size really shines! Their larger diameter helps them roll through rough material more smoothly, and their narrow footprint allows driving around obstacles, rather than over them, allowing more precise tire placement and less bouncing around.
IMG_4063.jpg

I aired down to about 22F/24R, probably I could have gone way lower but I didn’t feel the need, the tires were supple enough for me there. The sidewalls (gotta love thick sidewalls:D) at that pressure had a very uniform curvature to them, not “squashed out” like my old tires used to. The pic below is one side of a "V" shaped gully, only the 4 corners of the tires plus some sidewall was holding the truck up.
IMG_4056.jpg

The terrain was not particularly difficult; probably any reasonable tire would have been fine with 4WD. So it was not a “traction test” at all. I did make a few trips around my dad’s ranch pulling equipment for him up and down very steep, off-camber, dry grassy slopes, that his midsize 4x4 tractor with its “big lug” farm tires wouldn’t grab on safely (the first trip was actually pulling up the tractor, which was pulling a water tank with a few hundred gallons in it). The M-55’s slid around quite a bit, but I think anything would in those conditions anyway. I will say that they did not suffer a single sidewall cut or a single torn lug or shoulder chunk… they are hardly even scuffed. They have a reputation for being a trustworthy, indestructible design, and so far that appears to be true!
IMG_4067.jpg

That’s it for now. I will be heading out again in mid-October; maybe I will get some snow or mud to comment on then. Adios :sombrero::beer:
IMG_4066.jpg

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
A very nice report sir.

I like how you describe all things tire.

Also like your tire pressures, psi sounds right to me.

Erik N

Adventurer
Redline, I knew you would pipe in LOL

So, at least now you know my favorite 255! :D

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
So, at least now you know my favorite 255! :D

And a great tire they are! :)

My neighbor still has the set of LR D 255/85R16 M55s I sold him years ago, and I was looking at them today as we discussed suspension options to lower his 2003 F250 (he lifted his F250 5-6 inches several years ago and no longer likes it, he's hoping to make it about 2.5 inches taller than stock).

Those old LR D M55s have been good to him, he's used them for several hunting trips. However, he looked at my outfits today and thinks he will go with a 285 next time, though I tried to steer him back to the 255/85.

You're so very correct about the appropriate looks...the M55 looks great on your Suburban, and any 255/85 looks better on my F350 than a 285. :smiley_drive:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
So here is a related question.....

Right now on my truck I've got 285/75R17 Coopers but I think I'm willing to give M55s a try at my next tire purchase. I would like to go narrower (285s are 11.5 inches wide) but I don't want to go any shorter in height (I'm at about 34 inches now). Problem is the M55 doesn't come in a 34 inch height for a 17 inch wheel. The closest I can come with the M55 is a 255/85R16. So I'd have to get new wheels to run that tire size.

I think I can justify the cost of the tires to my wife by saying they will last a lot longer, but I'm not so sure about justifying the cost of buying new wheels on top of that. So is a piddly little inch less width really going to make a difference in fuel economy, handling, and snow traction? My thinking is the skinnier tire will have less rolling resistance and I'm told they are better on snow and ice, but I just don't know if 1 inch will be a good enough difference.

One thing I like about the 255/85R16 M55s versus then 285/75R17 MT is that the 255 is a lot lighter.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
So here is a related question.....

Right now on my truck I've got 285/75R17 Coopers but I think I'm willing to give M55s a try at my next tire purchase. I would like to go narrower (285s are 11.5 inches wide) but I don't want to go any shorter in height (I'm at about 34 inches now). Problem is the M55 doesn't come in a 34 inch height for a 17 inch wheel. The closest I can come with the M55 is a 255/85R16. So I'd have to get new wheels to run that tire size.

I understand wanting to go narrower, but not wanting to go shorter makes it tough. You are running a nice but also pretty uncommon size (285/75R17), about the tallest 255/85R16 is the Toyo M/T, 33.5".

I think I can justify the cost of the tires to my wife by saying they will last a lot longer, but I'm not so sure about justifying the cost of buying new wheels on top of that. So is a piddly little inch less width really going to make a difference in fuel economy, handling, and snow traction? My thinking is the skinnier tire will have less rolling resistance and I'm told they are better on snow and ice, but I just don't know if 1 inch will be a good enough difference.

One thing I like about the 255/85R16 M55s versus then 285/75R17 MT is that the 255 is a lot lighter.

New wheels for new tires is a very expensive option, it will take a long time to make up the cost with mpg. However, depending on your rig, driving style, etc., the mpg difference between a 235/85 ,265/75 and up to a 255/85 compared to 285s can be substantial, often about 2 mpg. I've only run 285s a bit on my F350 which has mostly run 255/85, but did see mpg drop. I also heard plenty of reports from other pickup owners years ago when I was doing more diesel truck stuff who went from smaller/narrower sizes to 285s and complained about mpg loss.

