Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Surely some people are running the popular Toyo M/T, but if you are specifically asking about the 255/85 size, who knows how many there are participating here on ExPo and running that Toyo thread?

It's been about 4 years since I ran a set of these on my F-350, they didn't stay long as they were wearing much too quickly for me, so I dumped them for other treads.

I'm still telling the story, painfully slow over years, but plan to publish the last post with the wear data soon (this month I hope). The fast wear is probably not as much of a concern on a lighter, non-diesel truck.

http://roadtraveler.net/toyo-mt-25585r16-part-5/

James

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'd like to see some of the tire manufacturers offer the same tread pattern in a couple of different tread compounds. Stiffer better wearing rubber for big heavy rigs like my Dodge, and a softer more comfortable version for my TLC. I'd running the Toyo MT on both. As it is now, I'm probably going to be staying with the Cooper ST Maxx unless Toyo steps up and offers me the discount they claim to have written up for me. Time will tell on that one...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'd like to see some of the tire manufacturers offer the same tread pattern in a couple of different tread compounds. Stiffer better wearing rubber for big heavy rigs like my Dodge, and a softer more comfortable version for my TLC...

That's a pretty cool idea, though I doubt it will happen (we can hope). The closest/recent example of this I can recall is when Cooper offered the Discoverer S/T, and Discoverer S/T "C"... as I remember it the S/T C had a more cut/chip resistance compound and was targeted at the commercial markets. Of course the S/T MAXX is now filling that slot.

Fargo

Adventurer
The Cooper At3 and ATW are very similar tires with different rubber compounds as well. But the tread is a little different.

But more than tread compounds I would like to see them go back to offering different load ranges. Tread compounds could be formulated for the different load range as well. I load range C with a soft compound vs a load range E with a stiffer longer wearing compound.

zzz150

Adventurer
i ran the st maxx on my f150 in 285s and am now running the older cooper st in 255s on my jeep jk. the maxx were a rougher ride on the road, even with the bigger heavier rig at the same pressure. i am really happy with the st model as they are great in everything but slick mud, no worse than the st maxx though. put 40000km on them this past year and figure i will be good for another 12-15k.

i was thinking of going with the toyos in 255s this spring when i need new tires. i want the beefier sidewalls and better off road performance. the only downsides i see is a bit less siping and an extra 10lbs a tire.

******** cepek is now offering a 255 in their new extreme country, it measures out to 32.8 tall, which imo is short when compared to the toyo, cooper st and bfg km2. i would go with the maxx but they are also 32.8. not a huge difference but almost 3/4 compared to the toyo at 33.5.

arhowlett

Most manufacturer's offer the 255/85R16 in an "M/T" type tread pattern.
What if they offered this 33" size in something different like a more aggressive A/T pattern such as the new Falken Wildpeak A/T3W?

Or what if manufacturers offered a new size like 265/80R16 that was a true narrow 33" (not a theoretical 32.7)

Maybe it's because I'm in Southern California but I just don't see the need to have an M/T on overland vehicles that don't see the mud that often nor do much rock crawling. On the other hand I do like the concept of being over prepared.

Cheers.

Fargo

Adventurer
Most manufacturer's offer the 255/85R16 in an "M/T" type tread pattern.
What if they offered this 33" size in something different like a more aggressive A/T pattern such as the new Falken Wildpeak A/T3W?

Or what if manufacturers offered a new size like 265/80R16 that was a true narrow 33" (not a theoretical 32.7)

Maybe it's because I'm in Southern California but I just don't see the need to have an M/T on overland vehicles that don't see the mud that often nor do much rock crawling. On the other hand I do like the concept of being over prepared.

Cheers.

Cooper makes the STMAXX in that size. But I would love to see more options too.

As far as new sizes, I'd love to see odd widths with 85/80 aspect ratios. For example 255/85R16 (25580R17) and 275/85R16 (275/80R17) That would give a nice 33" and 34.5" tire sizes.

motoboy125

Redline, I'm going in between getting a 265/75r16 or a 255/85r16 I am currently running 235/85r16. Is the height the same on the 255 and 235

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Redline, I'm going in between getting a 265/75r16 or a 255/85r16 I am currently running 235/85r16. Is the height the same on the 255 and 235

No, all those sizes are different heights, and you need read the specs for the specific brand/tread you are considering.

$0.01 :)

jim65wagon

As a very general rule:
265/75/16 = 31.5" tall with a 10.5" section width (NOT tread width)
235/85/16 = 32" tall with a 9.5" section width
255/85/16 = 33" tall with a 10" section width
285/75/26 = 32.8" tall with an 11.2" section width.
These are only "in general" numbers as the true tire size varies by manufacturer - but they are close enough you can grasp the differences to see which may fit your vehicle better.

Oh. And for those that don't quite understand: Section width is the widest part of the tire at the sidewall.

Mr. Merk

BFG MT & Toyo MT 255/85R16
85IMG_4339.jpg

I'd like to see the KM3 next to the Toyo. The KM3 seems to be unusually narrow at 7.1" tread width

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach