Toyota Losing it's Mojo?

Ozarker

what are you talking about?
Americans in the United States have an election and after that, according to what is being promised by one Canidate there will be tariffs placed on all imports, Chinese stuff at 100%, 20+% on imported vehicles, this would also include parts.

A tariff in the US can be put in place by the President without Congressional action.

Might brace yourself and consider planning for higher prices depending on what happens.

No political comments, these are just facts that may affect prices on some popular vehicles used in Overlanding.

Umbrarian

Observer
Americans in the United States have an election and after that, according to what is being promised by one Canidate there will be tariffs placed on all imports, Chinese stuff at 100%, 20+% on imported vehicles, this would also include parts.

They can build here and avoid tariffs.

But if the other candidate gets elected, the massive tax increases promised on my income will make any car made anywhere unaffordable.

No political comments, these are just facts that may affect prices on some popular vehicles used in Overlanding.

Reactions: bkg

Ozarker

But if the other candidate gets elected, the massive tax increases promised on my income will make any car made anywhere unaffordable.

Then you make over $400,000.00 a year before that tax is applied to you and you should be able to buy any overlanding rig you want, so, good for you.

It would be nice if all vehicles sold in the US were made in the US, but they aren't now and that can't happen in just a few months, it could take years to achieve that, if it ever did happen, easier to just raise the price. 20% on a $45,000.00 vehicle would make it $ 63,000.00, the most likely outcome.

Playing "what about" or pointing out other political points that are not related to the tariffs or car prices contemplated is getting off topic, this isn't a place for political arguments, IMO. :)

Mack M

Not realistically for everyone. It’s not that simple. Perhaps auto parts are different, as I assume that is mostly machine, rather than human labor, but for example, I am in the business of rock climbing footwear. Every single pair, regardless of brand, of rockclimbing shoes are put together by hand. We make them in China and we sell them here in the United States from $99-$179. I have looked and I have tried to find a way to make them in Wyoming at my distribution warehouse. This is not possible, it’s simply will not work. We would have to charge somewhere between $300 and $400 a pair. Globalization is real and labor rates matter. Hopefully ai and machines can help this and bring more manufacturing back, but it costs more to manufacture here, its just the truth. I have a lot a friends in contacts that manufacturer in China. Some of them were hurt by tariffs due to the last administration and moved out of China. Zero of them moved back to the United States, they all went to Vietnam and India. Their businesses would no longer be viable at US labor rates.

Mack M

Back on topic, this was an interesting video, that short bed reg cab is so sweet! It was a bummer though to see a lot of the cost cutting (and maybe more importantly, weight reduction) in the new models, but all manufacturers are doing that. Love this guy’s videos.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Through 75 years of life I have learned that a history of reliability and quality does not transfer to the future. Designed in failures, both accidental and deliberate change the product.

Or as they say in financial investments:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

tacollie

Glamper
I've owned 14 Toyotas and been a member of a couple of clubs. Everybody thinks their favorite gen is best gen. The last couple years they might have gone downhill but I don't really know. I think if the internet was more prevalent in the 1900s and 2000s you could swap in any model year motor you want. My '08 Tundra 5.7 was great when I sold it at 130k even though it's was 1000lbs over GVWR. I have a 22re with 150k that needs it's 2nd head gasket replacement. I had a 3.0 that blew a hg at 170k leaving me stranded. By buddies '16 4Runner burns more oil than his '94 FZJ80 but only because he runs 20w-50 in the 80🤣. I've lost more than one Saturday replacing a 4.7 starter.

I bought a F250 because I wanted a truck with over 3000lbs of payload. If Toyota offered one I probably would have bought a Toyota. If something happens to my Ford I would probably replace it with another Ford. Ford Motorcraft parts are dirt cheap compared to JDM.

phsycle

Adventurer
I have a friend with a 3rd gen tundra. 40-50k miles. Just driving along, display says Engine Off, please park. Or something like that. Coasts to a stop, cranks but no start. Wait a few min, and starts up. No CEL.
Sounds like not an uncommon occurrence according to a quick internet search.

I had something similar with my 3rd gen Tacoma as well.
No issues with two of my Ford’s. Knock on wood. Definitely not infallible.

For my next truck, I’ll still look at Toyota’s. But won’t look at them the same way I did back in the 90’s or early 2000’s.

Mack M

I have a friend with a 3rd gen tundra. 40-50k miles. Just driving along, display says Engine Off, please park. Or something like that. Coasts to a stop, cranks but no start. Wait a few min, and starts up. No CEL.
Sounds like not an uncommon occurrence according to a quick internet search.

I had something similar with my 3rd gen Tacoma as well.
No issues with two of my Ford’s. Knock on wood. Definitely not infallible.

For my next truck, I’ll still look at Toyota’s. But won’t look at them the same way I did back in the 90’s or early 2000’s.
Exactly, I feel the same way. 10 years ago, no question, I’m going Toyota. I’ll still look, but not an automatic decision like it used to be.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Back on topic, this was an interesting video, that short bed reg cab is so sweet! It was a bummer though to see a lot of the cost cutting (and maybe more importantly, weight reduction) in the new models, but all manufacturers are doing that. Love this guy’s videos.
That’s a sweet truck he bought. I have the 2uz-fe and but I’d be taking the 3ur any day and twice on Sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3