Trailer build based on a utility trailer

wjeeper

Looking at this realistically, I can't justify shelling out the money for a Conquerer, a Chaser, an Oasis or a Kamparoo, (or the PlipPac, no matter how much I like it).

I have to say that I agree with your reasoning! My friend works at a small trailer manufacturing company here in Utah and they make a trailer that looks just like yours that I have thought several times would be ideal for a trail trailer with a spring-over!

If it is put together right a small utility trailer can be every bit as functional out on the trail/ camping plus it has the added bonus of still being used for trips to Home Depot or the dump. Being more multi-functional is a huge bonus! No need for two trailers in your driveway!

Token

Explorer
My Carry-On trailer came with those 12" tires also, 4x8. Found some 15" tires with the same bolt pattern then did the spring over and 3" lift blocks. It now sits level with my lifted Jeep and has been dragged a few hundered miles off road with no problems. Just another inexpensive option (I had the trailer anyway).

Already decided I'd have to do an axle flip.. The 3" blocks ever give you any problems?? Seems to me like they could be problematic.. Blocks just scare me when you're talking about real offroad stuff, be it under a truck with it's own power or a trailer that's being drug by said truck..

I've got to do a bit of measuring to make sure there's enough backspacing on my wheels to work on the trailer.. I've found some inexpensive 5 to 6 bolt conversion spacers that are designed for 5 bolt Mustang (same bolt pattern) to 6 bolt GM.. Seems to be a popular choice for drag racing for some reason, so I'm assuming they'd hold up under a trailer. Anyroads, the spacers will give me an extra 2" of width on each side, so I'm hoping..

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Already decided I'd have to do an axle flip.. The 3" blocks ever give you any problems?? Seems to me like they could be problematic.. Blocks just scare me when you're talking about real offroad stuff, be it under a truck with it's own power or a trailer that's being drug by said truck..

I've got to do a bit of measuring to make sure there's enough backspacing on my wheels to work on the trailer.. I've found some inexpensive 5 to 6 bolt conversion spacers that are designed for 5 bolt Mustang (same bolt pattern) to 6 bolt GM.. Seems to be a popular choice for drag racing for some reason, so I'm assuming they'd hold up under a trailer. Anyroads, the spacers will give me an extra 2" of width on each side, so I'm hoping..

My old carry-on had spring over since day one (actually, day 5 to be exact) and larger 13" wheels with no problems what so ever; the 13s were the largest that would fit under the stock fenders.

Trailer-00.jpg

Not sure about the blocks either. Also don't forget that these carry-ons have 2,000 lbs axles, not sure how well those wheel bearings hold up with larger tires...

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Nice trailer, I'd say that's a good bang for the buck. Been sweet to see it with matching Ruby wheels and tires though ;)
I actually always liked the good old white wagon wheels; so what about going the other way and matching the trailer wheels on the Ruby? :elkgrin:

Token

Explorer
Not sure about the blocks either. Also don't forget that these carry-ons have 2,000 lbs axles, not sure how well those wheel bearings hold up with larger tires...

Hadn't considered weight of the tire/wheel combo as an issue.. I figured if anything it'd be easier on the bearings due to the fact they wouldn't be turning as many times per mile on a 35"..

1speed

Explorer
Hadn't considered weight of the tire/wheel combo as an issue.. I figured if anything it'd be easier on the bearings due to the fact they wouldn't be turning as many times per mile on a 35"..

The 2000lb axle will NOT hold up! I'm running 34's on my trailer and I had to replace mine with a 3500lb axle on the same trip after you saw me in GA. My buddy built an enclosed trailer about the same time on a 4x6 trailer and bent the crap out of his spindle with a moderate load and 31" tires after only about 50 miles of washboard!

A 3500lb axle is cheap insurance!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Here some bad in-garage pics of the Maggiolina mounted on the trailer. (Ignore the Congo Cage on the RTT, the only place I can put it somewhat out of the way)

Trailer005.jpg

As trailers ride pretty harsh, I mounted the cross bars on rubber bushings. Not sure how much it helps.

Trailer006.jpg

Beni approved the RTT

Trailer002.jpg

To be continued ...

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
After visiting the Overland Expo, I was now fully motivated to get my trailer build going. Still, I have no access to a welder or any welding friend nearby, so the entire build has to be weld-free. And, it should be sturdy, functional and on a budget.

I started cutting the wire mesh from where the openings will be.
TrailerApril2010001.jpg

The rest of the wire mesh I covered with vinyl sheeting I got at Lowes. That material worked out very well, lets itself cut very well, is flexible yet still rigid and fully weather proved.
TrailerApril2010004.jpg

As I was getting more and more into my work, I forgot to take pictures. Here now some pics on how far I got after three days. The door to the gas and water can compartment still is missing, all doors have to be covered with the vinyl, still need some locks and latches and tie some other loose ends.
TrailerApril2010007.jpg

TrailerApril2010005.jpg

TrailerApril2010008.jpg

I was running out of the correct size bolts and washers. Guess an other trip to Lowes in order. The boxes offer enough space for all essentials. Between the shelf and the tail gate is enough space for three coolers.
TrailerApril2010011.jpg

Underneath the self space for chairs, table, tarp and other stuff.
TrailerApril2010012.jpg

Not as fancy and elaborate as some builds on this site, but for this being my first attempt to build something like this, I'm pretty happy with my creation so far. :wings:
TrailerApril2010014.jpg

Hope it works all as planed on the trails.

I too, cannot justify the cost of a real adventure trailer, and have been looking at modifying a utility trailer. I've come to the same conclusion, that nothing "just right" exists. This custom build is just excellent, congrats on executing a well-thought-out plan. This has got to be one of the "highest value" builds I've seen.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I "finished" my trailer over the weekend. Well, not really finished, I think it will never be "finished", but to a stage where I can start taking her out camping. Will post some pics over the weekend.

The biggest improvement was actually a 5 minute fix that made me feel a kinda sorta stupid that I did not have that idea myself. :eek: I'll pass it on to y'all, just in case.

The ride of my trailer, which is a basic utility trailer with 3,500lb axle and 2,000lbs trailer springs with no shocks, was very harsh, bouncy and less than satisfactory. Reading the forum and the AT spring write up, I thought that this is the way leaf springs ride and I would just have to live with it, until I read on the Australian off-road camper trailer forum, http://myswag.org/forum/, a comment to make sure the spring shackle can move freely. I checked my trailer - and sure enough - all bolts attaching the shackles to the springs and frame were bubba tight. Once I loosened the bolts and gave the shackles the possibility to move, the ride improved tremendously. Live and learn I guess, and thanks for all the good forums on the web that can compensate for my own lack of common sense :elkgrin:

Jrally

Adventurer
Nicely done. I like it's simplicity and use of a easily purchased chassis. I'm planning on doing something similar in the next year or so, based off a 4x8 that my dad had built in the mid 70's.

-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues