Trailer brake controler

Toolman

Explorer
all the lights in my TJ have been changed out.. I didn't look for a plug because I didn't know to look. I don't think it has it , I ran all the wires including an extra down the middle aux for crawler lights, eventually when I get to it I will add some lights under neath the trailer for night crawling into camp.

sbwrench

Observer
I bought the Tekonsha Prodigy from a local dealer on friday. As far as wiring it in there is no plug under the dash for it. I will have to splice it in. Looks real simple, only 4 wires to hook up.

GPER

Observer
i use the prodigy in my CJ and in my XJ, I went to a trailer sales looking for another harness to put in the CJ. The trailer sales said they weren't very good. The construction company I work for has them in all of the company trucks. Everyone liked the Prodigy and I do too.

traveler57

Observer
Does JK have the harness?

Just bought a 2010 JK, and i have this same question. So far no one at the dealer seems to know if the harness is there or not. (they say "they never looked." they do know that the Grand Cherokees have this harness under the dash as standard. and they connect the prodigy with a direct connector harness. Very simple and fast. But i have found the official Mopar tech sheets (on the web) on this harness on both the JK and the Grand Cherokee. so it should be there.

I will let you know what i find. New jeep arrives in a few weeks.

Using the Tenkosha Prodigy RF wireless controller w/my Horizon Adventure Trailer: http://www.tekonsha.com/product/details.asp?ProdID=90250&cat=1435.

Easy to set up and works great!

Receiver is attached to the trailer frame near the coupler -- plugs into vehicle 7 pin connector and trailer 7pin connector plugs into receiver. Can easily switch the plug-in transmitter from vehicle to vehicle. No in-cab wiring required. Once the brake controller is properly adjusted, the setting is retained in memory and the transmitter can be removed w/o any further need for wireless communication -- eliminating any concerns about transmitter-receiver communication. Also easy to remove and attach to other trailers, if the trailer is sold. Highly recommended.

TheMike

Adventurer
Yep, I got the Tekonsha P3, Works great. No plug in the JK so you have to wire yourself. Not hard though.

I got the 7-way harness from Mopar for the plug and brake controller wire. That's all there is in the JK if you get the wiring/plug. The harness comes with a blue wire that you run into the cab for the brake controller.

KE5QVT

Observer
96 Land Cruiser

I have mounted the controller and hooked up all the wiring except one....

The wire that goes to a switch brake line...

where do I go for that?

TheMike

Adventurer
To the brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal. DO NOT REMOVE THE SWITCH - it will reqire replacement if you do.

I just checked mine. Tie into the white/violet wire at the switch.

Hope that helps!

You are talking JK RIGHT??? If not, to the same place but without the warning and wire coloring. If I'm not mistaken, it's to the wire that gets power when you apply the brake.

TheMike

Adventurer
Sorry. I responded to the JK install question above and quickly (and wrongly) assumed you were in the same line of install.

Anywho, tie into the wire in the brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal. Test light will tell you which wire is hot when brakes are applied.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Bumping this up.

I just ordered the latest and greatest trailer brake controller from Valley. The Odyssey II. I was almost going to buy the Tekonsha P-3, but the Odyssey is even better in that it can be mounted at any angle, a full 360 degrees, and also 20 degrees side to side. I figure this might work a little better off-road, say going down a steep hill that is off-camber. Who knows, but it was only $5 more so I'm giving it a shot.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Valley/32810.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner