travel trailer

Pathwacker

Observer
Best off-road campers are of course truck campers. More specifically popup truck campers made by four wheel campers, hallmark, and northstar. Palomino makes them but are junk. I like hallmark ute and FWC grandby. The grandby can be had with cassette pottie but no gray tank. Sink and shower to an external tote tank. Northstar 850sc. (Sc means self contained). 3/4 trucks w long bed. Northstar and 3/4 truck is expensive. The grandby is half or 3/4 long bed. Always check payload labels on every truck/suv Heck ecodiesel 1/2 dodge loaded with options could have only 700lbs of payload (grocery hauler/commuter truck only).

Pathwacker

Observer
The wdh is for sending weight to trailer axle and steering axle. Not using wdh could unload weight in steering axle and cause front tires to lift off road. ( crash ,death, to you or other drivers). I use a wdh on my k2500. Without too much bounce. One time without wdh I hit a dip and shredded 7 pin trailer wire, loss brake function, charge wire, and several lights. Lucky to be in a hd sub and not a lessor vehicle.

Towed with k3500 and wrecked twice. Heavy truck and piss poor brakes.

Pathwacker

Observer
e19f095ea9813811a1f2cb9bea86249d.jpg

8 lug load range e 85 psi tires

Pathwacker

Observer
Kosmo. The wdh weighs 100 plus pounds and deducts from truck payload. Hitch weight and tongue weight eats into payload and you then would have the remaining payload for passengers and bags of chips

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I know I referenced the Jayco Baja on the previous page, they make a larger model that is a hybrid with two queen pop outs. (25k is the model)... the deck on the front may be of benefit, or it may be a nuissence. But you've mention the possibility of modifying the trailer a bit. You could likely remove the deck, shorten the tongue a bit, and save some weight and length all in one shot.

28486-1.jpg

another solid option IMO could be a Forest River Wolf Pup 17rp toy hauler. The benefit of a toy hauler is easy generator access/install, usually larger volume on board water tanks, and due to the design of loading toys in the rear, the floorplan is usually more open feeling.

5931225_5.jpg

images

2013_ForestRiver_WolfPup_17RP.jpg

They've got bunks up front for the kids, and the rear couch folds down to a bed....

Edit: Just saw your comment on selling the house and being on the road for a while. This may not be a comfortable option for an extended trip. Its a pretty small set up for a whole family to feel comfort and minimal privacy. and a very minimal sized wet bath.

However, I still think toy haulers could be a solid option. Forest river has a larger platform than the Wolf pup, called the Gray Wolf. Something like the 25RR floorplan maybe? I know you are concerned with payload, and generally toy haulers invite a heavy tongue weight. But they also offer a lot in the name of storage, and you could really eliminate a lot of the gear inside the vehicle and place in the "garage" portion of the trailer. Thus balancing out the tongue a bit, as well as removing some of the weight in the tow vehicle at the same time.

They have a pretty nice looking travel trailer with a slide out as well. Its shorter in length, to hopefully help you on those tighter roads and parking.

its the 23DBH

Zw_640.jpg

watermark.php

img.ashx

2015-forest-river-rv-cherokee-grey-wolf-488-p5.jpg

I don't have any first hand experience with any of these trailers. I just also have a family of 4 and have racked my brain numerous times trying to figure out a suitable trailer for my needs

Last edited:

Kosmo

Adventurer
Expo Trailer Option Family of Four

Hi:

With a family of four planning on touring the Americas for three years, we settled on a 24 foot Kodiak Hybrid.

We purchased a 2010 Kodiak 214.
Unloaded Trailer weight 4069 lbs
GVWR 5500 loaded
Carrying Capacity:1,431 lbs.
Hitch Weight:373 lbs.
Overall Length:24'1"
Exterior Height:9'8
Sleeps:6-8
Fresh Water:38 gallons
Gray Water:39 gallons
Black Water:28 gallons

Planning on flipping the axles, or putting in an air lift to increase ground clearance.

Certainly won't be using it on rocky woods roads, but the test in my mind is something I can pull onto and off the beach in Baja without getting stuck.

Took it on a first test run, 370 miles, 600 kms to North Bay Ontario. So far so good. 12 mpg with the WK CRD.

Have since taken it on a few trips. Only real modifications so far have been to start ripping out the extra decor, interior skirting boards to reveal extra storage, curtain boxes, and start planning where to add extra shelving drawers.

This is not meant to be an off-road trailer, since we are planning on covering the Americas, most will be highway driving, but we want to be able to get it into some rougher places without destroying it. Will likely fabricate a steel, or aluminium rock guard, rock slide to go around plumbing.
The idea, is that we get the extra space, two 4' wide beds that fold out, which do not require the entire shielded in housing.

I already posted this on a different thread, but wanted to post here. I will likely start a build thread soon, but so far have only begun tearing things out of it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...onroad-offroad-platform?p=1890479#post1890479

On our first and second trips we were 9 & 7 days boondocking and this was a good test.

Future Improvements.

Proper revamp of charging system (Stock systems designed to be plugged in at all times at RV parks. Actually entire RV industry seems to be tied into this, so can be difficult to get good info about solar panels, chargers, cabling etc.)
Better monitoring, control of water systems
Axle flip, depending how much highway mpg we will lose.
Skid plate for sewer plumbing (We don't plan to try and get it across the Rubicon, but want to be somewhat able to go off-road without crippling the trailer.

Cheers

K

WK and Kodiak 214.jpg

Kosmo

Adventurer
Randy:

We looked at the bunk beds also. May well have been the better option. Folding ends in can be a pain especially in the rain.

Have you had it off pavement much?

Cheers

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater