treadwright guard dogs

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A load E on a Taco isnt a legit comparison though, at least with regard to tread wear.

In your case you may benefit in the tread wear category, but you pretty much loose out in every other category.

You talk about air down.... good luck getting those Load E tires to do you any good aired down, with a truck that weighs at little as a Taco does.

A load E on a truck that NEEDS a load E would be a legit comparison.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Buying tires to save money means you are stuck with your choice for a long time.
Exactly. Tires (for most of us) are a long-term investment. If you buy crap tires you will be cursing them long after you have forgotten how much money you "saved" buying them. And if you end up replacing them early, well, there goes your "savings" right there.
I don't generally subscribe to the "buy the best and cry once" philosophy on most things including vehicles. But tires are the rare exception just because the cost of premature failure is so high.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Exactly. Tires (for most of us) are a long-term investment. If you buy crap tires you will be cursing them long after you have forgotten how much money you "saved" buying them. And if you end up replacing them early, well, there goes your "savings" right there.
I don't generally subscribe to the "buy the best and cry once" philosophy on most things including vehicles. But tires are the rare exception just because the cost of premature failure is so high.

Agree with you 100 percent. Not skimping on the 4 little contact patches that keeps my family safe!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I didn't consider the purchase of Treadwright Guard Dogs (315/70R17) for my Jeep to be "skimping." I bought them for their features - the tread pattern of the right aggressiveness, the quality BFG A/T KO casings, and the addition of the innovative "kedge grip" crushed glass and walnut shell particles to the tread compound for increased traction in snow and ice, since I do a lot of on- and off-road driving in snow country. The fact that they were so much less expensive than brand-new tires was just an added incentive to give them a try.

In 25,000 miles of hard driving (including 300 off-road miles in Death Valley, several trips through the Rubicon, countless other offroad trips, and daily driving including towing a trailer) I had zero complaints about their performance and only one criticism of them: they're noisy because they do not have a variable pitch to the tread pattern. Regarding their traction, they were terrific off-road and in snow/ice, and they were on par with every other tire I've run on dry asphalt. I only run offroad tires through the first half of their treadlife so I sold them for 2/3 what I paid for them new and replaced them with Cooper Discoverer ST-MAXXs.

I didn't get another set of Treadwrights not because I was in any way dissatisfied with their performance, but rather because I wanted a quieter set of tires and I was surprised by how much the price of the Treadwrights has gone up under their new ownership. The differences I've found with the switch to the Coopers are primarily how much quieter they are and how much better the traction is on wet roads than the Treadwrights. Whatever proprietary rubber blend Cooper uses makes a big improvement in wet-roads traction compared to every other tire I've ever driven over the last 25 years.

Treadwrights aren't the bargain they once were, but they're still a good solid choice. If you have the extra money to spend though, I wholeheartedly recommend the ST-MAXX as the new benchmark in the hybrid all terrain/mud terrain category.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
See here in lies the issue of the idea of treadwrights. You mention quality BFG casings. Yes, BFG casings are quality.....WHEN new. You are buying tires that are already worn in the sidewalls. NOPE. NOT ME!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner