treadwright guard dogs

tommudd

Explorer
Buddy of mine had one set that lasted for about 10,000 miles before two had tread separations within 2 weeks time.
They made it right but he ended up waiting on new tires for over 2 weeks while they made some and shipped them
He then had one of the new replacements go bad ( same thing) so he finally gave up and bought new.
For me if its a trail rig/ not going too far and have another vehicle then maybe, main DD then no buy tires that you can get easily anywhere

nucktaco

Adventurer
yeah ive decided to go with another set of km2's in 35x12.5x17 and then a couple guard dogs for spares.

and im going to be looking at going with upgraded cvs. oem are around 500 my cost and the lordco/napa brand are garbage so might as well upgrade to something worthwhile.

paranoid56

Adventurer
I agree with the above. Treadwrights are for around town beater trail rigs. I would never set out on a 5000 mile journey through the wilderness with any set of retreads.

This is not just conjecture - the glaring shortcoming of retreads is that the quality/durability of the whole tire is subject to the donor tire that was retreaded. It might have a decent looking mud terrain tread and it might have good traction... but it might be built on a 2-ply sidewall junk tire carcass. And you have no way of knowing.

Not worth the risk. A proper adventure demands proper tires.
you do know what carcass they use so you do know what ply sidewalls they use.

I heard too many horror stories about the tread coming unbonded from the carcass and causing carnage to get a set. My vote is for new tires.
a lot of these stem from the crap tires made in the 80s-90s. technology has come a long way

All those big hunks of tire you see on the road when you drive down the freeway? Those are retreads. Avoid them. The $10 dollars a tire you save buying retreads won't cover your next tow.
lol, um no. i would say yes some are retreads, but most of those 95% of them are from under inflated tires which get the sidewall stupid hot then get torn apart.

i am currently running these on my tacoma with around 15k miles on them. so far these have been great tires. and at under 100 bucks each they are a great deal.

2000LJ

Observer
I currently have this tire on my dodge 2500 (they were on it when I got it used) but I am not impressed with them in the 6-7k miles I have put on them. They seem to be wearing out quickly and will not balance out at all. I have tried 3 times at different shops.

They have about 10k miles on them and are about 50% life left already which is about as good as a sticky rock crawler tire on pavement.

I will say, I won't be buying a set for any of my trucks after my experiences with them. No tread separation yet but I am just waiting for the day. Going to try to make through the winter this year and buy new next year.

That's my 2cents

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
you do know what carcass they use so you do know what ply sidewalls they use.

Right... after you buy them. And what if they are made from some bottom dollar donors? You now have cool looking, aggressive mud tires that will slice open at the first encounter with a sharp rock. What a waste of money.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I currently have this tire on my dodge 2500 (they were on it when I got it used) but I am not impressed with them in the 6-7k miles I have put on them. They seem to be wearing out quickly and will not balance out at all. I have tried 3 times at different shops.

They have about 10k miles on them and are about 50% life left already which is about as good as a sticky rock crawler tire on pavement.

I will say, I won't be buying a set for any of my trucks after my experiences with them. No tread separation yet but I am just waiting for the day. Going to try to make through the winter this year and buy new next year.

That's my 2cents

Probably a silly question... did you follow the Treadwright recommended balancing procedure and make sure the shop(s) did it this way?

Curious why you're waiting for a tread separation, is there something that gives you an indication a tire or tire on your vehicle is going to do this?

Right... after you buy them. And what if they are made from some bottom dollar donors? You now have cool looking, aggressive mud tires that will slice open at the first encounter with a sharp rock. What a waste of money.

With the old Treadwright in South Dakota you could (and should) specify matching tire/brand carcass and they only used certain tires from major manufacturers.

A little research or knowledge before posting sure goes a long way...

Edit:

Treadwright FAQ:

CAN I GET TIRES WITH MATCHING CASINGS (CORES)?

Yes. We will always strive to send out a matching set of the same brand of tires (The model within brand may vary; i.e. 4 Yokohama tires with 3 being Yokohama A/T casings and one a Yokohama A/TS casing). If we cannot send out a matching brand set we will attempt to call or email you to see if we can send you something other than a matching set.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
My hang up with them is tires have a designed life cycle, with some obvious cushion built in. How many heat cycles is a carcass designed to take? If I had a set of tires built on tires from a mall crawler maybe not such a bad deal. I wouldn't want to try to double the carcass life of any of the tires that are on my vehicles. I understand that over the road trucks generally have retreads on all but the steer axles...(why do you suppose that is?), but at the same time, most of those tires are designed to be reused.

I've got no dog in this fight, just throwing my opinion out there. Plenty of places to cut corners, Chinese knock off lights, Edgestar 'fridge, etc. I can be the king of cheap, but choose not to cut corners on the vital stuff, vehicle parts, safety/recovery gear, etc, mostly because I'm old, my doc says I'm fat and I don't want to have to walk out from ANYWHERE!:sombrero:

paranoid56

Adventurer
sadly yes, they use **** BFG tires lol. they only use name brand tires.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I had a set on my 84 Chevy they worked for the money. Came with matching bfgs and I got 20k out of them before I sold the truck. Not many problems the truck got ran hard alot . Would I go back probably not but at the time its what I could afford.

ludeykrus

Observer
I did a lot of research on them a little while back, and decided to go after a set... There were no real valid negative points that I could find. They were back ordered for a great deal of time when I tried to place my order, unfortunately, so I had to go with another brand. Guess they aren't having a problem selling...

paranoid56

Adventurer
I think they are having a harder time finding good carcuses to make retreds with. i know when i got mine they said they were looking for more. luckily mine only took 2 weeks to get made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner