Toyota Van?

IronViking

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone here rolls a Toyota
4x4 mini van?I have a 2 wheel drive and love it.
Its lite weight, gets 25 to 28 MPG carries 10 ft lumber inside
and a whole stack of drywall. And it seems to go just as
fast fully loaded or empty
I would like to pick up a 4x4 version and make some
mods. Any one got pics or info on what they think?
Thanks
Sean

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Sienna's aren't 4x4--they're AWD. I've heard that the AWD system in the Sienna's weren't that great. Besides, the low low ground clearance of the minivan would limit you to just the paved roads. To me, modding a minivan is a waste of time and $$. You have so much better platforms to work with.

Keep your 2WD and get some chains for the snow. Then get a real 4x4 for your off-road adventures. :ylsmoke:

AndrewP

Explorer
We were just in Death Valley and met up with a guy in an older Toyota 4x4 minivan. It had IFS and locking hubs just like the trucks of the same era. It was mid-80s and pre-Previa/Sienna.

It would make a great desert rig-good economy, lots of room etc. The downside is low clearence and no lift options available. Still cool little trucks if you stay on dirt roads and out of the big rocks.

A 4WD Sienna is too nice and too expensive to bash up off-road, but I agree it is a nearly ideal vehicle. We've owned two and plan to keep the current one (a 2004) until the wheels fall off. I don't know anything about the worthiness of the AWD system. This is the first I've read it isn't good, but I don't follow it in the forums. We got the two wheel drive with traction/skid control since we had other 4 wheel drives for really bad weather or off-roading.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
No I think he means the 80's genuine Toyota 4WD vans, "terrorist vans" as my friends call them :). They are like an IFS pickup with their own 4cyl engine (not a 22RE). Great vans, I would totally roll with one - they even come with standard transmissions. There is a good site from some Utah guys who used to off road them heavily. The site is meant to be a joke but at the same time these guys really are off roading their Toyota vans :)

The era after, the Previa, are also tough as nails and I have friends who run them too for mostly recreation-focused stuff, ie lots of mountain biking, but abuse them, most go well over 200K miles. But the previas are AWD, whereas the first are 4WD. I say run them. The issue is they are loved and well used so hard to find one in good shape still that hasn't been abused...

Last edited:
I had an ’87 Toyota 4X4 Van that I lived out of for about a year and a half while traveling the west coast of N.A. Took it through B.C., WA, OR, CA, Mexico (Baja and mainland), AZ, NV, UT, ID, WY, MT, then through Glacier NP, into Alberta, and eventually back home to Hood River, OR. I logged 18,000 miles on the trip, many of which were off highway.

The Toyota Van was a comfortable platform, and did well on off road terrain- actually; I was pretty impressed at some of the places it got me to. The interior had room for a sleeping platform and room for plenty of supplies, and was large enough to wait out major storms until they passed. Coupled with a Yakima Rack and rooftop box, I had surfing, kiteboarding, mountain biking, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, and hiking gear with me, and still achieved on average over 22mpg for the duration of the trip.

Only issues with the van were getting stuck one time in deep snow (driver error), and a seized tensioner pulley for the power steering belt (knife fixed that problem). Tip: BFG A/T’s are a great tire choice for these rigs. IMO, the Toyota 4X4 Van is a great extended travel rig, excellent reliability and economy, and pleasantly surprising off-road abilities.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Cackalak Han said:
Sienna's aren't 4x4--they're AWD. I've heard that the AWD system in the Sienna's weren't that great. Besides, the low low ground clearance of the minivan would limit you to just the paved roads. To me, modding a minivan is a waste of time and $$. You have so much better platforms to work with.

Keep your 2WD and get some chains for the snow. Then get a real 4x4 for your off-road adventures. :ylsmoke:

As others have pointed out, the van he is refering to is the early Toyota Van, not a Sienna. Ours had more ground clearance than most modern SUV's. Our 2wd toured dirt roads all over the Western US and never gave us any problems.

I have looked for the "cherry" 4wd Toyota Van with low miles but never found one. I've even seen some 4wd "camper" models.

calamaridog said:
I have looked for the "cherry" 4wd Toyota Van with low miles but never found one.

Same here. I've been keeping my eyes open for one to come along for years, but have yet to see one. I bet they're out there, but for the most part all I see is the 200k+ beaters, and even those are typically pretty overpriced.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Considering that they were only made in small numbers between about 1987 and 1991 or so, even the "newest" ones are approaching 17 years old, so finding one in cherry condition would be difficult.

It really is too bad they never further developed that idea but I guess they didn't sell in large numbers. We had a very cool Mitsubishi 4wd van in Kuwait and I loved it. It was called the "Space Gear" and it had (I believe) a 2400 or 2600cc Mitsubishi 4 cyl gas engine, 5 speed transmission and 2 speed transfer case.

I thought back then that it would make a very cool "exploration" vehicle. Big enough to sleep inside but small enough to get around even on very narrow trails.

Here's a photo:

SGEAR01.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Funny you should ask, a good freind of mines older brother (Olly Bradstreet for those that know him) runs a Toyota Van website, dedicated to the older setups: http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/

I've been wheeling with them a couple times, amazingly on some somewhat difficults trails (Forest Lake and Rattlesnake for Utah locals). Funny as could be to see them motor up the trail, plus the looks on the faces of others. They've figured out ways to lock them, gear them, lift them a bit, etc :cool:

normal_FL08.jpg

normal_scott_10.jpg

normal_sno6.jpg

normal_Background.jpg

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Canadians are seeing a bunch of JDM imports. Just last week I saw a prime example with a diesel powerplant, 31" BFG AT's and a built in camper package. It was a very nice setup!

Pete

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Perfect timing. I'm sitting in the Bahamas right now and there are a bunch of Toyota and Mitsubishi vans running around. My wife and I have been commenting how cool they'd be for exploring. They're shaped like the old style Toyota vans but are new models (can't think of the names). Too bad we don't get them in the states.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Oh, my bad, guys. I thought he meant the newer AWD vans. Forgot about the old al qaeda vans. :D

I guess it would be a very unique set up. It would be pretty cool to see one of those vans in action. :jump:

corax

Explorer
didn't some of the camper versions even came with a small propane fridge or stove and a sink (I remember seeing ones with a propane tank access door). Some also had the "Ice Maker" - an insulated compartment in front of the shifter that the A/C was ducted into

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach