Transmission/radiator Cross Contamination

bigdog

Adventurer
There has been lots of talk on CF about radiators failing and contaminating the trans fluid with radiator coolant. When this happens the cars begin to shift poorly, there is a "strawberry milkshake" in the radiator and Nissan is not paying for the new transmisions becasue they claim the radiator (which is not a warrentied item) failed causing the transmission to fail.

So my question is, how many folks on this board have experianced a similar probelm with their Nissan. We know this affects 05/06 Frontiers and Xterras but wonder what other years and platforms are also experianing this problem.

I am also curious to know what folks are doing to prevent this from happening on their truck.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Your only option to stop it occuring is to add a seperate cooling rad for the gearbox.

I had a similar thing happen on a burb in venezuela, stupid design if ask me !

Slicky72

Adventurer
Yup bypass the rad and use a separate trans cooler, this happened to a friend of mine and it cost him a small fortune in fluids to flush both the rad and trans. The truck seemed to drive fine afterwards but got the axe by my friend who is sadly without an X now.

Goldfish

Observer
I just purchased a B&M Supercooler that I am going to install behind the existing trans cooler. I will by pass the radiator all together.

bigdog

Adventurer
Your only option to stop it occuring is to add a seperate cooling rad for the gearbox.

that does seem to be what most folks are doing. I think all Frontiers already have an external trans cooler, so the bypass is easy - assuming that external cooler is big enough to handle the job on its own.

Strizzo

Explorer
There has been lots of talk on CF about radiators failing and contaminating the trans fluid with radiator coolant. When this happens the cars begin to shift poorly, there is a "strawberry milkshake" in the radiator and Nissan is not paying for the new transmisions becasue they claim the radiator (which is not a warrentied item) failed causing the transmission to fail.

So my question is, how many folks on this board have experianced a similar probelm with their Nissan. We know this affects 05/06 Frontiers and Xterras but wonder what other years and platforms are also experianing this problem.

I am also curious to know what folks are doing to prevent this from happening on their truck.
i assume you mean the radiator isn't covered in the powertrain warranty, but only the bumper to bumper warranty? it seems that the radiators, along with the rearends, seem to fail around 40-60k, just as the warranties are finishing up.

...or is there something we should all know about where the dealers are denying warranty responsibility on the radiators as a wear part, like brakes or something?

tombodad

Adventurer
AFAIK, this problem only affects US Frontiers/Pathfinders/Xterras, 05-08 (09?) with the 4.0 and AT.

I had this problem in my 06 Frontier. Around 90k, I began to notice a slight shudder going in/out of OD. Kinda felt like driving over a rumble strip. I pulled my tranny dipstick, and it looked like pepto. Pink and milky, instead of pink and clear. Not good.
Because of my mileage, and the extent of contamination, I decided to replace my radiator and cooling system altogether. I put in a new radiator (www.radiatorbarn.com, great prices, good service), thermostat, and I looked at the pump but its good. Also did the bypass at this time.

Frontiers with the tow package, or with the Nismo Off-road from factory will have external coolers. This external cooler is enough for cooling the trans as long as you don't pull exceedingly heavy loads up mountains frequently. This bypass can be done for basically free, just remove the top line (out) from the trans where it connects to the radiator, then loop it back to the bottom line's spot (in) on the trans, effectively looping the hose, bypassing the radiator. Just remove the unneccesary other line, and cap the holes if you choose.

The clutches in the torque converter do not get along well with any water content in the fluid, causing the shudder.
Going to Nissan first, they say trans needs to be replaced, at the tune of $4500 :smileeek:
Went to a trans shop, say it could be rebuilt for $3800.

However, I didn't think it was that bad yet, so I did a series of three flushes (not just drain and fill. the trans shop did it with the pump thing), driving about 150 miles in between each flush. The first one, we pumoed about 20 qts through there, and as each went on, the shudder got better and better. With the third and final flush, I put in Amsoil ATF and **** improver, and now its perfect!:victory:

Total expenses: about 650, including radiator, flushes, and all fluids. Much, Much better than 4500!

Disclaimer: YMMV

Warranty note: There are a bunch of foks feeling all entitled on other forums and demanding legal action, etc due to this problem. However, it is not Nissan's fault, nor their problem to fix. They could not have known that their radiators (sourced anyways) would fail internally after 50-90k miles. They will not honor the trans under warranty, as it was caused by an uncovered part, the radiator. (which is of course, a maintenance item, not intended to last the life of the vehicle anyways.)

Let me know if anybody has any questions.

obscurotron

Adventurer
This is also becoming a problem on some Toyota vehicles of the 98-2002 vintage (I see it mostly on 4Runners).

While not entirely on point, I have noticed that folks get their transmissions back to 'normal' by flushing the heck out of the gearbox (and the cooling system), but eventually, be it 2000 mile later, or in one case 10,000 miles later, the gearboxes all eventually fail.

Hopefully whatever Nissan is putting in its rigs will in fact survive with just a good and plentiful flushing. In Toyota land, most folks have been swapping in external coolers (Hayden 678 and 679 come to mind, with at least one person I know of running a smaller 677), with no ill effects.

bigdog

Adventurer
i assume you mean the radiator isn't covered in the powertrain warranty, but only the bumper to bumper warranty? it seems that the radiators, along with the rearends, seem to fail around 40-60k, just as the warranties are finishing up.

...or is there something we should all know about where the dealers are denying warranty responsibility on the radiators as a wear part, like brakes or something?

actually what the dealers are telling folks is that the tranny is not covered under the drivetrain warrenty because the failure was not caused by the faulty workmanship of a part under warrenty. So since it was the radiator that destroyed your tranny, neither the tranny or the radiator are under warrenty.

bigdog

Adventurer
AFAIK, this problem only affects US Frontiers/Pathfinders/Xterras, 05-08 (09?) with the 4.0 and AT.

I think that is right. But no one can confirm if that is because something changed in the '09s or they just don't have enough mileage on them yet. But certainly all 05-08 owners of these platforms should be aware.

AlabamaWill

Observer
I have a 06 Frontier Nismo with 115,*** miles on it and the only problems I have incounter are a rear axle seal went out at about 104,*** mi and my driver side catalytic converters went out at 90,*** mi (Nissan covered it) and my passenger catalytic converter at about 100,*** mi ( Nissan will not cover it). But Ive been told that the converter failer is due to the ethanol in the gas. This is the first Ive heard about this cooling/ tranny failer, this really sucks; Im on the road alot and really dont want to be stranded some were. thanks for the heads up guys.

01tundra

Explorer
FWIW - It happens with the 1st Gen Tundra's also, I just changed my cooling system up to avoid it. Not sure if it will help, but I'll post my build thread below in case anyone needs some ideas for coolers, fans, and such. I actually did some of my original research into this on a Nissan forum I ran across. The info on the coolers is on pages 14 & 15.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18722&page=14

Last edited:

tombodad

Adventurer
Will -
You don't need to be too worried. Since you have a nismo, you have an external cooler anyways, all you have to do is bypass it. Its free!

penski61

Observer
bypassed with a new 24k gvw cooler added
P5154997.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online