travel trailer

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Take a look at a Chalet, they are a pop up so to speak, but are hard walled and less than 30 seconds to set up. Offer most options that you want or need. Also offer a trail boss version. More than adequate for most fire road type trails. Not rock crawling. I have had two. I would buy another in a heart beat..

Bob

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
We have a LivinLite 16DBS which has what you are looking for and is very nice. I recommend it. They do offer an "off-road" package, too...

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
How about a fiberglass egg trailer, like a Casita or Scamp?

I agree; sounds like a 16' or 17' Casita would fit your bill. I am currently restoring an old 16 foot Casita and there is definitely a lot of potential. There will be a stationary bed in the rear.

(Side note: Do yourself a favor and buy a ready-to-camp one and not a project somebody else started and then abandoned … just saying)

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks for the great suggestions. I will be checking them out. I might be limited to what is available close by El Paso or Albuquerque. I am cursed with wanting immediate gratification.

Kosmo

Adventurer
Hi:

What hybrid did you have? How did it handle gravel, rough roads? I am looking for something that will not shake apart, and can be used as a basecamp.

I am looking at Roo, Shamrock, (Same) Jayco, Kodiak, Starcraft, Living Lite. Thoughts?

Thanks

Kosmo

fortel

Adventurer
Hi:

What hybrid did you have? How did it handle gravel, rough roads? I am looking for something that will not shake apart, and can be used as a basecamp.

I am looking at Roo, Shamrock, (Same) Jayco, Kodiak, Starcraft, Living Lite. Thoughts?

Thanks

Kosmo

We had a 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS for 5 years. Enjoyed it quite a bit. No problem keeping the interior cool with bunk ends deployed during summer and the heated mattresses did a good job in the early spring and late fall trips. Our main headache was trying to keep wind driven rain from working its way through the front bunk hatch seal while driving. It went back to the dealer twice to be resealed and never got the problem totally corrected. Fit and finish was typical RV construction. Not sure I would want to take it down any kind of gravel or rough road. Had enough trouble keeping screws and staples from vibrating out on paved roads and the black and gray drain valves hung really low.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I am still looking but things are hold until I get job. The R pod looks nice. I did see a Cricket trailer and really liked the look. The trailer is outrageously expensive for a empty box with no amenities.

Kosmo

Adventurer
So seems like that is one vote against the Rockwood Shamrock/Roo.
Anybody ever seen a second hand Adak Outpost for sale?

I am also thinking of a Moby 1 XTR, but it is really back to a RTT situation.

mep1811: Not sure you saw this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ITION-Reviews?highlight=hybrid+travel+trailer

Also I started a similar thread, asking specifically about a modifiable hybrid travel trailer.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/140865-Hybrid-Travel-Trailer-Base

Good luck with the job and trailer selection.

Kosmo

Adventurer
@Don:

Will do. Seems like a big issue is the cabinets etc shaking loose. Doors falling off. Beyond that I guess a solid structure It would seen that an as solid a laminate structure for walls ceiling and floors would be a good start. As I mentioned above, having never looked deeply at the construction techniques, goevergreen Ascend, seems like it might be a good start.

That being said, the Jayco Baja (I think they only made them for a limited number of years) my be a good option.

Anyway, I will keep researching, and adding the good feedback I get here, and form other sites.

Last edited:
B

BPD53

I have been happy with my LiviLite 13BHB. I have found it to be pretty durable. I must say that it tows great, but catches a lot of wind. I think it was a good buy considering the cost of an Airstream. I call it a poor mans airstream. I ordered mine to suit me. The company built it pretty well just like I asked. Little things like using a residential window air unit instead of roof air. I needed space for solar. The price was "ok" for a small trailer. I would buy again. I especially like the new 14 tandem axle trailer without the slide. Mine weighs in under 2500 ready to roll. Good luck making a choice. I looked for over a year before I pulled the trigger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 52

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater