Toyota Diesels...Specifically 2H or?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I have a 1980 HJ45. Pics are on the site under topless...It has a the H motor. Specter and other shops usually stock the essentials, like oil filters and fuel filters. it has ok power. I can do about 70 on the freeway. Come to Reno and you can check it out.

cruiser guy

Explorer
I find the 3B with a turbo to be a faily gutsy engine considering it's only a 4 banger.

The FJ55 which has a fresh 3B with a turbo in it hauled up out of Ashland/Medford and over the Siskyou at 60mph loaded! It's running stock tires and 3.7 gearing. The BJ60 with the AXT turbo isn't that good but it's heavier and I'm about to replace the rockers after 500,000km's. I think it needs to breathe better and the old rockers are worn where the valve stem rides making for a loose valve even when adjusted correctly.

Whatever you do, GET A TURBO!!

I've pulled a flatbed with an FJ55 body shell on it from LA to Vancouver, B.C. with the BJ60. That was up and over the grapevine. I've also flat towed the FJ55 before we restored it from Minot, ND to Vancouver with a non-turbo'd 3B!

blupaddler

Conspirator
calamaridog said:
They won't let you swap a cleaner burning, newer motor into the 60 but they will let you do an older one? What am I missing here?

For a swap, at least my understandings. (someone correct me if I am wrong)
You cannot use an engine that was not made/produced in the USA. Also, the engine must come from a lesser weight vehicle, which rules out some of the 4bt swaps people are doing.

NOTE: This is for California only. The Golden State. Move here while you can.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Robb,

Great thread as I'm interested in the Toyota options as well for a diesel conversion.

When I was researching this earlier I actually went to the effort to call CARB.

blupaddler said:
For a swap, at least my understandings. (someone correct me if I am wrong)
You cannot use an engine that was not made/produced in the USA. Also, the engine must come from a lesser weight vehicle, which rules out some of the 4bt swaps people are doing.

NOTE: This is for California only. The Golden State. Move here while you can.

You are pretty much spot on. The grey area I believe is where the engine came from. But other than that, the engine has to be from a vehicle the same year or newer, and the same weight class or lower. So, technically a 4BT Cummings or 4BD Isuzu, even a GM 6.2/6.5 is not legal. Although, I have been seeing people get away with the 4BT in FJZ80s in CA. Not quite sure how they are doing it. That is way Luke at 4x4Labs was trying to pioneer the MB 617 swap, because it is a legal option.

I'm not quite sure how the laws apply for '75 and older but now that I have a 55 I am more interested. You may way to look at a pre-76 FJ55 and you might be able to avoid the laws since they are smog exempt. HTH.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
KMR said:
go for the one that came bolted in there.

I was very close to doing a 2H swap and in fact found a long block in California (of all places) that would not budge on price despite not being able locally to sell it. Anyway, my initial investigation IIRC told that the 2H and F/2F/3F blocks had the same bellhousing pattern as well as motor mounts. That was originally why I was very interested in a 2H into a 1987- Cruiser.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
pskhaat said:
I was very close to doing a 2H swap and in fact found a long block in California (of all places) that would not budge on price despite not being able locally to sell it. Anyway, my initial investigation IIRC told that the 2H and F/2F/3F blocks had the same bellhousing pattern as well as motor mounts. That was originally why I was very interested in a 2H into a 1987- Cruiser.

Bellhousings are the same, however the motormounts are different, easier mod than most though. I'm not sure about radiator mods, seems the upper outlet is on the wrong side for the OE 2H setup??

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
cruiseroutfit said:
the motormounts are different, easier mod than most though

Another thing with which I would have struggled :O

Yes, the water pump outlet faces the opposite way but was an easy fix with a two-part hose.

esh

Explorer
So the new GM V6 oil burners supposedly coming out "real soon" might be possibilities for KA residents?

Cringe if you will but the Liberty CRD engine scoots that thing right along. Not the most efficient engine.. it felt like it was built for power and not economy, like every other freakin diesel motor coming to the US (save VW's 1.9). I think a Land Cruiser might implode if a CRD were transplanted?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
the biggest bummer is almost all 2Hs are 24 volt, making them much harder to adapt. I loved the one I own but reliability wise they are not considered bullet proof in fact quite known for mostly premature head issues. that said mine still lives strongly with 200K miles on the clock (at least 30K with the turbo) down on the Yucatan Pennisula. They are smoother and back then 10hp was a big difference to Toyota (much different rational of thought) and they are underpowered but I consider the 3B to be much worse. I would get it it but consider it an inferior engine that might need significant work. If it were cheap I'd recommend if not I'd save for something more practical. A 3B with a turbo is stronger and more reliable. The secret to 3B's is pulling the heads and with a cheapo autozone kit, porting and polishing the precups. Then it "breathes" and you can crank the boost and get plenty of longevity with little compromise of fuel mileage. The 1HZ is a great engine but has weaknesses too. The 2H is the same block the 12H-T is a great engine and the 2H is not in my opinion. The difference: direct inject. And generally smarter late 80s versus early 80s/late 70's design.. If it were me the Toyota diesels I would most consider are the 12H-T and the 1HD-T which is rare and can have issues too. Much more expensive to acquire though. I hope this helps. The ih8mud diesel section really is a good source to get good well versed and unbiased info on all these diesels. We suffer greatly from a major shortage of available diesels here. Also, there are ways around the CARB restrictions if you look closely. It is still a PITA swap but my favorite and most recommended is the Isuzu 4BD1T swap, good info about it on Mud and on the link in my sig for the Cummins site. Cheers, Andre

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
For what its worth, we will be pulling an "H" diesel and 4Speed out of a 40 series troopie soon and will be selling the whole shebang for $1000

We are installing a 1HD-T and H55f in its place! Full build and tech writeup coming soon!

Carry On :D

Scoot Jockey

My troop carrier has a 2H, and I have been very happy with it. Honestly though, I have only had my 2H for about two years, so I am still just getting to know it. Australians (12v), some Canadians (24v), and various other folks around the world have lived with these Cruisers for 20+ years. These are the people who can tell you how these motors do day after day, year after year, for the life of the Cruiser.

Good luck in your search,

Scoot

mongoose2231

Observer
Ok, to chime in, on all the Australian based forums, the 2H is revered for it's durability, and only turbo-ing them makes them susceptible to premature head issues. I own an '87 HJ60 with the late model 2H. I have taken the engine apart to rebuild, for the sake of having an engine that would last me another 25 years. The engine ran great and started every time but had relatively low compression, hence the rebuild. I could not think of a simpler, easier to work on engine than this. My 2F Gasser was a lot more complicated due to all the emissions stuff. I would not shy away from purchasing a truck with this engine. Albeit, the 12HT is the turbo, direct injected version of this engine and is a sweeter power-plant, but to answer the OP question, the 2H is a mighty good engine. I know I'll own my truck for a long time because of that. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad