Trailer build based on a utility trailer

Token

Explorer
That's all my wife talked about on the way home :eek:

It's not that difficult to make it workable without the slide..

I've mostly got mine together now (no good pics at the moment).. For a kitchen area I use the tailgate. Used a set of tailgate cables from a CJ to drop the tailgate to a level position and not hanging down.. It gives me a 3'x4' work surface for the stove and whatever else..

When I break down and do some pics, I'll get some detail pics on how to attach the cables.. It's just a bolt, washers, nut and a crush pin/sleeve tot eh eye in the cable to ride on.. Took some careful measuring and a little bit of hole reaming to get everthing to sit level when it was done..

Broncbuster

I am in the Monroe area. I have a few pics- plan on doing a post on it shortly. Here are a few pics of it.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 158

zuren

Adventurer
Any updates to this thread? I'm interested in a trailer for camping and carrying kayaks that are difficult to get on the roof of my car and van. I've been thinking that a Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowes or Northern Tool type trailer with some modifications would be nice middle point between multi-thousand dollar expedition trailer and something you haul mulch with. A couple Thule crossbars bolted to the top rails (like the OP did) would be a nice platform for hauling many things in the slipstream of the vehicle (helping fuel economy)!

To the OP - was modifying your existing Carry-On trailer to ride higher, maybe add shocks and add higher sides not an option? It looks like they make a 4x6 and a 4x8 model although not much with higher sides or solid floors. I can get your old trailer for $399 locally. I just finished a welding course, so I'm shopping for a welder and coming up with ideas of what I could build from scratch and what I could use as a template to modify and suit my needs.

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Any updates to this thread?

Not really any updates. Trailer is about 90% finished of what I originally wanted to do, it is in use and works very well. Might be doubtful if I will ever finish the last 10% :elkgrin:

Jeckyl11.jpg

To the OP - was modifying your existing Carry-On trailer to ride higher, maybe add shocks and add higher sides not an option? It looks like they make a 4x6 and a 4x8 model although not much with higher sides or solid floors. I can get your old trailer for $399 locally. I just finished a welding course, so I'm shopping for a welder and coming up with ideas of what I could build from scratch and what I could use as a template to modify and suit my needs.

My first trailer was a 4x6 carry-on and it worked pretty good. I flipped the axle and replaced the original 12" with 13" rims.
Trailer-00.jpg

But as you said, they don't come in that size with higher sides. When I calculated the costs of having a local shop weld higher sides to it, put in a solid floor, replace the 2000 lbs axle with a stronger one, replace the fenders and tires to accommodate 205-15 versus selling my Carry-On and have a local shop build one from scratch, cost difference was minimal. As you can weld yourself, you might be better off just modifying a carry-on, also with the advantage that - depending on where you live and your local laws - that you have a registered VIN number for the trailer.

wingysataday

Adventurer
I love the simplicity! Not all of us have 5-20k laying around to have one of those bad *** off road trailers custom built! I am having a similar trailer built now myself with a similar design but it will be on 35" mud grapplers that I got on craigslist for $150!! hahha

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Another pic from our last camp:
100_0715.jpg

The trailer also doubles as dog kennel for our Yorkshire Terriers and the Yorkiepoo while camping.
100_0699.jpg

The trailer will not win any beauty awards, but it was easy to make with my limited skills and with material available at the local hardware store. Even though not completely waterproofed, it keeps gear reasonably dry also on long drives in the rain. It is a versatile, hauls pine straw, top soil plants and other stuff and is still fairly light, therefore can be moved around by hand.

Would I do things different? Sure! I mainly would lay out things and measure a lot better beforehand and make detailed and binding sketches for the trailer manufacturer instead of just telling him I need a 4x4x2 trailer with 3,500 lbs running gear but 2,000 lbs springs. And then I would not accept the trailer if it does not meet the plan.

Here the main flaws of this trailer:
  • The trailer ended up being 4" wider than what I requested (the manufacturer's poor measuring skills), which made the box just a little bit wider than the RTT.
  • The trailer tongue should have been about 1 foot longer so I would be able to fully open the tailgate of the Jeep even with the trailer spare wheel and the bumper would not hit the edge of the box when jack knifing (did not think of that)
  • The openings of over the wheels should have been about one inch taller ... (my poor planning)
  • ... but about 4 inches shorter in favor of the left front door, which ended up a wee too narrow (again, me not laying things out before the fabrication)
  • The plywood used for the doors was originally just intended to be temporary to see if stuff works. Well, it works well so I fear I might never replace them with something better looking :eek:
Live and learn, and for this being my first real trailer, I'm really happy with the result. Now I do have to admit that I do have a kind of "would be nice to have" list going, just in case I decide one day to start another trailer :elkgrin:

zuren

Adventurer
Thanks for the pics! I'll definitely have to think a bit more on this. I'm essentially of the same mindset as you:

- off-road trailers are cool but WAY out of my budget (even stripped down models)
- M416 or M101CDN would work but they are either a decent price or decent condition, never both

My buddy keeps telling me to look into a M101A1 or A2 trailer. I think that is too much trailer even if I did get a deal. They are bombproof but 1300 lbs. empty and ride very high. I also need to keep my length in mind. Most of my reasoning to get a trailer is to take my kayak out more for fishing. It is a 16' Wilderness Systems Tarpon that weighs ~85 lbs. 85 lbs. isn't bad until its stretched out over 16 feet and your lifting it up to your head by yourself. Loading onto a trailer would be much easier but I'll have a bit of overhang front and rear.

I looked at a version of the Carry-On 4x6 today at Lowe's. That is definitely a low clearance trailer with short sides. How did you gain the additional clearance on the new trailer? Is it different leaf springs or did they put longer brackets on (along with the spring over and larger wheels)?

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I looked at a version of the Carry-On 4x6 today at Lowe's. That is definitely a low clearance trailer with short sides. How did you gain the additional clearance on the new trailer? Is it different leaf springs or did they put longer brackets on (along with the spring over and larger wheels)?
Nope, just spring over and larger wheels. The clearance difference between the old and the new was not as big as the picture makes it look, just the difference of 13 to 15 inch tires. The difference from my stock carry-on to the spring over lift and 13 was actually quite astonishing.

Both trailers actually have the same 2,000 lbs springs. As I'm not hauling heavy loads, I did not wanted the stiffer 3,500 lbs springs, just the 3,500 lbs axle and spindles for durability. So far the only time my shock-less suspension caused me trouble was on a bad stretch of interstate, where at any speed over 65mph my trailer and the joints in the road would get in a resonance and the trailer would start bouncing like crazy.

BTW, love your 4x4 full size van :)

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
It looks like you have a plank floor on the trailer. What have you done to seal that up to keep dust, water, etc. out?

Love the trailer btw. I think your idea tops my list to steal if ever I go the trailer route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater