Trailer Security and the TrailerWatch 2?

TacoDell

Adventurer
While I might make some attempt
by cable locking up to a tree or vehicle and remove the trailer's tongue hitch.
An even better retardent might be to chock/lock the wheels from rotating so even dragging it becomes a hassle.

But otherwise there really is nothing one could do short of having an armed guard playing watch commando
as even a sole thief could easily drag it onto a flatbed trailer and drive away.

Only exception that might save it... is rolling it on a difficult trail that no flat bed trailer dare follow ;)

I have left mine behind before... fully expected to never see it again.
But hey, whatcha know... I'll guess I just got lucky that day.

Or just maybe that Moab mecca has less thieves roving around looking for an easy target !? :)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
My main issue is that the travels I am concerned about will be with family. The poster "pugslyyy" talked about just stopping in a rest stop, and that's what I would do (and have done in the past) if I were by myself. Simple solution and much more economical and timesaving.

However, that's not my case these days.

I've thought about doing something of a "modified" hotel stay combining the rest stop and hotel in one. Get the hotel room, let the family stay in the room and I could sleep in the vehicle as I would in a rest stop. I can still get a shower and whatnot, but still be able to keep an eye on the cargo. Since we also travel with the family mutt, she would make a good alarm system with me in the truck! And then we don't have to deal with pets in the room.

Yeah I've found that even if I get in the hotel room I'm worried that someone is messing with my stuff if I know I left it unsecured. Hard to get good rest.

at the end of the day security just either keeps the honest people honest, or convinces someone to move on to the softer target.

VicMackey

Adventurer
I actually have the same worries when I do a long road trip (trailering a vehicle out to Moab, for example). I end up just cat napping in rest areas because the hassle of dragging everything out of the back of the pickup truck just to get a hotel room for a few hours just isn't worth it.

Speaking as a guy who just drove a soft top 4 door JK with soft upper doors, from Detroit to Utah. I could not agree with the above statement more!

What a PITA to remove all the gear, only to put it all back in 7 hours.

Fursphere

Observer
I actually have the same worries when I do a long road trip (trailering a vehicle out to Moab, for example). I end up just cat napping in rest areas because the hassle of dragging everything out of the back of the pickup truck just to get a hotel room for a few hours just isn't worth it.

This has pretty much become my solution. Sleep in the rig.

That poor guy from the JK Alaska Experience trip had his truck, trailer, and Jeep stolen while he was asleep in a hotel. http://rebrn.com/re/canadian-jeepers-please-be-on-the-lookout-stolen-truck-trailer-a-2733259/

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Some of you guys are pretty high on the paranoid scale. There is always a "what if" scenario. What if you are sleeping in the truck and a gang of 4 people all swarm you with firearms and take the vehicle (with you in it) by force? What if your fancy trailer alarm goes off but it takes you 3 minutes to get back to the trailer and all your stuff is gone? What if you get there in 1 minute and the guy pulls a gun on you?

I'd rather sleep safe and sound in my hotel room with the comfort that my gear was secured from 98% of likely thieves (the quick smash and grab) without also exposing myself to the danger of being mugged/injured/kidnapped/killed while "standing watch" over a bunch of junk.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Some of you guys are pretty high on the paranoid scale. There is always a "what if" scenario. What if you are sleeping in the truck and a gang of 4 people all swarm you with firearms and take the vehicle (with you in it) by force? What if your fancy trailer alarm goes off but it takes you 3 minutes to get back to the trailer and all your stuff is gone? What if you get there in 1 minute and the guy pulls a gun on you?

I'd rather sleep safe and sound in my hotel room with the comfort that my gear was secured from 98% of likely thieves (the quick smash and grab) without also exposing myself to the danger of being mugged/injured/kidnapped/killed while "standing watch" over a bunch of junk.

You are entitled to your opinion and to do what you want. Personally, I don't like leaving my gear out in the open bed of a pickup truck in a hotel parking lot, especially a hotel on an interstate.

I've never worried about somebody messing with an occupied vehicle or campsite, most would-be thieves are opportunistic and have no desire to meet the people they are robbing.

If I have to cower in a hotel room to feel safe then I need to be someplace else. If I can't feel safe sleeping in my vehicle then I need to be someplace else. You do all this wonderful work and prep to sustain your life in the wilderness, but you fail to prepare the most essential element, defending your own life. Choose the proper time and place to sleep in your vehicle and if you do be prepared to defend your life. I never want to end someone's life but can and will if it means preserving mine. He made the choice not me.

Most thefts are crimes of opportunity. If a thief sees something he wants and he thinks no one will see him do so, then he will steal it. Most are snatch and grab. Anything you can do to put items out of sight, or slow him down from taking it is the best approach. Most people today completely ignore alarms as they are use to hearing them going off all the time.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I agree with all of the above. Hence my suggestion on the heavy duty security net. A 1/4" diameter stainless steel cable mesh with 4" openings is going to be awful hard to get anything meaningful through.

And who said I'd be cowering in the hotel room. If I'm just off an interstate exit halfway through a 30 hour drive, you'll find me kicked back in bed after a hot shower with the A/C and TV on.

grogie

Like to Camp
I too have to say I've had my most concern about my trailer and the Jeep itself overnight in a motel parking lot.

A couple of things I do…
Park as close to the front of the hotel as possible, and under a light.
My trailer attacks attention, so other guests seem to help keep an eye on it since people just look at it. If someone was pillaging the trailer it would probably get noticed.
Two heavy duty locks on the lid, and two on the tailgate.
Anything can be defeated of course, so the trailer also has a live GPS tracker somewhere on it.
Also, most of the junk in it is camping related. Anything of real value goes with me into the hotel (firearms, electronics, and the beer!).

As far as when the trailer is at a campsite, besides the typical locks it has, with the RTT open, most people wouldn't know how to close it up and deal with the stuff in it. And it's insured… :)

dstock

Explorer
I ended up going with a hardcover from Diamondback. I didn't want a hard cover originally because I wanted to retain the versatility of a utility trailer, but I had the same concerns leaving the trailer "basecamp" alone while we were out exploring, etc. The Diamondback can support 400lbs on top and after using the trailer to assist in a move recently I found it just as useful to be able to strap items on the top. Also it's great for standing on to get to the RTT awning window supports. Also now without the tarp covering the bed and flapping in the wind, I can actually see what's behind me when towing.

i-KxM5Dp2-L.jpg

i-S7Xk2HQ-L.jpg

If someone really wants to get into it they well but at least it keeps the petty thieves at bay.

JPShooter

Adventurer
I ended up going with a hardcover from Diamondback.

I really like the look of that setup.

I went to their website but don't see any info as to whether they do custom sizes.

I'll have to contact them next week and see what they might be able to fabricate for the M1101.

I would rather not cover the rig, but it may be the best idea.

Might I ask what you paid for that cover?

SamM

Adventurer
The stock military pintle mount was removed from my trailer and a receiver hitch was mounted under the steel drawbar. It is welded and bolted on with Grade 8 hardware. Any hitch can now be used and it can be removed and replaced with a locking hitch pin. My safety chains bolt on through the hitch pin and can be removed too.

As far as everything else. If somebody wants it, they will get it. The most important thing is to not look like a target and you won't be one. I've left stuff out at campsites and never had a problem. Gone for hours, come back everything right where I left it. Camped since I was a kid and have never had something stolen. Motorcycle camping was always my favorite. Minimal equipment, a small tent, stove and sleeping bag. I still try to keep everything to a minimum. My comfort level is the last thing on my mind. If you can get past that, the rest is easy.

SamM

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

dstock

Explorer
I really like the look of that setup.

I went to their website but don't see any info as to whether they do custom sizes.

I'll have to contact them next week and see what they might be able to fabricate for the M1101.

I would rather not cover the rig, but it may be the best idea.

Might I ask what you paid for that cover?

Thanks. I think they build to order, I would definitely give them a call as they were super helpful.

It's not cheap, $1450 plus shipping. I will say that it is a quality made product and worth every penny.

JPShooter

Adventurer
The stock military pintle mount was removed from my trailer and a receiver hitch was mounted under the steel drawbar. It is welded and bolted on with Grade 8 hardware. Any hitch can now be used and it can be removed and replaced with a locking hitch pin. My safety chains bolt on through the hitch pin and can be removed too.

Interesting to see how we all come to the same end.

I converted my lunette to a LockNRoll doing almost the same thing you did with the draw bar and new receiver tube.

It looks like you cut away the 1/4" plate on each side of the drawbar so you had the same 2.5" width remaining to match your receiver tube.

I left the plate on the drawbar sides (which makes it 3"), and then welded on a strip of 2" x 1/4" flat stock to the sides of the receiver tube to make it 3".

Then I made a plate for each side spanning the two bars as you did, but I made mine out of 3/8" material, mostly because I had a large piece of 6" x 3/8" scrap from another project.

I welded the side plates to the receiver tube and then just used the existing bolts from the surge unit.

There's more than one way to skin a cat they say!

IMG_5938.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

Lengthening the chains is my next project.

Last edited:

JPShooter

Adventurer
Thanks. I think they build to order, I would definitely give them a call as they were super helpful.

It's not cheap, $1450 plus shipping. I will say that it is a quality made product and worth every penny.

Thanks for the reply. I figured the price would be right around that point looking at their website. That's a mod that is going to have to wait, too much money dumped into this project already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online