I'm in the opposite situation as you, new 8" wide wheels to perfectly fit the 285/75R16 tires I already have are looking attractive, as I don't like a 285 squeezed on my OE 7" Ford wheel. However, I'm also not wild about going to a wider wheel, which will stick out of the fender a little, and would rather have 255/85s again on the 7" wide OE wheels. Though the cost is the problem... new tires are expensive and a want not a need. If I find a local friend to buy my 285s... maybe.

Erik N

Adventurer
Toyo M55 Update

This is a brief update to the review of Toyo M55 255/85/16's that I wrote a few months ago.

I'll start with some compliments they received. My fishing pal, when he first saw them, said, “Wow, those things have some tread!” And some rockcrawlers I met told me, “Nice rig!” while literally eyeing the tires. :cool:

I put only about 600 more miles on them during my annual October fishing trip. They travelled about 500 miles on pavement, and 100 off, in similar conditions as my previous post, i.e. dry, dusty, and rocky. I drove some additional trails rough enough to screw up my alignment pretty badly. I have some videos of that route; I'll try to upload them later.

As I mentioned before, the benefit of those huge, beefy sidewalls (over 8” tall) is that they act as a gigantic buffer for the smaller obstacles on the road. And the 33” diameter will roll over or around most stuff that the smaller tires will fall into. Some of the terrain was pretty rough for stock 4x4 standards, but I didn't even bother to remove my truck's hubcaps... and they got only a few small dings.

I decided that the off road pressures could drop a few pounds and still hold their reliability well. I ran 20F/22R (down 2psi from before). I think the tire could be deflated even more to allow a “soft and flexible” crawling-type footprint, but I was happy at 20/22.
The picture below shows the front tire at 20psi and a nice, even flex.

DSCN0028.JPG

There is still negligible tread wear and no chunking. You can see in the above pic some tiny bits removed from within the outer lug sipes, after some decently rough rocky miles… barely noticeable.

I talked about the PSI fluctuations in my previous post. Keeping the ideal pressures was easier this time, because of less ambient temperature changes.

Traction was a non-issue again. No mud, snow, or ice to be found.

I gotta say, that I have huge confidence in these tires. They are a capable, industrial, hopefully indestructible tire. With their tall, thick sidewalls and multi-ply rating, I feel secure running them over pretty much anything. The $1400 spent will be well worth it the first time I avoid a flat. Maybe I already have! :sombrero:

Last edited:

toddz69

Explorer
Can anyone share how closely these tires come to their 33.xx" overall height spec in real life? I've been disappointed with BFGS, in particular, in the past that are nowhere near their alleged height.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

If there anything like the toyos mt's I have then I would say there pretty acurate.
Can anyone share how closely these tires come to their 33.xx" overall height spec in real life? I've been disappointed with BFGS, in particular, in the past that are nowhere near their alleged height.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I miss the 285-75-16 M-55's I had on my old Dodge.
Over 120 members of Cummins Forum signed a petition to Toyo requesting some larger than stock M-55's in 17". No dice.
The Toyo AT II's will be my next tire.

toddz69

Explorer
I miss the 285-75-16 M-55's I had on my old Dodge.
Over 120 members of Cummins Forum signed a petition to Toyo requesting some larger than stock M-55's in 17". No dice.
The Toyo AT II's will be my next tire.

I haven't decided my path entirely yet. I'm changing some things in my front end configuration and I have to mock things up to see if a 16" wheel will work. If it does, I'll go with the M55s. If I have to go to 17s, I'll likely follow your path and go with the AT IIs although I'm not at all thrilled with the significant increase in tire weight with the AT II Xtremes.

Todd Z.

Longone

Great info here and the other tire related posts regarding the 255/85r16 size.

This is my first post here so a brief intro might be in order. I live in SoCal and drive a 2003 Tacoma TRD dual cab which I have put 210,000+ miles on as my daily driver, camping and hunting. I have gone through three sets of 265/75 BFG Ats and am over due for a new set of rubber. These days the majority of the miles I put on are highway to and from work and most of the off road time is spent at higher speeds on dirt and gravel roads. I have always wanted to go up a size (bigger tire, smaller bumps) but dont want the weight and width of 285/75s. While the BFGs have severed me well and have held up for a long time I have always felt their wet weather traction left a lot to be desired.

I have poured over the this thread as well as the other tire threads and narrowed the selection down to the Cooper S/t and the Toyo M55 in 255/85r16 and based on the reviews from the this thread related to the type of driving I do, it seems that the m55s are the right choice. That is until I called my tire shop whose opinion is that these heavy E rated tires are going to be over kill for my relatively light truck, saying that my little 3.4L V6 will struggle with the weight which will tax my breaks and gas mileage.

While I understand that these tires are designed for heavy loads and big trucks, is running them on a light smaller truck going to be a hindrance?

Thanks in advance for the opinions and advice, the collective experience on this board is impressive and I look forward to contributing going forward.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3