Trailer build questions

cr500taco

Adventurer
I want to build up a 4x7 utility trailer to use as a combo 2 dirt bikes hauler and an off road trailer for when I am not hauling the bikes. I am going to be putting a RTT on top. First, what size tires do you guys recommend? I am thinking of 31's to match my Tacoma, then 33's, once I put 33's on the Tacoma. Second, do you guys recommend spring over or is the extra clearance not needed. I am trying to find out what the maximum height is for the RTT with an annex. So, when I build the rack for the tent I still have room for the bikes. The other option is just to haul the bikes in the bed of Tacoma which I currently do now and build just an off road trailer for the RTT and other things that won't fit in the bed of the truck with the bikes.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Or mount the tent on the Tacoma and build a flat bed trailer for the bikes. You could carry extra fuel on the trailer and water in the truck bed.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Or mount the tent on the Tacoma and build a flat bed for the bikes. You could carry extra fuel on the trailer and water in the truck bed.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Thought about that initially, but when I started looking at the trailer builds and seeing the tents on the trailers, I liked that I idea better.

dirtydeeds

For trailer tires, I'd look at some 7.50x16 tires. (Like Jeep Service Tires.) They're about 32" tall and given their bias ply nature are very thin at highway speed. They'll have much less rolling resistance at that point. (Ei, use less fuel to pull.) They're usually a pretty tough tire.

cr500taco

Adventurer
For trailer tires, I'd look at some 7.50x16 tires. (Like Jeep Service Tires.) They're about 32" tall and given their bias ply nature are very thin at highway speed. They'll have much less rolling resistance at that point. (Ei, use less fuel to pull.) They're usually a pretty tough tire.

I will keep that in mind, thanks,.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Another question. I have been looking through the trailer builds and it seems that most of the suspension are springs. What is recommended? I have heard dexter torsion and timbren axle-less work well, also.

Thelgord

Springs: Cheap, Easy, Reliable, Familiar. They have been around forever (literally since horse drawn buggies)

Torsion: A bit more expensive, Have some issues in extreme cold (i.e.: -50f and colder), starting to gain popularity, if the "torsion" rubber in the axel breaks, you need a whole new axel

Timbren: A redesign of the Torsion Axel, making it axel-less as it were. Still fairly new to market and mostly untested "in the wild", though good reviews from early adopters so far.

I am currently build (well my techs are) an expedition trailer in my shop. (I'll post pictures shortly). I copied Box Rocket's design for the most part thus far. A leaf sprung axle is best with the spring on top of the axle. I am going to run 255/85 tires on both the trailer and my 2001 tacoma. There is a slightly used CVT tent here on craigslist with the annex. I plan on putting that on the trailer instead of on my ARE topper on my tacoma. My trailer will have a lid and I am unsure of where it will hinge. I am leaning towards the front of the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat