treadwright tires

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I hope there isnt a thread on this already, but on my last little trip my truck did great and tires were fine in the mud, rocks, sand, but they were garbage in the snow and ice. I was looking at a more aggressive tread because now the suburban isn't my dd. I like the sound of the Goodyear Wranglers but i called discount and even if they give me some money for my old tires it still cost like 1100 bucks which is money i don't really have right now. I have been kicking around the idea of going with Treadwrights for a few years and the price is unbeatable, id be able to get a full set in the size i want for under 500. Has anyone used these on a full size vehicle and and how do they hold up? Ive read great reviews on them but it seems like all the reviews are either people running them on pavement all the time or trail only rigs that just get trashed. Im planning on doing some longer trips over longer distances so i want something thats capable but most of all reliable so i dont want it seperating or anything. Also i still need the ability to pull a large 2 horse trailer. What do you guys think? heres the ones i was thinking

https://www.treadwright.com/p-55-285-75r16-guard-dog-m-t-d.aspx

and heres my truck a 1992 k2500 Suburban
7a7e1d4e.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I had them on two fullsize Jeeps. 33x12.5 MT. I had no problems with them - my longer review is somewhere in the treadwright thread.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
ok thanks ill try and find your review. Im just worried about them for long distance trips mostly offroad

timh

Explorer
I tried a set, didn't have good luck personally. I don't want to bash the company in an open forum so I won't say much more on here. PM me if you want some more info.

tmac

Adventurer
Having a more aggressive tread may not help you in snow and ice. I run the BFG KM2s and they are a aggressive tread. They are garbage IMHO in snow and ice. I took a trip up the Mt. Lemmon control road last year after a good snow fall. The temps were cold enough to freeze the roads and I did not have any confidence in my tires. They would just slide when slight braking was applied:Wow1:, good thing I had 4low to help slow down, any sudden stops would have not been possible. The issue is they have no siping, just big flat blocks of rubber which do not provide much traction in the snow/ice. Perhaps a narrow tire in the tread might work better. I mention the siping just because the Treadwrights you link to do not have any siping on them.. If you planning on driving in ice and snow a lot then I would try to find tires that are snow rated. The tires you picked are 11" wide and may float pretty good in the snow and not cut thru to give you traction. Hopefully others with more snow/ice experience will chim in.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
yea i dont plan on driving in snow alot since i live in Tucson lol but it just bothered me how bad it seemed that my geolanders did in the snow on the mt lemmon control road with snow, it was a pretty bad road but with any incline they just slipped all over the place, my 4lo was all that got us anything but if it started to slip slightly it was all over and wed be stuck. I guess u can only expect so much out of tires lol and mine now do great in mud, rocks, sand, and just general traction offroad and perform well on the highway also but not great in snow.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
it seems like most people have had good experiences with them and the people that had issues callled them and they got new tires sent to them . I think for the price ill have to atleast give them a shot and ill still have my geolanders if i find i cant stand them and their horrible

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
A good friend of mine ordered the BFG ATs version of the Treadwrights and they were awesome. You could not tell they weren't actual BFGs (he got BFG AT cases). They went on his '08 four door Tacoma and worked very well. I was going to order the same ones you are considering, but found a lightly used set of procomps super cheap. I ran the Goodyear MTs that the Treadwrights are molded from, and they worked just fine in the snow. I live in Canada and run a snow plow in winter so i have a bit of a clue about snow driving. Unless you buy a dedicated winter tire, nothing short of studs or chains is worth much on real ice. The long and short of it is, for Tucson and area you will be fine with the weight of a Suburban on the MTs in snow.

moscar45

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a set myself, but after shipping costs, it just isn't as attractive. Perhaps its cheaper to ship to your location.

To ship those tires to my place in NY ($115) would make them $152.75 a piece. Lowball the install at $12 a pop and $165 for a retread on the truck just doesn't resonate well . I can get a set of name brand tires for $650 if I wait for a sale or a during buy 3 get 1 free promotion. They won't be MTR's, but neither are the guard dogs if I'm being honest with myself. If shipping was taken out of the equation, I'd likely give them a shot.

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a set myself, but after shipping costs, it just isn't as attractive. Perhaps its cheaper to ship to your location.

To ship those tires to my place in NY ($115) would make them $152.75 a piece. Lowball the install at $12 a pop and $165 for a retread on the truck just doesn't resonate well . I can get a set of name brand tires for $650 if I wait for a sale or a during buy 3 get 1 free promotion. They won't be MTR's, but neither are the guard dogs if I'm being honest with myself. If shipping was taken out of the equation, I'd likely give them a shot.

This is my take as well. It's not knocking the retread tires, but the math worked out that way for me as well. I always do better buying somewhere locally after considering shipping. Discount Tire Direct comes close with the free shipping, but I can find places that match or beat it. I got my last set of BF Goodrich at Sam's for $111 per tire in 265/75r16. The Bridgestone Dueler in 245/75 for my Jeep were $140.

So I have nothing against retreads, but given a choice between them and a new tire for the same price, I take the new. I will admit that I haven't priced anything 33" or larger. Those may well have a better saving margin on the retread tires.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
yea when you add it all together like that it definitely doesnt seem as appealing especially because i have to factor in the fact that ill probably always worry about them, and if im way far out the last thing i want is to be worried about my tires.

poriggity

Explorer
I looked at them for a while, but then came to the realization that it didn't make sense mathematically after shipping and having them installed.. And I also wasn't really comfortable with the idea of retreads on my truck that sometimes carries an 11' slide in camper...
Scott

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I have a set of Treadwright Warden A/Ts in 245/75 16 load range E on my 2001 Yukon XL 2500 that have over 25K on them and I still have half the tread left. We live in the mountains of Colorado and get plenty of snow every year, the treadwrights are AWESOME in my openion and one of the best tires I have ever had on a vehicle and the price wasn't too bad either :wings:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach